Porsche Tincan in Brisbane

Porsche EV interest group
galderdi
Groupie

Porsche Tincan in Brisbane

Post by galderdi »

It has been a while since I posted on AEVA. I haven't been all that active on the EV front. However I have been forming my plans.

I am building a Porsche (Tincan) 550 Spyder EV from scratch. It will be 550Kg and will be road registered. I already have the chassis and almost all the mechanicals. I have been gathering all the required tools although I still need a TIG welder. Since acquiring the chassis 2 months ago I have almost completed construction of the buck (form to provide the panel shape).
The body will be hand made from sheets of aluminium. Here is a small selection of my photos so far.
20210116_085739a.jpg
20210116_085739a.jpg (505.06 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
20210307_162138_resized.jpg
20210307_162138_resized.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1601 times
20210426_135943_resized.jpg
20210426_135943_resized.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1601 times
20210426_135923_resized.jpg
20210426_135923_resized.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1601 times
20210501_160911_resized.jpg
20210501_160911_resized.jpg (326.43 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
20210501_160848_resized.jpg
20210501_160848_resized.jpg (259.23 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
Barrabuoy
Noobie

Re: Porsche Tincan in Brisbane

Post by Barrabuoy »

Looking good have you picked up the body building skills in the aviation or racing industry? certainly keen to emulate the running gear ideas as I am ok with my Boxster shape and weight ( I am a larger build than yourself :lol: )
Would love to discuss your build.

Cheers Barra
galderdi
Groupie

Post by galderdi »

Barrabuoy wrote: Fri, 06 Aug 2021, 13:48 Looking good have you picked up the body building skills in the aviation or racing industry? certainly keen to emulate the running gear ideas as I am ok with my Boxster shape and weight ( I am a larger build than yourself :lol: )
Would love to discuss your build.

Cheers Barra
Thanks mate,

Are you sure you are larger. I am 120kg although some of that is due to my height at 6foot 4inches.
No my skill are not from work. I did love metal work at high school. I did an apprenticeship as a technician and I did an electrical connect/disconnect licence. But all these mostly gave indirect skills. I did do a metal shaping course last year and a Tig welding course this year.
Always happy to discuss my projects. Are you in Brisbane?
The project is progressing well. Possibly better than I'd expected. I am currently sitting at 58% completion of my task list. I am taking the car for the first of many inspections by the engineer.
Here are a few more recent photos:
20211006_203551_resized.jpg
20211006_203551_resized.jpg (344.06 KiB) Viewed 328 times
20211002_175709_resized.jpg
20211002_175709_resized.jpg (299.99 KiB) Viewed 328 times
20211002_175749_resized.jpg
20211002_175749_resized.jpg (280.1 KiB) Viewed 328 times
20211002_175723_resized.jpg
20211002_175723_resized.jpg (227.09 KiB) Viewed 328 times
20210929_192803_resized.jpg
20210929_192803_resized.jpg (304.75 KiB) Viewed 328 times
20210912_163748_resized.jpg
20210912_163748_resized.jpg (338.51 KiB) Viewed 328 times
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Wow, that is progressing well. Congratulations on te project so far.
What did you use to form the rounded parts? Will the body lift off to access the batteries etc? I'm panicked enough just planning the body mods on the Kombi to go EV, completely constructing a vehicle from the ground up ... way out of my skill level.
Looking forward to see this project through it future development stages

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
galderdi
Groupie

Post by galderdi »

T1 Terry wrote: Fri, 08 Oct 2021, 12:12 Wow, that is progressing well. Congratulations on te project so far.
What did you use to form the rounded parts? Will the body lift off to access the batteries etc? I'm panicked enough just planning the body mods on the Kombi to go EV, completely constructing a vehicle from the ground up ... way out of my skill level.
Looking forward to see this project through it future development stages

T1 Terry
Thanks Terry,

The curved parts use a combination of a kick shrinker, english wheel and bead roller.

