MG ZS EV Spare Wheel

MG EV Interest Group
KlinkPC
Groupie

MG ZS EV Spare Wheel

Post by KlinkPC »

Ever since I picked up my car back in November I've been trying to get hold of a spare wheel. According to The MG spares catalogue there is nothing available for the car. So I bought a full size rim from MG spare parts ($446.40) I put on a cheapish Maxxis tyre ($119.00) and added a scissor jack and wheel brace for $55.00. All of this fits comfortably in the wheel well and there is still room for a type two cable and two chargers. So for just over $600 I guess this is the best I could come up with:
Spare Wheel.jpg
Spare Wheel.jpg (468.46 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: MG ZS EV Spare Wheel

Post by coulomb »

A possibly slightly cheaper alternative, ride-home only space-saver, which stores the jack neatly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kalq-os ... 27sManShed

MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
KlinkPC
Groupie

Post by KlinkPC »

The space saver kit is unavailable in Australia. You can get one from the UK via eBay but the shipping is way too expensive.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

KlinkPC wrote: Wed, 31 Mar 2021, 23:22 You can get one from the UK via eBay but the shipping is way too expensive.
I thought the shipping would be steep, but I didn't realise it's prohibitive. I like the foam "cheese" to hold the jack and other bits. Perhaps something could be carved out of something from Clarke Rubber? Or a cheap round foam cushion?
KlinkPC
Groupie

Post by KlinkPC »

I contacted the eBay seller and I think he quoted 160 GBP to ship. That made the space saver kit around $680 in total. In the end a full size wheel makes more sense, at least I can get home on it at a normal speed.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

That’s a steel rim off an ICE ZS ?
KlinkPC
Groupie

Post by KlinkPC »

No, it's for the MG ZS EV, the ICE pattern is very different.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

KlinkPC wrote: Sat, 03 Apr 2021, 08:59 No, it's for the MG ZS EV, the ICE pattern is very different.
Thanks Bob -
So they sell a steel rim for those who want a spare they can put their tyre on ?
KlinkPC
Groupie

Post by KlinkPC »

Hi David,
Yes I gave the MG spare spare parts my VIN and they had the rim sent over from the Eastern States to Perth. I went to my local tyre guy and got him to fit a tyre of my choice.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

KlinkPC wrote: Sat, 03 Apr 2021, 11:06 Hi David,
Yes I gave the MG spare spare parts my VIN and they had the rim sent over from the Eastern States to Perth. I went to my local tyre guy and got him to fit a tyre of my choice.
Thanks Bob -
Did you see this comparative spare parts prices bit :
https://youtu.be/qKgb5NXr7ow
<$A4 for a blanking cover
KlinkPC
Groupie

Post by KlinkPC »

Nagaman wrote: Thanks Bob -
Did you see this comparative spare parts prices bit :
https://youtu.be/qKgb5NXr7ow
<$A4 for a blanking cover
Yes I have, let's hope that parts here in AUS turn out to be reasonable.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I tried to figure out the wheel specifications, and it's super confusing. A lot of sites state that the hole pattern for the ICE, EV, and PHEV are the same, but it's definitely not true. Perhaps they copy off each other? I was sceptical of the difference and measured it myself at a showroom; they are definitely different (ICE versus the other two).

I still can't find the offset for the wheels. That's the distance from the mounting face to the centre-line of the wheel (how far the tyre extends out from the hub).
PCD is the Pitch Circle Diameter; that's the diameter of the imaginary circle that runs through the centre of the bolts.

Here is what seems to be the right wheel data, from my research:
MG ZS EV and PHEV (probably also the HS non-plug-in): PCD 5x112 bore 57.1 (millimetres)
MG ICE models (a few earlier models have 4x100): PCD 5x105 bore 56.6.

