MG ZS EV

MG EV Interest Group
francisco.shi

Re: MG ZS EV

Post by francisco.shi »

I think you missed the point. Could you control the regen braking accurately enough to stop this close without using the radar or the brake and approaching at say running speed.
What I find with the conventional e-pedal is that the braking force changes as the speed changes.
So say if you are traveling at 5kph you can not get full regen force or if you try to go from full regen to no regen it is very difficult to control.
You can see from the video as I get close I let go of the braking a little because I was braking too much and would have stopped short.
I can control the regen from full torque to nothing at any speed with the same amount of accelerator movement regardless of the speed.
And I can also coast to a stop without having to move the accelerator as the car slows down.
profdraper
Noobie

Post by profdraper »

brunohill wrote: Sat, 03 Oct 2020, 19:01
rhills wrote: Sat, 03 Oct 2020, 17:54 While I agree with your premise, my concern is with the bigger picture. I am concerned that Australia (as well as many other nations) is becoming more and more dependent on China to manufacture things we use and rely on. This increases our dependence on China. I don't have a problem with that per se, but I do have a concern about the apparent enthusiasm of China's leaders to use that dependence to push their ideology.

This concern has led me to become much more careful about researching the provenance of everything I buy, trying to favour Australian made wherever possible.

It's sad that our government passed up the opportunity to encourage local design and manufacture of EVs when they were faffing around with the subsidies to the international automakers a few years ago :cry:
I sounds good in theory, but in reality most of the components and raw materials used in Australian manufacturing these days, comes from China. Even a lot of our food additives. Where I worked at one stage it was cheaper to buy Chinese food grade chemicals than industrial or technical grade Australian or European chemicals and we didn't even have to import it ourselves, as the food industry already was.

I was also cheaper to send a 40 ft shipping container from Melbourne to Shanghai than from Melbourne to Davenport.
Agreed, to a point. The Western 'Anglo' thing for a long time has been to design in xx country, then build as cheaply as possible in the third world (eg, Audi in South Africa, various US in Mexico, Apple in China etc). Nothing new here. If we are offended by some of this - and as a part of climate action - then I guess we should try as much as possible to vote with our feet & our pockets. Re. Chinese /Tiawanese /Korean production in particular, much of our core tech comes from these places in the first place, eg laptop screens, chips, phone displays etc etc. These days I personally am more than happy with the excellent quality of builds from these countries. Say for Apple, my latest workstation was manufactured in Taiwan, perfect, vs. the many documentated complaints about build quality from those manufactured in Texas and Mexico. I believe exactly the same experience relates to Tesla production and it would seem that we should be more than happy that AU cars are manufactured in Shanghai vs. the US given recent panel fit problems and quality control there.

I do take the main point however, there is so much scope for hi tech manufacture and original design in Australia but all of that has been let go by poor federal goverment descisions and lack of interest. We likley can't vote with our pockets much just now, but we can certainly vote with our feet and our votes.
profdraper
Noobie

Post by profdraper »

fl360 wrote: Sun, 14 Feb 2021, 17:54 Hello all, new to the forum, I can be quite good in the numbers.

I am in Sydney, the MG EV is selling for 43.X k drive away - which brings my attention. However I will only consider it if I can fuel it under my controlled load at home, because it is about 11 cents per kwh. compare with the normal price of 23 cents per kwh.

Questions. (assume I can get a sparky to have a normal socket out of the controlled load meter) with its own 20amp circuit.
1. I assume MG will give you a lead which can connect to a normal wall plug ?
2. is that normal wall plug will charge your car in 7 hours ?
3. do you know how much AMP that lead is pulling ? is it 8 amps ? so it is suitable for the wall plug ?
4. for controlled load you all know it only provides electricity as they wish in the middle of the night right ?
[VERY important], in that case can I hook the car up when the wall socket has no power, and when the power comes it will charge by itself ? and when the power goes of course the charging stops... I am asking once the power comes the car will just charge right ? I don't need to interact with it to charge right ? (so I don't need to watch for the controlled load power to come in and I start the charging myself ? )

thanks a lot.
FWIW, after quite a lot of research & consideration, I went with an installation of 7.2kW Wallbox Pulsar Plus hanging off my dedicated ciruit 2. MG dealers in Brisbane provide and all-in-one charger & installation option but I found that a bit pricy. Instead I bought the box from JetCharge, + some travel cables & had our our electrician do it for much less. Then changed electricity provider to Powershop Energy, 100% green & with a dedicated EV plan. Pretty happy with that. We'd also be thinking about solar but we have a flat roof and beatuiful trees (which we are never chopping down). Still investigating that one.
profdraper
Noobie

