Coupler Fabricators in Brisbane

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
300zxev
Noobie

Post by 300zxev »

Hi All

Before I start flicking through the yellow pages looking for fabricators in Brisbane ...

Does anyone on here know of a fabricator in Brisbane (preferably south side) that would do a good job at making a motor/gearbox coupler and adapter plate ?

Thanks
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

For adapter and coupler machining, our engineering signatory, David Blyth, suggested:

Engine Engineering
45 Dunn Street
Rocklea QLD 4106
(07) 3277 8944

No website or email.

We haven't contacted them yet. Good luck. Let us know how you go.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
300zxev
Noobie

Post by 300zxev »

Hi

Thanks for that ... ... will start get some info together and go down and see them ... ...

Do you have details for a engineering signatory in Brisbane ... and should we be contacting them during construction or after we have something to show ?
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Guessing you are planning to convert a 300zx? Interested to hear about the project if you are...
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

300zxev wrote:Do you have details for a engineering signatory in Brisbane ... and should we be contacting them during construction or after we have something to show ?

Definitely need to talk to them before construction about what they require. No use welding up a bunch of battery boxes or racks and then being told they don't meet the 10 and 20 gee collision survival criteria or that you've cut something you shouldn't have on the chassis, or that your brakes are never going to stop you in the required distance because of all the extra weight.

Here's the approved engineers list that Queensland Transport sent me in mid February 2009. You could ask them for the latest list. The young engineer we chose (because he was recommended to us by Richard Larsen) is not on the above list but should be on the latest. He charges us $110 per hour. His details are:

David Blythe
DB Autotech
0407 756 870
<dsjblythe@hotmail.com>

And here's the Queensland Transport motor vehicle modification application form

And here's the NCOP for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification. Note the link to the draft that will probably come into force in July 2009.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
300zxev
Noobie

Post by 300zxev »

Thanks and Thanks

I'll probably start a build thread either here or diyelectriccar.com when the motor lands in 2 weeks

300zxev
Noobie

Post by 300zxev »

Hi All

Just a quick update ...
Went and spoke with Engine Engineering ... They are a pretty friendly group out there but they told me dealing with splined shafts was beyond them. They put me on to Winch Engineering not far from them.

Went and saw Winch Engineering and they said it wouldn't be a problem ... you can tell by all the completed jobs sitting there and the equipment in their workshop that these are the right guys to go and see. guestimation $600 for the coupler ... +extra for the adapter plate. I was happy with this price but wasn't too keen on lugging my trailer out that far (i'm from bayside brisbane)

Just for interests sake I went and saw an engineering place closer to home (at Capalaba) ... and came accross a couple of brothers that run Extensive Engineering ... They quoted me about $1500 coupler and adapter plate ... so I went back home, picked up the motor and transmission and gave it to them.

For anyone else's future reference ... If you take a picture of the motor around these engineering places and tell them it's to be attached to an car's transmission, they all seem pretty interested in what you are doing and eager to help.
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

I grew up with a heap of tradies and one of them ran a fabrication business on the south side of Brisbane, but I haven’t spoken to him for a very long time, so I flicked him an email yesterday to see if he was interested in some EV business.

The reason he came to mind was that he made a custom set of axles for another mate of mine who had a 6 litre Hino truck engine in a SWB 70 series Land Cruiser and it kept snapping the factory axles like tooth picks.

His primary business used to be repairing alloy wheels from when people had put them into gutters, apparently he no longer does alloy wheels, but he still does various fabrication jobs. He did a number of jobs for me over the years and provided nothing has changed I would really recommend him highly.

His contact details are:

Bruce Marshall

Race Engineering
3/115 Dollis Street
Rocklea Qld 4106
Hours are varied so please
phone for an appointment
Ph 0458 766 275
www.raceengineering.com.au
paulsEV
Noobie
MSN: speed_racer_aka_paul@hotmail.com

Post by paulsEV »

Race engineering are very good fabricators and I have used them once to make modifications to axle components from parts i brought in for an old range rover i had and told him what i wanted and they where perfectly made! a little expensive, but you get what you pay for in this world. I would probably see him first about price !
300zxev
Noobie

Post by 300zxev »

Just an update ... It took about 2 months but I did finally receive my motor / gearbox back from the engineers.

Had the splined coupler fabricated
Had the aluminium adapter plate fabricated
Had the end housing advanced 13 deg (for the high voltage)
Had the gearbox pilot shaft trimmed
Had an extra bearing sourced for electric motor
Had the rotor polished (as it had paint sprayed on it)

In all it came to $1320 ... which was under their quote of $1500 for the adapter plate and copler on their own.

If you want to check any details ... I have a blog here
www.300zxev.blogspot.com
woody

Post by woody »

Hi John,

nice conversion blog, sounds like you are getting closer?

Now that Zilla is available again are you going that way?

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
dazza111
Noobie

Post by dazza111 »

Hi I was wondering where you got your adapter plate manufactured?
cheers Dazza111