Using Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

MG EV Interest Group
Nagaman

Using Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Post by Nagaman »

Has anyone had any experience in using either in their MG.
My android auto isn’t recognised because I need a type A to type C cable (I hope that fixes the problem). The similar Samsung cable didn’t work.
TBH’s iPhone 11 doesn’t seem to be recognised either.....but that might be because this is the first time either of us has attempted to use either of these systems.
How can this be so frustratingly difficult !
Syridian
Noobie

Re: Using Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Post by Syridian »

I've been having all sorts of issues getting Android Auto to work. That's in fact why I'm here, looking for more tips and tricks to see if I can get it working. I'm even taking my car in tomorrow for a service check to see if it has all the latest software updates, I'll let you know how I go with that.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Check its enabled first on the radio. With AA you need a good quality cable too.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I got mine to work ......you have to plug into the left of the two .....you need good light to see the symbol clearly.
My Pixel used an old Samsung cable.
Dopey me then found out you need to load the android auto app onto the phone.
Works brilliantly...and using Google maps voice instruction is excellent also....much to my surprise.
“Hey Google- navigate to ......” plug it in and there it is .
Now, if only it gave speed camera warnings and traffic avoidance suggestions.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Nagaman wrote: Wed, 28 Apr 2021, 19:29.... then found out you need to load the android auto app onto the phone.
I've been trying to get ready for "the big day" (now 4pm Friday, all going well, 41 hours to go :) ), and one of my preparations was learning about Android Auto. Most of the instructions on the web say you have to download the app. So I went looking in the Play Store; I found what looked like it, but it said "installed". I wasted some time looking for it, then did more searching.

It turns out that some installations of Android 10 (on phones) have AA built in, and you don't need the app. My phone came with Android 10. There is a special app in the Play Store called "Android Auto for phone screens", which is for Android 10+ only. It's not clear to me what that's really for, but I think I don't want it. It seems to be a way to run Android Auto on your phone, not on your car's display and speakers. Perhaps it's for people that don't have AA compatible cars.

So for those that happen to have newish Android phones or phones that have updated to Android 10, don't waste time looking for the AA app.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Nagaman wrote: Wed, 28 Apr 2021, 19:29 Now, if only it gave speed camera warnings and traffic avoidance suggestions.
Does it not for you? Google maps definitely does when not used via Android auto, I thought it did through auto too.
You can also choose Waze as your navigation app in Android auto, and it definitely does, I mainly installed waze to get GPS speed on the screen (Google maps only shows speed while navigating a route last time I tried it) our android auto car (not EV) has a very optimistic speedo.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Thanks Mike
I have been using the TomTom Amigo app also (annoyingly it won’t transfer all our places over from the MyDrive app so I’ve left it) ...it gives the latest warnings on Shepparton’s latest traps for the unwary which Google doesn’t seem to know about (an inner 40k zone backed up by a red light/speed camera......a nice little earner I suspect).
Nothing seems to do anything completely and reliably in my experience .......time will tell I guess.
The voice commands for all destinations works flawlessly so that’s a big plus.