PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
weber
Site Admin

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by weber »

teba wrote:
Wed, 27 May 2020, 13:07
I assume that the KettleKomp™ voltage is tested against PBCV and raw battery voltage against PSDV. Am I right?
No. All comparisons related to either low cutoff voltage (PBCV) or back-to-utility voltage (PSDV) use the compensated battery voltage. That includes the low battery warning that appears below the low cutoff voltage plus 0.5 V, and goes away above the low cutoff voltage plus 1.0 V.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

teba
Noobie

Post by teba »

Thanks to both of you.
Now I've got it.

Suncatcher1
Noobie

Post by Suncatcher1 »

Hi. I'm having trouble to connect with my inverter with the com board. I used pin 1 and 2 for tx and rx and 8 for ground. But it doesn't want to connect via a USB RS232 adaptor. What is the problem to connect it straight to the 6 pins connector on the board? Why is the opto coupler so important? I bought the inverter second hand and there was no cable and that's the reason i have to fiddle around. What could happen if i connect it straight to the white connector?
Thanks for help
Marcel

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Suncatcher1 wrote:
Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 10:39
I bought the inverter second hand and there was no cable and that's the reason i have to fiddle around.
I assume you've made a cable from the pin-out in this post.
Why is the opto coupler so important? ...
What could happen if i connect it straight to the white connector?
It's not clear to me, but I believe that the power supply common ("digital earth") is essentially connected to the negative end of the DC bus. This alternately connects to neutral or active of the inverter output, depending on whether the output is active-positive (one half cycle) or active-negative (the other half cycle), respectively. So for 10 ms it is at neutral potential (a few volts AC with respect to earth, depending on wiring and loads), and for 10 ms it is a negative half-cycle of 230 VAC.

In short, I believe you'd fry your interface, possibly also your computer, and there is a chance of shock and/or fire. Plus, the signal would not get through. But that's about it :shock:

This is what makes the PV input connections on the 450 V and 500 V max PV input models lethal, even at night. It also seems to be the cause of a bus over-voltage problem when there is leakage to earth from wet solar panels in the PIP-5048MG / Axpert MKS II models, resulting in fault code 08. It seems that the voltage from the negative end of the DC bus (where you want to connect, in effect), is getting rectified and fed into the bus capacitors.

So you absolutely need the opto-couplers; either those on the communications board or your own. But it seems to me that you may as well use the ones on the communications board.

Lots of people have trouble connecting to the comm port at first; read through the relevant posts and eliminate all potential problems.
For example, is your USB to serial adapter one that uses the known-compatible PL2303 chip?
Can you see your commands coming through on the PIP's RXD pin (pin 2 of the 8-pin RJ-45 connector)?
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

maxo
Noobie

Post by maxo »

Hi to everyone here.
I 'm new here in this blog, neverlless, I have checked already all what was written about the fault code 08 here .
This is probably question for one of the members with similar problem or maybe for Coulomb directly.

What is the problem: I have ORVALDI MKS5K MPPT 3000W, 48V, 4/5kVA, installed originally back in year 2014, with lead acid battery's 48V system- 180Ah, solar panels on roof 3,6 kWpp. All operated by line or from solar/batterys. All was OK until in year 2017 when I have problems with the TX6, D62 and souroundings on main board, only solution then was to change complete main board in July 2017 and since then up to 1 month ago, all works as need to.
Then sporadically starts to happened fault 08, which could only be reset by hard reset (battery off) and after restart it works OK until to another fault 08.
Mainly fault comes out, when in the morning between 8-9 AM at very high sun in this days, battery charge reach 52,0V (setup in parameter) and when unit want to change the supply of house loads from line supply to battery/solar supply.
Fault 08 comes out very sporadically, one or two - three days with no fault and then (especially on days with strong sun already in the early morning) happened last days every day.
Just today I have encountered, what really happened in that moment: when battery voltage reach 53,9 or 54,0 V and charge step up to upper charge setup of 58,0V , suddenly starts to charge the battery's with very high current (setup max is to 60A) - at that moment it could be heard the bubbles in the battery's. Of coarse (thank's good) the fault 08 comes out imidiatelly (otherwise probably the battery would explode).
After restart (hard reset) unit works like never has nothing happened, but it is busy to do that all and all again.

So on first view, mine problem is not like any similar what's already described here in this forum happening around fault 08.

Just for info: PIP operates still with original software version U1= 52.20 and U2=01.24 ( I was not upgrade it when it was not needed at all, when all works ).

I still have old (original main board with missing TX 6 as upper described) and maybe somebody could help me to trace, where this battery charge control is located (is it on the main board or it is somewhere on the SCC or other boards).

My intention is to repair the unit in any case, first need to locate the electronics parts, after then would order possible problematic parts and then reassemble all needed when spare parts will be in hand.
Otherwise I' m dealing with hobby electronics and have all needed instrumentation and parts around, but anyway

Please help if possible

Many thanks in advance

maxo

dinu_tiberiu_george
Noobie

Post by dinu_tiberiu_george »

Hy, I have a parralel configuration of Two Mppsolar 5048ms "58.4v" version (not 64v)
Can i update with this firmware? viewtopic.php?p=77943#p77943

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

dinu_tiberiu_george wrote:
Fri, 26 Jun 2020, 16:19
Two Mppsolar 5048ms "58.4v" version (not 64v) Can i update with this firmware? viewtopic.php?p=77943#p77943
Yes. Though you should first check that your present firmware is version 74.XX.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.