PIP 3024/4024 inverter with 6S battery bank

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
Jacob89
Noobie

PIP 3024/4024 inverter with 6S battery bank

Post by Jacob89 » Mon, 13 May 2019, 18:48

Hi all,
I have purchased myself a used Tesla model S battery module. I'd really like to use it with one of the MPPSolar PIP inverters. Unfortunately since my tesla battery module is in a 6s configuration, the voltage range does not line up well with that of the PIP inverters. The low voltage cut out is 21v, and I need to go down to about 19v to get the most out of my battery. Also, I don't want to charge it much past 24.5, but the minimum charge voltage settable in these inverters is 25v.
Does anyone know if there is a way to get these inverters to play nicely with the voltage range I need, like changing the firmware or something?
Otherwise I think I'll have to spend a lot more money on a Victron.

coulomb
Site Admin

Re: PIP 3024/4024 inverter with 6S battery bank

Post by coulomb » Mon, 13 May 2019, 20:56

Jacob89 wrote:
Mon, 13 May 2019, 18:48
... the voltage range does not line up well with that of the PIP inverters.
Yes, they're just not 24 V batteries. 7S would have been a much better fit.
Does anyone know if there is a way to get these inverters to play nicely with the voltage range I need, like changing the firmware or something?
If a suitable firmware update file was available, it might be possible. But running an inverter at 19 V when it's not designed for that voltage could be a problem. To get full power out of the inverter, the battery current at 19 V would be more than it was designed for. It might be fine, but it might blow MOSFETs or the like.
Otherwise I think I'll have to spend a lot more money on a Victron.
Do they have a wide enough range to cater for these batteries? If so, that might be your only realistic option.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, PIP-4048MS inverter, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

Jacob89
Noobie

Re: PIP 3024/4024 inverter with 6S battery bank

Post by Jacob89 » Tue, 14 May 2019, 17:33

coulomb wrote:
Mon, 13 May 2019, 20:56

If a suitable firmware update file was available, it might be possible. But running an inverter at 19 V when it's not designed for that voltage could be a problem. To get full power out of the inverter, the battery current at 19 V would be more than it was designed for. It might be fine, but it might blow MOSFETs or the like.
I see what you're saying, but I don't anticipate trying to run the inverter at full load when the battery is that low.
I was just reading the manual for the PIP-4024MSP, apparently it can go as low as 20v, and the charging voltage can be set as low as 24v, so I think it maybe a better option.

Do they have a wide enough range to cater for these batteries? If so, that might be your only realistic option.
Yes they go down to 19v. I know there are some people using them successfully with Tesla battery modules.