OVMS matters

MG EV Interest Group
Nagaman

OVMS matters

Post by Nagaman »

This morning’s UK forum discussion is on the new OVMS - https://youtu.be/OfF8XMsA1Og

I hope to learn something from this.
blue
Groupie

Re: OVMS matters

Post by blue »

I’m just starting to look at this. Question: Where is the OBD port?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

blue wrote: Fri, 15 Oct 2021, 12:45 Where is the OBD port?
It's in the usual position, under the dash near the steering wheel. This is the bracket that holds it:

OBD2 socket bracket.jpg
OBD2 socket bracket.jpg (188.62 KiB) Viewed 856 times
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
blue
Groupie

Post by blue »

Thanks.I saw an overseas video where it was with the fuse box so I was looking on the other side!

It appears that the OVMS is currently out of stock in our region. My old ELM327 mini doesn’t seem to work anymore (not showing up on Bluetooth). All I am after is the charge level and some how getting that into my home automations system (Home Assistant). Is there any other mechanism that people have seen that will allow that? Cheaper is better!
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

blue wrote: Fri, 15 Oct 2021, 15:40My old ELM327 mini doesn’t seem to work anymore (not showing up on Bluetooth).
Is it perhaps BT V4+ that does not show up for pairing? So the app connects directly to it?
All I am after is the charge level and some how getting that into my home automations system (Home Assistant). Is there any other mechanism that people have seen that will allow that?
Any of the free OBD2 apps could show that; with a bit of effort, you could probably query it from a Raspberry Pi, extract the data, and send it to your automation system over WiFi. See for example this post where I talk directly to the ELM327 protocol. OVMS seems overkill for this application, unless you wanted other features.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
blue
Groupie

Post by blue »

Is it perhaps BT V4+ that does not show up for pairing?
Don’t know. I have had it for a few years but has been in a drawer. When I plug it in a green led flashes, then a red comes on steady. Nothing shows up with a Bluetooth search. Tried with my Android phone and iPad and also tried my CX-9. I’ll didn’t try the BLE SCANNER app so will give that a go tomorrow.
OVMS seems overkill for this application,
That’s what I am thinking. So just thinking out loud about whether there is an easier way to just get this one bit of info.