MGZSEV ACC v Regen Braking

MG EV Interest Group
Nagaman

MGZSEV ACC v Regen Braking

Post by Nagaman »

I noticed recently on a trip to Shepparton and following a vehicle in front at ~ 80 kph ……but with 85 selected on ‘cruise’; a strange phenomenon - lights further up had changed to red, so I attempted to activate regen braking early (knocking the wand down) and drop back……somethings wrong ! It’s not braking……I can only assume I was still ‘captured’ by the vehicle in front and ACC was still in charge.
I had to resort to friction braking (probably activating the brake light circuit is enough) to ‘escape’ the attraction.
Very odd and very strange feeling of losing it.
crustyman
Noobie

Re: MGZSEV ACC v Regen Braking

Post by crustyman »

Unfortunately when using ACC the ZS EV uses friction brakes instead of regen, very frustrating as technically it's less efficient on a road trip if using ACC than manually driving. You'd think they could fix it with a software update but apparently has been this way for a long time and no sign of being fixed :(
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Wow! Our 6+YO Outlander PHEV uses regenerative braking during ACC, a major benefit of a feature I still get a real buzz out of after all these years.

A cynic might suggest there's a vested interest for the manufacturer in having ACC use friction brakes as that means service centres will have extra business from more frequent brake servicing :roll: . Our Outlander's brakes were described as "good as new" at its most recent service a week ago. The brakes haven't needed servicing so far in the life of the vehicle.

Hopefully this issue can be fixed with a software update.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

I've had the same thing @Nagaman and immediately disabled ACC by pushing the wand forward. And haven't used it since :) Now that I know it doesn't use regen I have another reason to skip it. Regen is like 50% of the joy of an electric car for me! "I used all this power getting up the hill but look here I am getting a third of it back on the other side wheeee!"

5 months since I picked up my ZS EV now and the friction brakes still squeak :D (when I use them which is pretty much only when getting out of the garage, and the last few seconds coming to a complete stop)
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I drive with ACC lever on and off as required in order to get around this strange anomaly ……flattish country is no chore.
Everyone is hoping it’s possible to fix it with an update but why the holdup if it is possible.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

Just programmer time I guess. Any software I've worked on there are so many bugs that just don't get management attention, especially when there are new models to work on. It would be awesome if it was open source then I could implement this feature myself! I wonder how hard it is to get a contract gig at SAIC? Probably don't have good enough Chinese for it though :D How hard would it be to just bypass the whole built-in ECU and put in your own?? 🤔 Maybe when my car is a bit older...