Post by profdraper »

KlinkPC wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 11:50 I've had this car now for 2500kms. and the only negative about the vehicle is that you cannot buy any sort of spare wheel for it, either space saver or full size. My local dealer in Perth searches by model or VIN and can't supply me with anything. Aside from that I've done a few day trips in typical hot WA weather. The car handles well, the range is adequate and when I use a fast charger I have just enough time for a loo break and a beer before I get going again. I think drivers in Australia need to get used to pulling in every 2 hours and charging up for 40 minutes. It's a lot easier than trying to cover 1000kms. a day.
I was looking at this as well. You can import the right space-saver from the UK via eBay though the shipping costs are high. I guess if we were really keen we could call a UK supplier & see if we can't source better-priced shipping even if via slow-boat. Still, in city use the 7 year road side assist should cover it. With regional driving though, I'd prefer a space saver as well. See https://www.mgevs.com/threads/space-sav ... -kit.1295/
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I wonder if the new one has the spare as an option……it seems to be regarded as a bit old fashioned now.
The new one with the ‘small’ battery is good for 320kms and the big one around 460kms apparently…….I guess new year for it.
I wonder how 2nd handed values are going .
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I charge mine from controlled load.
I use the 15A charger that came with the car (which I think you can't get anymore)
When the power comes on at about 9:30pm the car starts to charge and stops when the power goes out at about 6am. I get about 120km in that time.
One thing you have to consider is the controlled load may be limited to 20A.
In my case the controlled load is supplied by a 20A breaker so I can not run hot water and charger at the same time. I have solar collectors to heat up water so I don't normally need to use the electric heater.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

francisco.shi wrote: Sun, 14 Nov 2021, 22:45 I use the 15A charger that came with the car (which I think you can't get anymore)
When the power comes on at about 9:30pm the car starts to charge and stops when the power goes out at about 6am. I get about 120km in that time.
Hmmm I'd have thought you'd get quite a bit more at that rate?
15 A at 240 V = 3.6 kW. 9:30pm to 6am is 8.5 hours.
3.6 * 8.5 = 30.6 kWh. 30.6 / 44.5 (conservative) = 68% of battery, so 180 km?

Conversely, 120 km is about 45% of the battery, which in 8.5 hours works out to charging at a rate of about 2.39 kW... very very close to 10 A!
Are you sure you didn't get a 10 A charger with the car? I also haven't heard of anyone getting a 15 A charger.

If you do have a 10 A then yeah, you could upgrade to charge 50% faster!
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

The '15A' EVSE that comes with my outlander is only pulls about 10A. It's a 10A EVSE with a 15A plug because pulling 10A from a 10A socket (especially for many hours from a house with old and dodgy wiring) is a good way to burn stuff
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

FyKnight wrote: Tue, 16 Nov 2021, 21:39 Are you sure you didn't get a 10 A charger with the car? I also haven't heard of anyone getting a 15 A charger.
My guess is that it's a 15A x 80% = 12A "charger". Then there are losses, perhaps 10% at only 36% of rated power. Then there are all the 12V loads, including pumps and computers, and the DC-DC converter's losses. Finally, I find that my MG ZS EV draws a few percent less than what the EVSE asks for. My other EV, a 2012 Leaf, draws noticeably more current on the same setting.

In the UK, their granny chargers draw about 10A from a 13A plug, about 77% of rated current.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

The charger that came with the car had the MG brand on it and had a 15A plug.
It charges at a rate of 2.34kw according to the power meter.
A charger with a 15A plug will not draw 15A. Is around 12A. I think they do that so if the plug and socket are jot in their best condition they don't burn.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

Ah that all makes sense. So you'd need a 20A socket to actually get 15A then I guess?

I've noticed the same thing as @coulomb, the MG draws a little less than the max that the EVSE allows.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

FyKnight wrote: Sun, 21 Nov 2021, 17:55 Ah that all makes sense. So you'd need a 20A socket to actually get 15A then I guess?
From a "charger" that has only one current limit, probably yes.

I have one with an adjustable current rate, so I can get 15 A from my 15 A industrial style outlet. I can also get 16 A, but I don't leave it on that setting for long. Since I have a dedicated circuit with a 20 A breaker and I know that the house cable is rated for well over 20 A (it's 4 mm² in conduit with another cable for 2 metres), I'm happy to leave it running continuously at 15 A from the 15 A socket. I do regularly check for warmth from the socket, "charger" cable, plug, adapter etc. The 15A plug is almost never unplugged. I find that the most warmth comes from the "charger" itself, presumably the relay contacts.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.