BYD plans

BYD EV Interest Group
coulomb
Site Admin

BYD plans

Post by coulomb »

I've started this forum because BYD seem to have plans for Australia. I'm not sure what to believe about some of the claims made by the importer, Nexport, e.g. a 500 km range car for under AU$35 000 by early 2022.

A 2017 article about the first Chinese EV in Australia, a BYD E6: https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au ... the-noise/

BYD electric vehicles to be sold in Australia from 2022: https://www.caradvice.com.au/923350/exc ... from-2022/

NSW is getting an electric car manufacturing facility worth $700M: https://www.caradvice.com.au/893706/nsw ... 0-million/
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Wil
Noobie

Re: BYD plans

Post by Wil »

They are going to be at the Smart Energy Expo in Sydney 12th and 13th May. They will have the BYD HAN on display.
Wil
Noobie

Post by Wil »

Here is a bit of google translated manual for the 2021 e2- seems to have 3.3kW vehicle to load

VTOL discharge method outside the car 1. Equipment description:
█ Vehicle-to-load discharge connection device (VTOL): This device consists of a discharge gun, power strips, cables and a discharge gun protective cover.
█ Equipment specifications: Rated 220V 50Hz 16A discharge outside the vehicle is realized through VTOL connection, and the maximum discharge power is 3.3kW.
2. Discharge operation guide
█ Before discharging, the power gear is in the "OFF" gear.
█ Unlock the switch of the charging port cover, open the charging port cover and the charging port protection cover.
Q See unlocking the charging port cover for household portable AC charging, and open the charging port cover and charging port protection cover.
BYDEL04013
Use and drive

106 4-1 Description of charge and discharge

█ Check before discharge:
Q to ensure that the total power of the discharged vehicle is not less than 15%;
Q Make sure that the VTOL connection device has no abnormalities such as shell cracks, cable wear, rusty plugs, or foreign objects;
Q Make sure that there is no water or foreign objects in the charging port, and the metal terminals are not damaged or affected by rust or corrosion;
Q If the above situation occurs, charging is prohibited, otherwise it may cause a short circuit or electric shock, which may cause personal injury. █ Instrument settings:
QPress the discharge switch on the light switch group (when equipped), and select the VTOL discharge mode on the meter.
█ Connect the discharge connection device:
Q Connect the discharge gun of the VTOL discharge connection device to the charging port and lock it securely.
BYDEL04014
BYDEL04015
Tips

Do not forcibly insert the discharge gun when the electric lock is locked.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I see they will be releaseing a couple of vans here shortly, and they are priced quite sharply too. $35k or something. Any tradie worth their tax concessions would be mad not to get one.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

BYD click n collect will be another headache for the old world out here:
https://thedriven.io/2021/07/20/byd-ele ... to-follow/
jamie85063
Groupie

Post by jamie85063 »

Not just the old world, I put in a request for information etc with evdirect in regards to the T3 van and it was some 3+ weeks before I even had a response from them. Been a bit of back and forwards with phones calls and emails in the last few days just trying to get information from them that I need to know. Giving serious consideration to purchasing a T3 van. These from what I can tell are a BYD version of the Nissan env200.

If anyone has any thoughts about these vans please respond.

Cheers.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

For other readers' context:

From BYD T3 electric van in Australia this year from $35,000 (Car Expert).

They're looking pretty good, as long as service, parts, etc can be sorted to the satisfaction of Australian businesses.
jamie85063
Groupie

Post by jamie85063 »

I just got a reservation on T3 van this morning. Expected delivery sometime in October, I hope these vans prove to be a good thing they have an 8 year/500,000 KLM warranty on the battery and 6 years/150.000klm on the rest of the van.

Jamie
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

This image, with the opera house in the background, NSW plates, and even the EV triangle, makes it look like they must be close:

From Australia’s cheapest electric vehicle: China’s BYD promises sub-$35,000 van, here this year. [ Edit: Actually, that was from May this year. ]

But performance may be disappointing:
  • "However, the T3 powertrain struggles when compared the competition – drive comes from an AC permanent magnet synchronous motor, sending a tame 70kW/180Nm to the front wheels via a single-speed transmission.

An official spec sheet notes the vehicle is capable of accelerating from 0-50km/h in a claimed 6.5 seconds, on the way to an electronically-limited top speed of just 100km/h."