There is some suggestion that some Falcon and Volkswagen wheels are compatible. Though the Falcon FG wheel I found claims it's PCD 5x114.3, so check carefully. So it might be possible to pick up a cheaper space-saver spare made for one of these locally, so the shipping isn't prohibitive: comparable or more than the cost of the wheel kit, as @KLinkPC has found. Then perhaps get the neat "cheesecake" foam with the jack and other tools from a wrecked ICE vehicle, e.g. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/203289172820 . I like this arrangement, because it stops things rattling around and it's neat.

The preferred way to calculate the PCD for 5-bolt wheels seems to be to measure the distance between bolt centres of two bolts that are closest to each other, and divide by cosine(54°) = 0.5878 (or multiply by the reciprocal of this number, 1.7013). You could also use the longer distance and divide by cosine(18°) = 0.95106, or multiply by 1.0515 .

[ Edit: added "(ICE versus the other two)". ]
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

This list
https://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/5x112/
Suggests a lot of VW cars have the same PCD and centre bore, and I think I read MG build VW cars in China, so might be a good chance some fit. I read somewhere they need different nuts though (tapered instead of flat).

Also Lamborghini Aventador and McLaren in the list, but I suspect offset is not right, even if you have a few spares lying around.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I guess the extra weight of the EV version mean a bigger PCD specked by the engineers for safety reasons.
The SAIC/Audi arrangement might indicate further alignment of components......possibly wheel patterns ?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

mikedufty wrote: Wed, 28 Apr 2021, 09:55 This list
https://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/5x112/
Suggests a lot of VW cars have the same PCD and centre bore...
But bear in mind that the same database lists NO MGs with a 5x105 hole pattern. I might be wrong about the petrol ZS wheel pattern, and it might even vary by region (I can't think why), but I suspect that there is a lot of cutting and pasting in that database, so it may be full of errors.

But still a quite good place to start.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I was at the dealership today (picking up the new car :D ), and noticed that the HSs come with a space saver tyre and tools. The hole pattern does seem to be the same as the EV, and I even lined up the HS space-saver (with permission) against an EV's wheel. Hard to be totally sure, but they seem to line up.

Anyone know why I can't just order a space saver and toolkit as (a) spare part(s) for a HS, and it should fit my ZS EV? The parts store closed just as I asked the salesperson about it.

Edit: I note that my door sill sticker mentions a T125/90 R16 98M spare tyre "if needed". That's just the tyre specification, nothing about the wheel (125 mm wide, and 90% of that high, 16" rim). I've send off a request to the local MG (actually all of Motorama, many makes) parts office, I'll see what they come up with. I put lots of details in the request, including that I might need a HS spare. They won't be open till Tuesday.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

coulomb wrote: Fri, 30 Apr 2021, 15:26I've send off a request to the local MG (actually all of Motorama, many makes) parts office, I'll see what they come up with. I put lots of details in the request, including that I might need a HS spare. They won't be open till Tuesday.
«Sigh. 😔» I sent it to the wrong parts place; I assumed that Motorama had one parts store for all the various brands that they support. But MMG Auto (parts division) only handles Nissan, Hyundai, Subaru and Isuzu utes; not MG or Ford or Toyota... parts.

I rang Motorama MG in Brisbane Australia today (07 3426 7488 4 or possibly 3246 7372 direct); they say that the HS rim (no tyre) is AU$130 and in stock in Sydney. He's looking into the toolkit and will get back to me. The toolkit is a nice-to-have; it will look the neatest. But I can make my own block of foam and buy a jack and wheel brace if needed, and hopefully get a space-saver tyre from any tyre place. On my ZS EV's VIN sticker, it says that the spare tyre ("if needed"), will be a T125/90 R16 98M. I should check a HS to make sure that they specify the same tyre.

