Sky Energy LiFePO4 Bulk Buy this Week

How do you store and manage your electricity?
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

the cell degredation data does seem to correlate with my experience.
my scooter cells are at 80% of original capacity at around 550 cycles (equivalent to 80% dod).

however i have over discharged a few (8) times and discharged at 1.4C continuous, 5-6C peak.

Matt
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Our 212 SE 40 Ah cells are due to be delivered this morning.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

And here are some of them:

Each box came with a hand filled in form with various numbers and the cell's internal resistance (as they measure it).

The largest box actually had only 2 cells in it, but also the threaded rods, end clamps, bolts, etc:
Image    Image

First order of the day was to charge one of the 2 "runts" (with significantly higher internal resistance than the others).
We have a very preliminary sag figure: 131 mV/C. This is about 3/4 of the sag of the Thunder Sky at room temperature, and compares with an average of 24 mV/C indicated on the packing lists (as measured with their crazy AC meter).
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Now if only you could just mount that shipping box as is ! Image
converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Post by Electrocycle »

yeah it's a pity they don't pack them with every second cell reversed so you can just link them up in series :)
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Not hard to turn half around. I did with mine and looked at them for a while ! Image
converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

These are the straps that come with the Sky Energy cells:

Image     Image
Note how the straps are laminated (for lower eddie currents Image ), are kinked (so the cells can expand a little without undue terminal stress) and are insulated in the middle. I'm quite impressed.

These Sky Energy cells are not quite as tall as Thunder Sky cells:

Image     Image
(Edit: note the different spacing of the horizontal ribs, yet the same spacing of the vertical ribs.)

Note the brass and aliminium (or steel?) posts on the Sky Energy cells, and the anodised aluminium lock nuts. Not really visible in this photo is that the top of the cells have slightly different details, such as thickness of plastic ribs. Under the Thunder Sky logo, the vent detail is extremely similar to that of the Sky Energy.
Last edited by coulomb on Thu, 16 Jul 2009, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I forgot to mention that these are a bit heavier than the Thunder Sky 40Ah cells. On my kitchen scales, the Thunder Sky weighed in at 1.4 kg, but the Sky Energy cell I measured at 1.55 kg. Both are nominally 1.5 kg, according to the information I can find.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I feel that my lithium cell information is getting splinched (parents of children of Harry Potter age would understand this term.) Maybe I'll post a summary and links post one day when all the data is ready.

Here is the first of hopefully several graphs of charge voltage for currents of 40 A (1C), 80 A (2C), ... 240 A (6C). This is for the Sky Energy SE40AHA cell marked "best" (it had equal best internal resistance, according to the manufacturer's information.) The time at the bottom is in tenths of a second. The data doesn't end at exactly the same time because the current was programmed off manually.

Rather pretty, if I do say so myself Image . Thanks once again to Tritium James for letting us use the fancy power supply, and driving the PC software that programmed the currents and logged the data.

See also Weber's calculation of lift per C (cf sag per C, but these are for charge, not discharge) in this Li cell discharge tests post.

Edit: realigned 3C data.
Note that the data don't start "in order" because we waited a variable amount of time between tests for the voltage to settle. I think it's largely luck that they are "in order" at the end of the graph.

Edit 2: The data are arranged so that the effect of the current is seen starting at sample 3 (3 on the x axis).

Edit 3: these results are quite temperature sensitive, and unfortunately temperature measurement wasn't done. All cells were at 17.3°C at the start. Ambient temperature was some 21°C. About 10-15 minutes after the test, this cell was at 20.2°C.

The stepped voltage at the start is probably due to some artifact of the way the power supply samples voltage. It seems to always get the same result two samples in a row. I'll attempt Weber's suggestion of taking out every second sample; presumably that would smooth the graph.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 19 Jul 2009, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

my good self: wrote: The stepped voltage at the start is probably due to some artifact of the way the power supply samples voltage. It seems to always get the same result two samples in a row. I'll attempt Weber's suggestion of taking out every second sample; presumably that would smooth the graph.

Well, it's not actually every second sample that is the same. Sometimes it's 3 in a row, sometimes 4. It possibly depends on how fast the data is changing.

This is what every second sample looks like for the 4C (worst looking, to me) voltage curve:

As you can see, it's still quite stepped. So I think I'll just report the data as sampled.
Tritium_James

Post by Tritium_James »

I'll have another look at our windows software, but I suspect the problem is that you can ask for the latest voltage and current values from the power supply faster than it's actually sampling them.

Apparently the actual V and I control in the guts of the supply is analog, so while the user interface might be digital the micro's not actually running the control loop itself. Sucks a bit, but the word on the street is the guy behind this family of designs is an analog guru, so that's what you get...
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Here is the original Thunder Sky cell (we only have the one) under the same conditions as the Sky Energy SE40AHA cell above. Initial temperature 17.3°C, ambient temperature ~21°C.

As you can see, the lift (antisag? rise?) is greater. In fact, the cell could not take 5C for more than a second without hitting the 4.25 V limit. ALthough we performed a "6C charge", because of the voltage limit, about the same current went in as with the 5C test apart from a few percent more in the first half second.

To be fair, the Sky Energy SE40AHA cell didn't quite take the full 6C charge for 5 seconds; the last 4 samples (0.4 sec) recorded 184 A (to keep within the 4.0 V limit we set for that cell). If anyone has any definitive voltage limits for the Sky Energy or China HiPower cells, I'd love to hear it.

The stepping at the start seems worse here for whatever reason. 10-15 minutes after the test, this cell was at 21.8°C.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Here is another cell to compare the Sky Energy cells with: High Rate China HiPower cells. This is the test cell that has about 32 Ah of capacity. Here, it is being treated as a 40 Ah cell; if you treat it as a 32 Ah cell, then the charge marked "6C" is really 7.5C. I've tried to scale the graph to be similar to the Sky Energy graph.

The lines are closer together because this high rate cell has a lower internal resistance, and hence lower sag under load, and lower rise under charge/regen. Note: not all China HiPower cells are high rate; these are quite new and few production versions have been made. These high rate cells cost about 7% more per Ah than the standard cells, and are less energy dense. They would appear to be a good compromise in EV applications, fitting between Thunder Sky and Sky Energy SE (lower cost, higher internal resistance), and A123 cells (I believe these have even lower internal resistance, and considerably higher cost).
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

For what it's worth, here is the fourth cell we tested. This is another Sky Energy SE40AHA, initially 17.3°C, ambient ~21°C. This cell had the second worst internal resistance (of the set of 212), according to the manufacturer.

We didn't seem to record the initial voltage for the 1C test. Also, we didn't seem to do a 6C test either, possibly thinking that the voltage at 5C was getting too high.

Edit: we didn't record this cell's temperature after the test.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 19 Jul 2009, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.