Split phase inverter firmware modification

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
Fyca
Noobie

Split phase inverter firmware modification

Post by Fyca »

Coulomb, I would like to find out if you could give me a little info how you mod firmware files. I have an MPP Lv2424 and would like to mod the firmware. Also do you know if a firmware file with the same version number works across multiple devices? Appreciate any info thanks. BTW The firmware file I have is Intel hex or ccs .out file

coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Split phase inverter firmware modification

Post by coulomb »

Fyca wrote:
Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 06:19
Coulomb, I would like to find out if you could give me a little info how you mod firmware files.

Sure. It's no secret, but I'll keep most of it off the public forum. Note that it is a lot of work (set aside days), you need a good reverse engineering tool (Ida Pro professional is ideal, but it's not cheap), you need a reverse engineering mindset, and you will be working with DSP assembly language, which is not designed for humans to use (only compilers). The actual patching is also tedious and error prone. A significant patch set (such as our pathed firmware with AussieView, KettleKomp etc) is months of work, involving over 70 patch locations and many sets of assembly language functions; read the .txt file for say 72.20e for an idea. There is also the possibility of bricking your machine.
I have an MPP Lv2424 and would like to mod the firmware.

You can't do anything without a firmware update file for that model. Do you have that?
Also do you know if a firmware file with the same version number works across multiple devices?

I think you are asking whether the same firmware version will operate say a 2400VA model and a 3600VA model without modification.
The answer is sometimes. For example in the PIP-5048 models, the firmware works only with that model. There are even different firmwares for the PF0. 8 and 64V variants. However for some lower power models there is an I/O pin connected to a resistive divider, and different models have different resistors populated there. The firmware for these reads that I/O port at startup, and sets a bunch of global variables for things like maximum power, battery voltage limits, and so on.
BTW The firmware file I have is Intel hex or ccs .out file
That sounds like you have a firmware update file already.
If I have failed to put you off by now, send a PM for more details.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

Fyca
Noobie

Post by Fyca »

It sounds like a very involved process that may be over my head, but I am willing to learn. I have 2 inverters and can't really afford to bricked either of them but the mods I want to make should give them better functionality. I have 1 other question. Can a mod be made that can give me a value whether or not the batteries are floating? That is something that appears to be missing from protocol 18.

Fyca
Noobie

Post by Fyca »

Here is the firmware file incase a body else is looking for it.
Attachments
LV3K11.01P.rar
11.01 firmware for Infini V 3k I think.
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 2 times

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Fyca wrote:
Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 00:30
the mods I want to make should give them better functionality.
Do you mind staring what your intended mods are?
Can a mod be made that can give me a value whether or not the batteries are floating? That is something that appears to be missing from protocol 18.
Missing from the documented commands, perhaps.
Your inverter appears to be one that handles mostly "secure" commands (starting with the up-arrow '^' character), but also supports some traditional commands. One of these is the undocumented Q1 command. I have documented what it returns from a PIP-4048MS, but it's completely different for this Infini.

It looks to me that the 13th to 16th responses are:
13 1 digit real switch on status
14 5 digits Inverter local status
15 2 digits Inv Chg Status
16 3 digits (tenths of a volt) Battery volt reference

I'd say that either the 15th field (possibly the 14th field), if it has the value 13 or 03, indicates that the inverter is in the float stage. Ending in 0 means not charging, ending in 1 or 2 means bulk and absorb respectively. But these are based on similarities with the PIP-5048MS firmware. The structure of the code (e.g. the 6 tasks and what they broadly do) is very similar, in fact for a while I wasn't convinced that this was an Infini model at all. But I see now that it is.

Are you able to send a Q1 command and inspect the output? It would be great to see the values when in float, and at some other time, to make sure I have the details correct. It's possible that I've miscounted the output fields, but with the 1/5/2/3 digit pattern, and a battery-like voltage (523 represenging 52.3 V) at the end, it should be easy to figure out which fields are which.

This firmware (version 11.01) is for a fixed 3 kVA PF0.8 (2.4 kW) 24 V model, no other. It happens that I have firmware for an Infini V2, version 11.30, that looks much the same in structure, but is for a 3 kVA PF1 (3 kW) 48 V machine. I base this on the results from the first half dozen results of a PIRI command.

So it does look like 11.01 is for an LV2424.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

Fyca
Noobie

Post by Fyca »

The Q1 command does not fail to run, but it does not return anything either. As far as my thoughts on mods the first one already discussed is the addition of an indication of float mode over the serial protocol. I've built my own generator start circuit and control it from my raspberry pi for a fully autonomous off grid power setup. Another mod would be setting a maximum power limit for smaller generator use. I currently run dynamic charge control from my pi but it only allows you to change your charge rate it would be nice to also switch over to the "battery only mode" as to disconnect the generator if your demands become more that the set threshold. My last mod you already took care of, a battery voltage sag fix.