The first thing the parts guy asked me for is the VIN number or rego number of my car. When I said I wanted something that probably has to be ordered as a spare for a HS, he asked for a HS rego number. So you should have one handy; perhaps visit your local MG dealer and write one down. That's what I should have done, if I was wise 🤭🤔
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

coulomb wrote: Sat, 08 May 2021, 10:53 I should check a HS to make sure that they specify the same tyre.
I visited the showroom today, and left totally bamboozled:
https://www.mgevs.com/threads/spare-whe ... post-30054
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I wonder if tyre retailers have a cheat sheet for their aftermarket alloy wheel sales ?
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

Wow! Thanks for all your efforts @coulomb! Maybe we can try ordering from somewhere with MGs closer than the UK? Like India or Thailand or China? Or at least find the exact spec of the wheel from there...
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I've actually ordered a space saver rim (no tyre included) for an MG HS Awd. I assumed that fitting a tyre would be no problem, just bring it to a tyre shop. But now that I actually look on the various tyre shop web sites, I find that they don't mention them, or have only a very small selection that doesn't include the one I need.

Has anyone bought and had fitted any space saver tyre? I'm getting nervous now. We're good customers at the local Good Year tyre centre, hopefully I can get them to order one in even if they don't usually carry them. Hopefully they can also inflate it to the required 420 kPa.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Coulomb wrote:I've actually ordered a space saver rim (no tyre included) for an MG HS Awd.
I was sure I posted here about this. The MG (or at least Motorama MG) part number is 10509232. Description: "WHEEL" :roll: $101+GST+Surcharge(?) came to $112.93. Should arrive in 3-4 working days from Sydney.

Edit: it's the spare wheel for an MG HS AWD. 17" rim, the spare that comes with some ZS EVs is 16".
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

My wife asked today whether the spare space-saver wheel should have arrived. Indeed it should. We rang, and it was there. It seems they're not proactive about letting customers know when parts arrive. Hmmph.

I held it up to the wheel at the parts office, and it looked OK, but it's really hard to tell without taking off a wheel and actually trying it. I spotted a number stamped into the wheel that contained "105". Ruh roh. Should be 112; 105 would be right for the petrol model. Still, maybe it's just a coincidence.

At home, we had dramas finding our wheel braces; we should have at least two of them bought for various cars decades ago. After a short search, I gave up and checked Supercheap Auto: $11. Off I went in the other EV (the MG was already partly jacked up by then). I had the option of a pretty anodised brace for only $7.50, but it didn't look at strong to me, so I got the $11 standard chrome one.

Fortunately, the wheel came off without much effort, and the replacement wheel fits. Below it's just finger tight:

Space saver wheel fitment sm.jpg
Space saver wheel fitment sm.jpg (270.57 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
One thing that bothers me though is the profile of the bolt hole compared to the profile of the bolt shoulder:

Space saver bolt hole and bolt sm.jpg
Space saver bolt hole and bolt sm.jpg (251.78 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
The bolt hole pushes out towards the camera; to me it should be pushed in away from the camera, to better match the bolt profile? Does anyone with experience in this matter have an opinion: is this safe? Will the bolt be able to take the load with that profile? Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing.

Presuming that the above is OK, the next step will be to find a suitable tyre and get it fitted.

Edit: Looking at the photo again, I see that the bolt hole really has to push towards the camera to fit on the totally flat wheel face on the car, and I can see a camfer on the bolt holes. Just nothing like the area of the bolt shoulder. But presumably, that's all that is needed.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I got the reply from Goodyear about the space saver tyre for the rim I bought. They found that there was only one type available, a Continental, for $375! He said he nearly had a coronary hearing that... 🤢 That's a T135/80 R17, which he says is within a millimetre of the diameter of a standard ZS EV tyre (215/50 R17). Being a 135, it's slightly safer than a 125, I guess. I said to go ahead and order it; it comes from Sydney.

So with fitting, I imagine it will come to around $500 all up. That's still $100 cheaper than a full sized wheel, and it takes up less space. Of course, the full size wheel has way more flexibility and way better resale value.
KlinkPC
Groupie

Post by KlinkPC »

Ouch! Anyways Mike at least we both know that now that we have a spare wheel it diminished the chance of ever getting a flat :)