AC Lithium Merc

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

I have been slack with posting but better late than never. These are images of car near complete and ready for inspection (fingers crossed)....... The car goes very well!!ImageImageImage
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

and one more..... Image
Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Electrocycle »

nice!

I'll have to drop by and have a look now that it's complete :)
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

And thanks to Geoff.....GTTooling for welding the complex mount and constructing adaptor plateImage
EV2Go

AC Lithium Merc

Post by EV2Go »

what gives with the steering rack... looks like it was designed for LHD and someone was too lazy to make a new one for RHD. Was this deliberate to clear something on the original ICE configuration?
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

yes the rack is interesting.....but it is original (euro car lhd I guess) and it did clear old ICE. now clears battery box. I needed this last box to get all 96 batteries in and still keep weight distribution as original with none in the boot..I think it is actually a good safety thing as well as the "crumple" is favorable.. Speaking of crumple if I could just get the airbags to work!!!(needs to recognise motor etc) Image
gttool
Groupie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by gttool »

Looking good Lester,
was a tight fit with that box looks very neat
how did you go with that one drive shaft?
Geoff
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

Merc has been very helpful..... Sold me a new correct shaft at cost.... (nearly 70% off) which was not far off wrecker prices so all good. Yes box was a tight fit (as I suspected but really neatly fitted exactly where old block was so should not affect crumple.....
Sawnoff
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Sawnoff »

Is that an A-class Merc? The floor was originally designed to package a fuel cell system: perfect space for the batteries! Neat conversion, well done!

Your motor looks like the Azure Dynamics AC24. Goes well you say. It'd be great to get some acceleration times - if you get a chance. Did you source the motor from Blade or direct from the US?
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

Hi Sawnoff.
1) Yes there is 220mm within the floor space which makes for great weight distribution.It is a b-class (sort of lwb a-class) If I was doing this again I would go for older shape (lighter) but this one came up with a blown motor
2) AC24LS
3) "goes well you say" ....do I detect a note of sarcasm? I do understrand your question given the rap BUT:LS version in wye has
significantly more power. Power improves dramatically with voltage. 144v is very poor...307v is much better! Image
4)ac24ls unit is also light in weight....I needed this as I still wanted a 4 seater..went over weighbridge yesterday with fingers and toes crossed and am 30 kg under max with 4 persons ....
5) On the way to weigh-in hit 120km/hr...ok it took a while but keeps up with traffic well and glides up hills....
6) Do not use unit if you want car like White Zombie Image Image
Sawnoff
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Sawnoff »

No sarcasm - I have had the AC24LS on my radar in the past because it is a ready-to-go system that has been proven in a number of conversions, and I don't have the right technical background to confidently create something out of bits and pieces. The light weight is a real advantage in my Karmann Ghia project as I only have 350kg available for the EV bits, including batteries.

I went off the AD set-up because I had zero repsonse to a number of phone calls and emails to their Australian distributor, and the folks in the US just referred me back to the Australian crowd when I tried the direct approach.

Another reason for my waning intrest are the modest output figures of the AC24LS in comparison with other AC motors (Tn/Tp = 2!) considering the price, but the peak figures are better than the original ICE of my Ghia. I'm not after tyre squealing acceleration, but I don't want to give the critics anything to scoff at either!

How smooth is the acceleration - any peaks or spikes?
Have you got regen working through the UMOC44 controller?
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

1) No I was not offended but I am aware of the critics
2) Light weight is a definite advantage but high voltage and wye is critical. So chose batteries accordingly. I fitted 96 x 100ah T/S as I wanted easily >100km. However even 40 or 60 would be fine... There is some talk of even higher voltages being better?
3)Blade was easy...talk to Fariba Blade ...she was helpful. Needed to pay up front... all ok....elecric auto were also happy to sell but price was similar and wanted to support aus.
4)Very smooth at startoff and no dips or spikes..slight vibration at 4000rpm but this is not the motor....(possibly adaptor?)
5) regen is great and progressive (amount controlled by throttle posn)and have it working through brake light. I use the brakes much less than normal
6)I have a manual gearbox (car was auto) with a 12v servo driving the clutch for changes between 1-2-3. I do use 1st for brisk acc to 50km/h 2nd fine to 70km then 3rd cruise. I think the clutch is critical as you cannot hear the engine and the regen is strong so will not spin like DC
7) Once I am finally blue slipped I will post accn
8) My final weight is net 1500kg (airbags, crash safety, e-windows etc etc) ...a Karmann would be MUCH lighter
9) The AC system that the clever Mr Dylkes at EV Power is modifying/developing does look very promising as it is also light. I do not know if he is planning to market in the near future.....
10) If I can help further let me know.
antiscab

AC Lithium Merc

Post by antiscab »

Lester wrote:er
9) The AC system that the clever Mr Dylkes at EV Power is modifying/developing does look very promising as it is also light. I do not know if he is planning to market in the near future.....

ive seen that setup,

does indeed look promising,
can pull 350A from a 288v pack (~100kw)
just need to back the regen off so you don't go flying through the windscreen very time you touch the brakes.

Matt
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

ImageImage
Finished the auto clutch today....It was a bigger job than I thought but works very well. A touch senor on the top of trhe gear stick and a electric servo (from motorised bed!) ..........Now enables fast shifting 1-2-3 seamlessly without compromise to synchro. Will neaten wiring later....I am tired of remaking loom and then adding more!
PlanB

AC Lithium Merc

Post by PlanB »

PlanA was to buy a Chrysler circuit ev when they arrived at the local dodge dealer but I don't think that's gonna happen somehow.

I'm impressed with what you've done with the AzureDynamics gear in the Merc Lester. If it's not a rude question what's the cost, in time & money, for a project like that if you DIY?

Do you know of anyone in Sydney using the AC Propulsion motor/controller?

Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

Not a rude question..... Think of a number and double it.... No it is a costly project, particularly with lithium and AC but EV parts approx $25000-28000. Car was cheap with a great body (no dents, leather etc) but totally stuffed turbo motor)...Apparently a new motor was going to cost previous owner $27000 through mercedes so this is actually cheaper.!.... Hours?... Spare time over 9 months.While this is my first conversion I found it quite easy....There are so many helpful people out there to hold hands.
AC propulsion? now that would be nice ...I do see an issue though as T/S cells are only 3C and for high volts to get enough amps etc etc
PlanB

AC Lithium Merc

Post by PlanB »

I really like the fact that the AC propulsion controller is bi-directional but your reply confirms there is so much I don't know (what's T/S?).
So how do you get to hook up with all these knowledgeable hand holders? Do you guys have show-&-tell days where the timid amongst us get to see the hardware & ask questions?
Lester
Noobie

AC Lithium Merc

Post by Lester »

T/S? Sorry to be cryptic. Thundersky cells and others like it are only rated to 3C (in other words a 100A cell may discharge only 300A before damage) unlike say A123 which is able to sustain 10C. And a 10C pack would be VERY expensive. Watch for open days, meetings and post questions anytime
PlanB

AC Lithium Merc

Post by PlanB »

Wilco, keen to see your merc & maybe get some range figures sometime? In real estate it's location, location, location but for EVs it's batteries, batteries, batteries?