There won't be access from under the car once it is together. The rear Clam shell (rear third of the car) will entirely hinge back to reveal the motor, gearbox, controller and batteries. But it is a small car regardless how you look at it so working in there is always going to be cramped. Even when the body hinges back there will still be steel framework around the perimeter of the engine bay.
galderdi
Groupie

Post by galderdi »

oh and annealing, sandbag, hammers and dollies are also necessary
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Hmmm...... when I kick the body work it doesn't tend to shrink, sort of stretches really :lol: My experience with hammer and dollies doing the automotive body work metal forming as a night class at TAFE resulted in the VW hubcap we were supposed to make looking more like half a golf ball :oops: I could do all the folding and metal stretching with the little hammer to form a curve, the shrinking didn't seem to be part of my skill set though .... except for when I tried to weld in a panel repair piece, that produced some very dramatic panel shrinking effects :roll:
Have done plenty of annealing copper head gaskets back when I built high performance turbo engines for street cars .... and a bit of sandbagging at the street drag meets :lol:
I've seen the TV shows where they use an English Wheel, but never tried it myself, had to google what a bead roller was and that looked like a machine I could easily wreck perfectly good sheets of metal with :lol: It might be an interesting bit of gear to make the brackets and panels I'll need to build the frame to put the battery cells under the kombi floor though, so certainly worth investigating.
I remember my old TAFE teacher just shaking his head and commenting I should stick to being a mechanic so I can earn enough to pay a skilled person to do any body work I required .... it would be cheaper than trying to get them to rectify my attempts at panel repairs ... how cruel .... true, but still cruel :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
galderdi
Groupie

Post by galderdi »

T1 Terry wrote: Fri, 08 Oct 2021, 14:24 Hmmm...... when I kick the body work it doesn't tend to shrink, sort of stretches really :lol: My experience with hammer and dollies doing the automotive body work metal forming as a night class at TAFE resulted in the VW hubcap we were supposed to make looking more like half a golf ball :oops: I could do all the folding and metal stretching with the little hammer to form a curve, the shrinking didn't seem to be part of my skill set though .... except for when I tried to weld in a panel repair piece, that produced some very dramatic panel shrinking effects :roll:
Have done plenty of annealing copper head gaskets back when I built high performance turbo engines for street cars .... and a bit of sandbagging at the street drag meets :lol:
I've seen the TV shows where they use an English Wheel, but never tried it myself, had to google what a bead roller was and that looked like a machine I could easily wreck perfectly good sheets of metal with :lol: It might be an interesting bit of gear to make the brackets and panels I'll need to build the frame to put the battery cells under the kombi floor though, so certainly worth investigating.
I remember my old TAFE teacher just shaking his head and commenting I should stick to being a mechanic so I can earn enough to pay a skilled person to do any body work I required .... it would be cheaper than trying to get them to rectify my attempts at panel repairs ... how cruel .... true, but still cruel :lol:

T1 Terry
I see you are in SA. There is a gentleman in Melbourne named Peter Thomasini (I hope I have spelled correctly). It is a legend in terms of metal shaping. He learned his trade in Italy working on Ferrari and Maserati. He shows how to make a complete side of a Monaro in one piece of metal. look him up on Youtube and he also sells complete DVD sets.
The bead roller is a super useful tool and not that difficult to use. The hardest part is keeping it on the desired line. Mine is manual but you can get motorised one. But I wouldn't bother for a backyard purpose. I replaced my handle with a wheel. The handle forces you to reach to the extreme other side of the machine and there is no way to turn the handle there and watch the line at the same time. Also when the handle was in the up position it had enough weight/gravity to pull the job through by itself again running off the line. So the wheel modification addresses both those issues. The kick shrinker may also be known as a shrinker / stretcher. Because it has two sets of dyes that can be swapped depending on what you are trying to do. But I have tried the stretch dyes and on 1 or 1.2mm aluminium it just rips the material. It is very effective at shrinking though. You can see the tool makes along the edges of that inner guard. The curve from front to back was entirely the result of the shrinker. The shrinker is essential for making the flanges on the ends of the doors etc too
20210918_162519_resized.jpg
20210918_162519_resized.jpg (240.15 KiB) Viewed 308 times
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Thanks Greg. When I did the Google search for the Bead roller there was a shrinker/stretcher also listed on a site called Joel's Garage. I'll have a watch of the You Tube videos and might put in a suggestion/hint about the DVD set for Christmas .... but then again, we buy our own Christmas presents now so ..... :roll:

Waiting to find out if my Prius gets written off and the price to buy it back, or if they turn the claims down and I have to do the fix out of my own pocket ..... odds on, if they accept the claim it will be written off, then that project will take the front place in the project list.

The kombi made nasty bearing noises when I started it up after sitting for a mth or so, until the oil pressure came up, then it quietened down, but I don't trust it for the longer trips any more. No value in rebuilding the motor if I plan to convert it to electric ....

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn