Idle and Load consumption - PIP 3024GK

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
ojeysky
Noobie

Idle and Load consumption - PIP 3024GK

Post by ojeysky » Tue, 06 Aug 2019, 03:24

Hello Folks,

I have a 3024GK series setup with 6 panels in series connected to two 24v 150Ah batteries. The manual says that the idle consumption is <35w, however I have seen from a forum where it was indicated that it actually consumes more and that it's consumption increases as load is added.

Does anyone know the actual idle consumption and what is consumed by the inverter when on load? I have noticed that it seem it's consuming a lot but I want to be extra sure that it's not my battery that is merely giving up the ghost.

Regards

coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Idle and Load consumption - PIP 3024GK

Post by coulomb » Tue, 06 Aug 2019, 21:00

It consumes (wastes) more power when the inverter is powering a load, but then it's not idle, so it's not idle consumption.

Most of the PIP series have about 93% efficiency on the inverters, excluding idle consumption. So about 7% of the load power is wasted as heat. So for every kilowatt of load, some 70 watts has to come from the battery, the panels, or from the AC input (grid or generator). It's a little more complex than a constant fraction of the load, because although the IGBTs have a relatively constant voltage drop, the battery-side MOSFETs have a constant resistance, so their losses are more proportional to the square of the current (hence the square of the load power, essentially).

I don't know the 24 V models, so I can't tell you their idle consumption. But 35 W doesn't sound unreasonable. The 48 V 5 kVA models have about a 50 W idle consumption. This powers fans, various electronics including the display and control computers, as well as the fixed losses of the inverter.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

ojeysky
Noobie

Re: Idle and Load consumption - PIP 3024GK

Post by ojeysky » Fri, 09 Aug 2019, 05:25

Thanks a lot for the feedback
coulomb wrote:
Tue, 06 Aug 2019, 21:00
It consumes (wastes) more power when the inverter is powering a load, but then it's not idle, so it's not idle consumption.

Most of the PIP series have about 93% efficiency on the inverters, excluding idle consumption. So about 7% of the load power is wasted as heat. So for every kilowatt of load, some 70 watts has to come from the battery, the panels, or from the AC input (grid or generator). It's a little more complex than a constant fraction of the load, because although the IGBTs have a relatively constant voltage drop, the battery-side MOSFETs have a constant resistance, so their losses are more proportional to the square of the current (hence the square of the load power, essentially).

I don't know the 24 V models, so I can't tell you their idle consumption. But 35 W doesn't sound unreasonable. The 48 V 5 kVA models have about a 50 W idle consumption. This powers fans, various electronics including the display and control computers, as well as the fixed losses of the inverter.