Polestar separate, under Volvo, or not at all?

Volvo EVs Interest Group
coulomb
Site Admin

Polestar separate, under Volvo, or not at all?

Post by coulomb »

I'm confused about the Polestar "brand". My impression listening to EV News Daily is that it's a separate marque now, but some articles make me think that maybe it's a sort of "tag", like "sports" or a Mazda model number starting with M instead of C. Let me know what the consensus is, and I'll change the forums as appropriate.

Maybe they are separate brands/marques now, but some models are still Volvos, merely "engineered by Polestar", while others will be branded Polestars.

Maybe it's like Toyota and Lexus; most people realise that Lexus is made by Toyota, but it represents an extra step up in luxury and performance, and so warrants the separate branding. I have Toyota and Lexus in separate forums.

[ Edit: Oops. My example turned out to be a petrol model. Removed that example. ]
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
Chuq
Groupie

Re: Polestar separate, under Volvo, or not at all?

Post by Chuq »

Do we need separate forums for every model, some of which will only have half a dozen posts a month?
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Polestar separate, under Volvo, or not at all?

Post by coulomb »

Chuq wrote: Fri, 07 May 2021, 14:38 Do we need separate forums for every model, some of which will only have half a dozen posts a month?
I think we need one per "brand" or "marque". Perhaps the differentiator can be a logo: different logo, different forum. I think forums can have an image associated with them, so each can have their own logo.

We could have a different sub-forum for each model, but I think that might be going too far. Then again, if you have say a VW ID-4, then do you really care about discussions about tyres / floor mats / windscreens etc that are particular to the e-Golf or the ID-5 or the ID-Buzz? Then again, someone who likes VWs and hasn't decided which one to choose might have to wade through a heap of sub-forums. Maybe we should have sub-forums, but make it clear that they are only to be used for posts that pertain to that model only.

Hopefully, this will become clearer with time.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.