I see that Amarex have been using them in the US:

From Aramex agrees electric van partnership with China’s BYD (November 2018).
jamie85063
Groupie

Post by jamie85063 »

As previously mentioned I have a reservation for A T3 van that was ment for an October 2021 delivery. I sent an email to EVdirect yesterday as not heard anything from them for some 5 weeks. I asked on an update for delivery being a time of late October still happening. Received this reply, Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, the arrival of these vehicles has been delayed until December.

Thank you for your patience.

That's all they mentioned to me, no explanation. When I last asked this question some 5 weeks ago they said, At this stage we are expecting a late October delivery in Australia, if anything changes, we will let you know.

Well so much for letting me know, such poor communication with people that have put some trust in them via making a reservation on a T3 van that have not seen one or test driven etc. This is not a good way to build relations and instill confidence with them that's for sure.

Being they say arrival in December has me thinking that's when they are just expecting them to turn up in Australia let alone actually deliver them to customers. I am not expecting these will be delivered until sometime in 2022 now.
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

Hi all, I've just joined the forums this past weekend. Please be gentle :)

I put the following up on my blog last Friday. https://bydt3campervan.wordpress.com/

Pierre called (thanks Florian 🙂 a few minutes ago (thanks Pierre 🙂

Production has been held up, and apparently public holidays can cause delays in China, which is fine, I like to think the people building my van have reasonable working conditions (don’t profit from the suffering of others, all those iphone factory videos, Byd’s Chairman and President Wang Chuanfu’s philosophy when presenting the Blade battery launch last year (link to where he walks onstage [ https://youtu.be/Hjo4raSELtw?t=315 ]) – many images of Chinese industry).

No new specs or other paperwork available to me. 😦

> On 2021-10-01 09:43 [WST] , Sales | EVDirect wrote:
> Hi Steve
> Thank for your time earlier.
> As discussed, we appreciate your patience and expect clearer arrival dates and contracts mid to late this month.
> Thanks
> [EVDirect logo]

So it’s not simple to set up a new car sales/import business (but the 15 x M6 vehicles are on their way, at least – 20 days on a ship (factor that into your embedded carbon calcs)). Contracts for the T3s are nearly ready and the range issue on the website (WLTP vs NEDC) should have been fixed already but soon will be.

Pierre liked my idea of driving the van from Sydney to Perth – maybe they’ll let me do that. Better get my walkie talkies (Ch40), water jerry cans and maybe a 2400W generator for just in case. But then towing can be a way to charge an EV too. Check out this Tesla tow [ https://insideevs.com/news/535988/stran ... to-charge/ ].

There’s a new van to replace the Nissan e-NV200 and Renault Kangoo [ https://insideevs.com/news/536392/nissa ... ectric-van ], and looks like it might also be the basis for the Mercedes eCitan. All about the same size as the T3 but higher spec and, one assumes, much higher price. Wait and see if they get to Australia, with our current sucky environment for all things EV. Maybe Murdoch’s backflip on climate (my perception) will make all the difference.

So that’s it I think.
More info as it comes to hand.
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

The battery warranty is to 60% according to Pierre a while ago.
I guess we'll know more when the contracts arrive.
Pierre also said I can have a copy of the user manual after paying deposit.
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

T3 Range boost.

A few weeks ago I picked up that the EVDirect front page had changed the range test standard from NEDC to WLTP but the range distance stayed at 300km.
I queried this because the "Specs" page still showed NEDC. Pierre and Mark Leith the marketing guy at Nexport (ex-Murdoch, btw) both acknowledged the discrepancy.

Last Friday I told Pierre it was still broken. He checked and confirmed, saying he would follow up as it should have been done by now.
Today I checked, and SHOCK HORROR both pages now claim 300km WLTP range for the T3. That's about a 20% boost as far as I can tell from all the stuff I've read comparing the standards!!

Assuming it's now correct (and just a lag updating from the old NCM battery) I'll have a quicker trip across the Null Arbor. (Going back into Plugshare route planner with 250km as max range instead of 220 - YAY!)

First thing I'll do is a range test down Princes Hwy if they let me pick up in Syd :)
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

G'day, Steve.

We're all very interested to see how you go with the T3 van and crossing the Nullarbor. With a 100km/h top speed it is clearly intended for city work so you might have to plan on a lower speed. The last formula i found for converting between NEDC/WLTP and the American EPA is as follows:
NEDC to EPA: divide NEDC value by 1.43 with an error of 11%
WLTP to EPA: divide WLTP value by 1.12 with an error of 8%
While EPA is considered the most accurate, all of these ratings try to combine city with highway use. And your trip is almost exclusively highway, so doing your own test is a good idea. You should test in both cold and hot weather if possible, as cold will likely reduce range. You might decide that a lazy start each morning is best. Also check on how full or empty the battery should be allowed to reach. Some are ok with 100%, others don't like that too often. At DC chargers it may take a long time to top off that last few percent (not something you have to worry about along the Nullarbor). You will find it difficult to plan on running it down to less than 10% especially at first. The lowest i have managed is about 13%. Don't be surprised if an early morning charge yealds as little as 150km to 10%.

