Polestar separate, under Volvo, or not at all?

Volvo EVs Interest Group
coulomb
Site Admin

Polestar separate, under Volvo, or not at all?

Post by coulomb »

I'm confused about the Polestar "brand". My impression listening to EV News Daily is that it's a separate marque now, but some articles make me think that maybe it's a sort of "tag", like "sports" or a Mazda model number starting with M instead of C. Let me know what the consensus is, and I'll change the forums as appropriate.

Maybe they are separate brands/marques now, but some models are still Volvos, merely "engineered by Polestar", while others will be branded Polestars.

Maybe it's like Toyota and Lexus; most people realise that Lexus is made by Toyota, but it represents an extra step up in luxury and performance, and so warrants the separate branding. I have Toyota and Lexus in separate forums.

[ Edit: Oops. My example turned out to be a petrol model. Removed that example. ]
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Chuq
Groupie

Re: Polestar separate, under Volvo, or not at all?

Post by Chuq »

Do we need separate forums for every model, some of which will only have half a dozen posts a month?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Chuq wrote: Fri, 07 May 2021, 14:38 Do we need separate forums for every model, some of which will only have half a dozen posts a month?
I think we need one per "brand" or "marque". Perhaps the differentiator can be a logo: different logo, different forum. I think forums can have an image associated with them, so each can have their own logo.

We could have a different sub-forum for each model, but I think that might be going too far. Then again, if you have say a VW ID-4, then do you really care about discussions about tyres / floor mats / windscreens etc that are particular to the e-Golf or the ID-5 or the ID-Buzz? Then again, someone who likes VWs and hasn't decided which one to choose might have to wade through a heap of sub-forums. Maybe we should have sub-forums, but make it clear that they are only to be used for posts that pertain to that model only.

Hopefully, this will become clearer with time.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Fraz
Noobie

Post by Fraz »

I own a Polestar, but I clearly see the Volvo heritage and parts. Most of the small plastic parts where you can see the molding have Volvo on them. Even the steering wheel is from a Volvo.

The Polestar 2 was originally a Volvo concept car. Someone on the FB group dug out the press release.

I suspect Polestar will be more sport/design oriented, Volvo more practical and traditional. But they are intersecting Venn diagrams. Though I say this as someone who has never owned a Volvo.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - Polestar is now a separate brand from Volvo, although it is the former performance brand part of Volvo. In fact Volvo is itself a part of the Geely group who own both (and others).. Think of Polestar now as like Audi: different to VW but still part of the VW group. (Or for that matter like Dacia - who are a separate brand to Renault, but part of the Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi alliance).

Hope that helps?

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Digger11
Groupie

Post by Digger11 »

Aren’t they Chinese ? Like MG.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Geely (who own both Volvo and Polestar) are Chinese. Many of the Volvo EVs are made in China too.
(FYI: Geely produce cars in their own right as Geely Auto, as well as owning Volvo, Polestar, Proton, Lotus, London EV company and some other lesser known marques too).
Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

So Volvo is now actually Chinese and Chinese produced? Even the very British Lotus being Chinese owned is a real slap in the face for the British isn't it?

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Fraz
Noobie

Post by Fraz »

They are still run out of Sweden, and still have the same design ethos. They aren't quite in the same grouping as fully Chinese car manufacturers like BYD (though they are technically very good in the battery arena) or great wall etc.