Recommend me an inverter/charger please

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
curto
Noobie

Recommend me an inverter/charger please

Post by curto »

Hey Guys,

We are on grid and have just committed to a 3 phase 10KW solar system in Sydney.

We have high usage as both my wife and i work from home and run our own businesses from here.

We can justify a battery solution based on the current Federal Govt Assett write off as well as aebitraging the grid (we use Amber Electric)

What i am looking for in an inverter/charger is

1) 3 phase so i can power the majority of our house (particularly in low load situation such as overnight, afternoon peak etc)
2) Programmatic control (through an API, Modbus etc) - Amber Electric provide us with wholesale electric prices - this means that depending on what the NEM is doing our price fluctuates on 1/2 increments - we can get these pricing notifications through an API they publish and intend to use this to smooth out any peaks and to push battery capacity onto the grid when the wholesale price dictates this to be advantageous (for instance - many afternoons between 5 and 7PM the price can jump to $1Kw or more - so it would make sense to push 10-12 KW from the battery into the grid (whilst minimizing our own usage) and to then top up the batteries at cheaper rates late at night - or if enough charge remains to use them through until the morning

So does anyone know of an inverter/charger that will give me this level of control for 3 phase ? My preference would be for low voltage (48v) rather than some of the higher voltage stuff as this appears to be where the sweet spot is for price at the moment.

thanks

Craig
paulvk
Groupie

Re: Recommend me an inverter/charger please

Post by paulvk »

You can only look at the likes of Tesla , LG ect as you will have to get an approved grid connect system.
I still think it unlikely that you will get a return on investment though.
curto
Noobie

Post by curto »

Sorry why do you say i can only use an AC (i assume that is what you meant) coupled system ?

The return on investment is fine as we will essentially save 40% with the tax break we will get for buyng them and then if i can arbitrage the grid as well as shaving off the high peak usage charges we will end up ahead.

Tesla is not an option as they will not backfeed the grid unless you do some messing around with their CT clamps which is not approved by them.

I definitely want/need the ability to backfeed the grid to make the economics work

Craig
paulvk
Groupie

Post by paulvk »

curto wrote: Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 04:59 Sorry why do you say i can only use an AC (i assume that is what you meant) coupled system ?
Craig
What I am saying is that grid connect must use approved equipment on the list and the distributor has to agree
also I think battery grid feed may not be allowed at present only in trials.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

In the three-phase hybrid inverter world, the best two options appear to be the Fronius Symo hybrid and the Goodwe ET series (both 10 kW).
I think it would be better to have an all-in-one inverter because too many boxes on the side of your house gets to be a bit of an eyesore.
LV or HV - makes no difference apart from a few hundred bucks upfront really.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
curto
Noobie

Post by curto »

Unfortunately Fronius only have a 5kw 3 phase Hybrid at the moment - the new Series 24 is meant to be coming but still no ETA or price at this point.

The Goodwe was where i was originally looking - but they will not guarantee the API for inverter control and for allowing the battery to be dumped back to the grid.

I have been in touch with both my distributor and retailer and have in writing that there is no issue with backfeeding the grid from a battery system - as long as the Inverter is to Australian standards and obeys islanding rules etc.

we needed 4 x MPPT inputs to achieve the number of panels on our roof and hence has gone with two cheap "throw away" 5Kw 3 phase units - Solis. The idea bieng in the future when the right Hybrid does come out i can just drop that in and move a couple of the solar strings across to that.

Failing that i was hoping to find a solution that could work in parallel as a "retrofit" style solution.

Craig
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,

Did you look at Solax?
X3-Hybrid Seires [sic] is a high-quality inverter which can convert solar energy to ACenergy and store energy into battery.Energy producted by inverter can be used to optimize self consumption, store in the battery for future use or feedin to public grid. Work mode depends on PVenergy and user’s preference. It can provide power for emergency use during the grid lost by using the energy from battery and inverter(generated from PV)
dRdoS7