We all want BYD/Nexport to do well here. I worry that the local importer is spreading themselves a bit thin. Learning about customer relations is an issue for online companies. Tesla still struggles.
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

Thanks Philip,
Thanks for those range conversions. I get that EPA is the only one you might have a chance of exceeding if you try hard :)

Re range testing, it's a good thing I'm starting in NSW.
On the Port Augusta to Perth leg the longest distances I've got in Plugshare are 185 and 184km, so hopefully the range really _is_ to WLTP spec.
Given that at some places I'll be charging at about 10km/hr in caravan parks I can see the value of travelling slower, arriving 30min later and charging several hours less.
I think the Blade packaged LFP battery might behave differently than the NMC ones. I haven't seen anything about differences between the Chinese Tesla 3s with their LFP cells vs the NMC ones out of USA.

I have so much to learn and my head is already swollen with knowledge I've already picked up.

The trip's conditional though. Nexport need to be OK with me picking the van up in Sydney with WA rego, we need to be quarrantine-free for vaccinated people (second Pfizer coming in a month), Bali needs still to be closed to Aussies (I've promised my wife we can go see her family and the new temple as soon as we can) and pick-up has to be before Dec 10th or in Jan 2022. It'll take 8 days just driving and charging - assuming enough sleep while charging (I've negotiated 14 days with my wife) :) . And doesn't include a side trip to parlt hse Canberra, or time taken to pick up essentials like mattress, water containers, esky, hand trowel etc.

And maybe a petrol or butane/propane generator as insurance against broken chargers (but then there's a lot more powered caravan sites in WikiCamps than I've seen in Plugshare - Yalata will be very handy for example.

RE BYD (back on-topic :) I've done Customer Service, Helpdesk and Analyst jobs, including on web-based applications, so I believe I have a good understanding of what good Customer Service is. I put their issues (EVDirect/Nexport) down to trying to do too much too quickly - they have a lot of things going on at Nexport and are probably grateful for supplier delays if only for the extra time it gives them. From talking with Pierre about progress and watching on linkedin they look like a good bunch of people trying to save the world while building the business, so I wish them all the best too. If driving the cheapest EV and cheapest commercial EV from one side of the country to the other helps boost their image then that's a bonus - I already said I'd be happy for the van to be branded with EVDirect, Nexport, True Green Mobility and BYD (I don't think I mentioned the Extinction Rebellion and 350.org stickers :)

Sorry long post. Sometimes I do that.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

Steve,

I didn't know that the Blade battery is LFP. In that case there is little concern for charging it regularly to 100%.
In the Tesla pages, have a look at the Balancing the battery thread. It is largely about the difference in the new Standard Range Tesla battery.
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

Hi Phil and thanks, I'll look for that info now.

Well, after I post this link to a paraphrasing of the blade launch. (Now I know there are two types of blade battery, but this one's BYD :)

https://insideevs.com/news/406839/byd-b ... ttery/amp/
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

T3 update.
Troy Todd (brother of Truegreen CEO Luke) called me, apologised for the delay and advised the T3s are expected to dock here (Oz ports) in mid-Jan.
Nexport manager Michel Van Maanen told me Luke is personally overseeing EVDirect now.
Troy is in Queensland and said Luke was in Chinese quarantine last week.

I asked if any specs had changed and whether they would let me pick up in Sydney to drive it to Perth.

Watch this space but don't hold your breath :)
jamie85063
Groupie

Post by jamie85063 »

I stopped holding my breath after the October delivery schedule was missed.
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

Latest on the T3, as advised by Troy:
- due in port 28 Jan 2022
- Comes with alloy wheels and a spare wheel/tyre and jack
- comes with a power board that plugs into the charging port. Vehicle 2 Load?
- DOES NOT come with a granny charger "no charging infrastructure" (I find that hard to believe, so I'm waiting another week or so to be sure there's not one in the van)

Also it is likely that there will be no more T3s imported. Perhaps the rules change when the vehicle is no longer a "limited release". Nexport/EVDirect promise to release more details next month.

