AEVA Members: your Forum Login (here) is NOT the same as your new AEVA member login.
You do not need to change your existing Forum login.

MPPSolar (or equivalent) recommendation

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
Jasperator
Noobie

MPPSolar (or equivalent) recommendation

Post by Jasperator »

Good day All,
I have a project which is basically supplementing generator power with a battery (and solar) backed inverter.
The MPP Solar MPI 5K looks like the best unit, but to allow us to go three phase if required I am also considering the V2-5048.
The community here appears to have the most experience with a wide range of MPPSolar (and equivalent) devices so I am looking for your recommendation as to the most suitable unit.

An MPPSolar sales rep told me that the MPI 5K can produce up to 7kW of output and surge to 14kW. Looking at the manual this appears to be using the 'grid relay'.
Do any of you know what the 'grid relay' is and whether it works as expected? (Is this connecting the AC input with the AC output via a relay to the load such that there is essentially the grid feed inverter and the output inverter in parallel?)
Does anyone have any experience with the surge power output claims?

Does this mode apply to the V2-5048? Does anyone have experience with it's surge output power?

And... Lithium cells,
Has anyone experience using the MPPSolar with LiFePO4 cells?
Is the serial protocol for the MPI 5K known?
I am assuming the supported lithium power pack interface simply sets control current etc. does anyone know?
Does the MPI 5K have a native constant current charge mode selectable via serial?

Has anyone been able to modify the MPI 5K to do linked 3-phase?

Any other thoughts/experience?

Cheers.

antiscab

Re: MPPSolar (or equivalent) recommendation

Post by antiscab »

If it really does support pylontech batteries, then you could use a BMS that uses the same communication standard

Orion and Zeva come to mind, there are no doubt others
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells