Inverter solar charger 2 kVA SCC problem

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
peppejam
Noobie

Inverter solar charger 2 kVA SCC problem

Post by peppejam » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 01:06

Hi, my name is Joseph,
sorry for english.
I have a problem with this inverter solar charger. I note that it is practically very similar to the PIP-HS_MS_4-5KVA models. This is 2KVA but the electronics are similar as you can see from the photos.
The problem is that when I connect the solar panels it normally goes into battery recharging but as soon as I disconnect the panels the solar recharge is not disconnected and in the panel contacts I measure the 24V of the batteries. Is it a problem you know? I have already replaced the SCC card but the problem remains. The relay on the SCC card remains practically energized.
thanks

weber
Site Admin

Re: Inverter solar charger 2 kVA SCC problem

Post by weber » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 05:55

I've seen this with two otherwise-identical PIP-4048MS. One will do it and one won't.

I don't know what causes it, but I imagine there must be some unintended leakage path from battery to input, whose resistance varies between units, and in some cases it subceeds a threshold, such that it's enough to convince the SCC it still has some input.

It may waste a little bit of power, keeping the SCC powered up, but apart from that, I don't think it's a problem.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

peppejam
Noobie

Re: Inverter solar charger 2 kVA SCC problem

Post by peppejam » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 15:59

This defect leads to a loss of battery charge. The display remains with the current indication coming from the solar panel even if disconnected. If I turn on the charger with only the batteries connected without the panel this does not happen. At the first connection of the solar panel the relay which should disconnect the panel when the voltage drops below a certain threshold does not de-energize. I measured and it is the logic that keeps the relay running. Do you have a service manual that can indicate where to look for the problem?