I've signed the contract and will be flying over to pick up my minivan from EVDirect at the CEVA Logistics yard in Minto, near Campbelltown after stopping off at Revesby Station to visit the Transport office to register myself and obtain the transit permit with CTP insurance for unregistered vehicle. This will potentially be on Monday 7th Feb. Then I'll buy the basics to make a minimalist camper and drive back to Perth, ideally, if permitted, via the CBD, Bexley, Nasho, Kiama, Canberra and Adelaide (where I'll buy a 32A switchable EVSE with adapters for 10A and 15A outlets, from Phil at https://gelcoservices.com.au ). Should be plenty of time to put things together during the first few charging sessions.

If any ACT member would like to take a photo of the van as it passes Parliament House (I understand you can't stop there) I would be very grateful. It'll be one of many photos of the little EV not ruining the weekend at various iconic locations en-route.

If there actually is no granny charger on board, I think I'll visit https://EVSE.com.au in nearby Rydalmere and pick up a switchable 15A EVSE for any cases where the DC chargers are out (like Balranald was yesterday, according to Plugshare). They told me about this brilliant little AMPfibian adapter with male 10A plug, RCD breaker and 15A female socket - https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/amp ... with-rcd-o

Hopefully this is of interest. If any of this should be in a separate forum subject please let me know and I'll copy there :)
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

sT3ve2 wrote: Thu, 20 Jan 2022, 09:52 Latest on the T3, as advised by Troy:
- due in port 28 Jan 2022
- Comes with alloy wheels and a spare wheel/tyre and jack
- comes with a power board that plugs into the charging port. Vehicle 2 Load?
- DOES NOT come with a granny charger "no charging infrastructure" (I find that hard to believe, so I'm waiting another week or so to be sure there's not one in the van)

Also it is likely that there will be no more T3s imported. Perhaps the rules change when the vehicle is no longer a "limited release". Nexport/EVDirect promise to release more details next month.

I've signed the contract and will be flying over to pick up my minivan from EVDirect at the CEVA Logistics yard in Minto, near Campbelltown after stopping off at Revesby Station to visit the Transport office to register myself and obtain the transit permit with CTP insurance for unregistered vehicle. This will potentially be on Monday 7th Feb. Then I'll buy the basics to make a minimalist camper and drive back to Perth, ideally, if permitted, via the CBD, Bexley, Nasho, Kiama, Canberra and Adelaide (where I'll buy a 32A switchable EVSE with adapters for 10A and 15A outlets, from Phil at https://gelcoservices.com.au ). Should be plenty of time to put things together during the first few charging sessions.

If any ACT member would like to take a photo of the van as it passes Parliament House (I understand you can't stop there) I would be very grateful. It'll be one of many photos of the little EV not ruining the weekend at various iconic locations en-route.

If there actually is no granny charger on board, I think I'll visit https://EVSE.com.au in nearby Rydalmere and pick up a switchable 15A EVSE for any cases where the DC chargers are out (like Balranald was yesterday, according to Plugshare). They told me about this brilliant little AMPfibian adapter with male 10A plug, RCD breaker and 15A female socket - https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/amp ... with-rcd-o

Hopefully this is of interest. If any of this should be in a separate forum subject please let me know and I'll copy there :)
No idea why you would want to drive through the Royal National Park, it is a very long drive. If you just want to get a photo at Bald Hill with the road over the ocean at Coal Cliff and the van in the foreground, better to travel through Heathcote, Waterfall and down the freeway to the Helensburgh turn off and down to Baldhill, then you can travel along the ocean bridge road in to Wollongong.

As far as Kiama to Canberra, better to go via Nowra to Nerriga and have a drink at the fabulous old Nerriga pub, then either turn right and head for Goulburn or many of the other back roads to get you to the Princes Hwy and on to Canberra that way.
On you way through to Adelaide, you are welcome to drop in at our workshop in Mannum SA (near Murray Bridge and on the road from the Sturt Hwy through Sedan to the Princes Hwy freeway into Adelaide .... and get a recharge while you are here if you need it .....

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

Terry, thanks!

Sadly, captain corona has extended the border restrictions and it looks like the adventure is cancelled until CoViD19 is sorted.

I love driving through Nasho and MacQuarrie Pass, Bexley is just where I spent my first 18 years, and Kiama Downs is where my parents settled in retirement.

Looks like I'll have to drive from Perth to the border, take a sad selfie, then come back.

Leave the North East West South (NEWS) adventure for later. :)