Getting away slowly

MG EV Interest Group
Nagaman

Getting away slowly

Post by Nagaman »

Has anyone else bee confused and frustrated with the whole process of simply driving off.
I made the mistake of selecting P when sitting at a set of lights.....thinking that you can just (logically?) select D when the lights turn green and drive on.
Oh no you don’t !
Far too dangerous apparently......and now extremely embarrassing also.
You have to go through the laborious process of switching off and the slow brake pedal sinking/curtain falling/green Ready business.
Then there is another issue I haven’t worked out where it appears ready (and D is displayed) but nothing happens and once again the whole restart process has to be repeated.
I’m wondering if the brake pedal NOT sinking is the problem.
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Getting away slowly

Post by coulomb »

Nagaman wrote: Sat, 24 Apr 2021, 09:24 Has anyone else bee confused and frustrated with the whole process of simply driving off.
I made the mistake of selecting P when sitting at a set of lights.....thinking that you can just (logically?) select D when the lights turn green and drive on.
I decided against that pretty early in my Leaf. I've not yet experienced start-up in an MG, despite being a likely owner soon. Short version of the story: my wife was delighted with the test drive, so we're getting one. Period. :D
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

coulomb wrote: Sat, 24 Apr 2021, 13:00
Nagaman wrote: Sat, 24 Apr 2021, 09:24 Has anyone else bee confused and frustrated with the whole process of simply driving off.
I decided against that pretty early in my Leaf. I've not yet experienced start-up in an MG, despite being a likely owner soon. Short version of the story: my wife was delighted with the test drive, so we're getting one. Period. :D
I was prepared for a bit of a letdown on the substance front but I’m struggling to find anything other than VW assembly line quality. (SAIC is to make a stretched Audi A7 for the Chinese market which seems to confirm a number of bits n bobs in the MG are from the VAG parts list)
The only criticism I could offer is that the suspension is a bit ‘Chinese handling’........however it’s certainly quieter than our Model 3 ........and wifey is stoked which is really what matters.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

Hi Nagaman, I've put the ZS EV into P while at the lights a few times and was then able to easily select D and drive off. Pressing the big P button as well as the little black 'handbrake movement' button. What exactly happens when you do it?

The only issue with driving off I've learnt is the HV Pack Disconnect which occurs if you don't keep your foot on the brake for the entire time from pressing Start until you see Ready. I'm able to change gers into drive before it gets to Ready though, as long as my foot is on the brake.
Syridian
Noobie

Post by Syridian »

I believe the issue might be caused by not putting your foot on the brake before changing back to D, same thing happens when you don't put your foot on the brake when you attempt to "Start" the car. It shuts off the Traction battery and requires a full cycle start process. Caught me out when I test drove the car, and once or twice in my first week.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

It’s spooky - today there was no problem using P for temporary stops at the lights….so now I’m even more confused.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Nagaman wrote: Sat, 08 May 2021, 15:53 so now I’m even more confused.
I've been having a lot of that lately. Just when I think I've figured out how something works, things change.

One example: I was charging today at nearly the max that the solar can provide. Our cars are right outside our main bedroom. Now I had to re-heat some pizza for my daughter. Heh, I thought; I can just use the key fob to turn off the charge temporarily, so the house battery doesn't have to get discharged. Yep! That works. Neat. Oh wait, the mirrors are folding in again... it's re-locking! Oh, because I didn't open a door, all cars do that. Fine, I can keep pressing the open button on the fob whenever the mirrors move. Yep! That works. Another one... this time, I'll press open twice. Oh, now it's stopped charging! Good, I learned something.

Press close to re-start the charge after the pizza is done. Nope, the MG logo stays dark. Oh. Why is that? So I walk to the car and press close, and this time it starts charging again! Is that because I had the fob close enough to "authenticate" the opens and closes? I just don't know.

And don't talk to me about wheel sizes... :roll:
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

I'n my experience unlocking the car only temporarily stops it charging. Locking it again doesn't affect starting the charging... it'll restart even if the car is unlocked and the doors are open and you are sitting in it. It's a pretty simple timer, maybe 1 or 2 minutes? I'm impressed that you got it to not want to restart though! Maybe if you waited a few minutes it would have done it?
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I’m not inclined to give advice on any matter with the MG due to not being sure if it was a one-off.
Funny stuff happens eg the Tesla invents speed zones that don’t exist whereas the MG doesn’t seem to make any mistakes. I don’t know if it’s due to camera speed sign recognition or map data being more reliable.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

My MG has read an 80 speed zone as a 20 once but that's the only straight out error I've seen. Except when it misses the sign which does happen a bit. It's not very useful in NSW though as we have speed limits posted for school zones everywhere. The MG sees the 40 limit and notes that it's a conditional zone but then it still flashes the speed limit icon at you when you're going over 40, even outside the 3 hours per "school day" when these school zones actually apply. It isn't smart enough to read and understand the conditions, which is fair enough. Sometimes it sees another sign next to an ordinary speed limit sign and thinks that it's conditional then too when it isn't. So you definitely can't rely on it.

Really governments should meet "smart" cars in the middle here and publish live speed zone maps online, including for construction. It's crazy to try to get cars to read and understand all these signs when the infrastrcture needed to publish is so minor. Hopefully we'll get there one day.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

My previous embarrassment seems to have been a one-off.
Selecting P at the lights seems perfectly ok now…….foot on brake, select D and away we go.