PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
rezydent
Noobie

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by rezydent »

GioArca67 wrote: Tue, 04 May 2021, 02:54 At about 13:30 - 14:00 voltage rised from 140 to 170 V whilst power increased from 200 to 600W: i.e. current varied from 1.4 to 3.5 A, then about one hour later with less voltage it could sink 750W (about 5.3A).
Also note that the data reading is every 30 seconds. It is not a reliable measurement. When I am in front of the inverter, it shows much more power than it is on the chart. A strong wind blew all night. In addition, the work cycle shows that my house consumed 6kW for 8 hours a night today. The battery voltage was 49VDC at 22:00 and in the morning I had 53VDC. The chart shows that the system generated only 1.5 kW, which is not true. Because according to my calculations, the system had to generate 6kW plus about 4kW for such a voltage difference to appear on the battery. So in real terms he gave over 10kW, which is closer to the truth.
6240 solar, 2 x PIP5048MG inverter, 20kWh battery
3120 solar, PIP5048MG inverter 6kWh battery
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

rezydent wrote: Thu, 06 May 2021, 01:37 When I am in front of the inverter, it shows much more power than it is on the chart.
I wonder if your monitoring software is using the data value that is net current into the battery (with load current taken off), instead of total charge current from the solar/wind. It's so confusing, and poorly documented.
In addition, the work cycle shows that my house consumed 6kW for 8 hours a night today.
Wow, that's a lot of power. Oh, wait, from the below, I think you mean 6 kWh of energy, not 6 kW of power.
according to my calculations, the system had to generate 6kW
6 kWh o cover the loads, right?
plus about 4kW for such a voltage difference to appear on the battery.
And around 4 kWh to charge the battery that far.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
rezydent
Noobie

Post by rezydent »

coulomb wrote: Thu, 06 May 2021, 07:43 Wow, that's a lot of power. Oh, wait, from the below, I think you mean 6 kWh of energy, not 6 kW of power.
Yes, made a mistake when writing.
I used it 6 kW/h.
At that time, neither the PV nor the power grid were producing any energy. Only a wind turbine
coulomb wrote: Thu, 06 May 2021, 07:43 I wonder if your monitoring software is using the data value that is net current into the battery (with load current taken off), instead of total charge current from the solar/wind. It's so confusing, and poorly documented.
I think you're right. Now I do not look (at the graphs in the computer) how much energy is produced from the wind turbine, but what the voltage on the battery bank is in the morning.
6240 solar, 2 x PIP5048MG inverter, 20kWh battery
3120 solar, PIP5048MG inverter 6kWh battery
ather
Noobie

Post by ather »

Hello everyone , I have shared my learning experience of Inverter RS232 & Arduino at below link , I hope this will be helpful for Newbies and folks struggling with communication:

**Arduino to Inverter Communication**
1) Introduction https://youtu.be/dlhsc_KjIM4
2) Arduino Hardware & IDE Newbie TIPS https://youtu.be/ftKbP3vNxyE
3) RS232 - TTL - XMODEM https://youtu.be/Dz7Q8w2dQa8
4) Level Shifter Recommendation MAX3232 https://youtu.be/GtuMeMpxrhY
5) Connections Wiring & Known Issues & Solutions https://youtu.be/GdFo-CIrSc4
6) Video Clips from Video 5 https://youtu.be/cOzasnS0ijY
7) 'Watch Power' installation & Usage https://youtu.be/ZeQ-580CM8g
8) Using Serial Monitor Software https://youtu.be/Rnf7t92or2Q
9) 14 Line Arduino Code (Only) https://youtu.be/Ri2HvdjnINw
10) CRC Calculator for Solar Inverter https://youtu.be/8zXX_k46A9A

Full details , along with Arduino Code is also available at:

https://forum.arduino.cc/t/rs232-read-d ... thersaleem
MarkusRE
Noobie

Post by MarkusRE »

Hi,

I just received the hopefully actual Servicemanual from EASUN regarding 4KVA/ 5KVA Inverters. V201703A.
Of there is interest getting this just let me know.

Kind regards
Markus
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

MarkusRE wrote: Fri, 21 May 2021, 18:11 I just received the hopefully actual Servicemanual from EASUN regarding 4KVA/ 5KVA Inverters. V201703A.
[I]f there is interest getting this just let me know.
Yes, please. Service manuals are quite useful; I don't have any for 2017 or 2018. It's possible that it contains some information missing from the others.

Either attach it, host it on a file sharing site, or PM me for a Google Drive folder you can upload it to.
MarkusRE
Noobie

Post by MarkusRE »

coulomb wrote: Fri, 21 May 2021, 18:57
MarkusRE wrote: Fri, 21 May 2021, 18:11 I just received the hopefully actual Servicemanual from EASUN regarding 4KVA/ 5KVA Inverters. V201703A.
[I]f there is interest getting this just let me know.
Yes, please. Service manuals are quite useful; I don't have any for 2017 or 2018. It's possible that it contains some information missing from the others.

Either attach it, host it on a file sharing site, or PM me for a Google Drive folder you can upload it to.
Here you are. Hope it works, but normally yes.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/0276d0 ... 000/694f79

Do we need something else? For the moment I have a very good contact.

Now I'm just waiting for my replacement from china and try to repair this one. IRGP already arrived.

Regards
Markus
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

MarkusRE wrote: Sat, 22 May 2021, 01:14 Here you are. Hope it works
Thanks! This one has information about the dual- and triple-MPPT models, that I've not seen before.
Do we need something else? For the moment I have a very good contact.
Wow. I'm sure I'll think of something important soon. For now, we don't have any PIP-8048MS firmware; I have 7.2 kW firmware.
swissguest
Noobie

Post by swissguest »

I'm not sure this question lands in the correct place, if not can one of the moderators point me in the right direction?

I have a Mecer 48V 5kva inverter, with 3600W panels and a 10kw Lithium Ion battery. The inverter and the battery do not really play nice together, I've gathered from this forum that a firmware upgrade could do the trick. Coulomb confirmed on the South African forum that the 72.20e package is the one for my model, so I downloaded that.
Yesterday I finally took the plunge to try to do something about the upgrade. I loaded PowerWatch on a somewhat older Windows 10 machine (the only Windows machine I have), to see if I could connect to the inverter at all (I normally use ICC on a raspberry which works (worked) fine, but the firmware instructions include a PowerWatch instruction, so ...) I had ordered a USB-D9 male serial cable (of sufficient quality, I hope, I found the link somewhere in one of these forums, supplied by Communica). Seriously surprised that I could not plug this in! There are 2 ports on the inverter marked 'Parallel', obviously not the ones, since they also have a different number of pins, 3 rows, like a VGA connector, 1 in, 1 out?. The only port that looks like it could be serial (marked RS232 communication port) is an RJ45. So I plugged a patch cable in and connected the other end to the PC. Not for long, because smoke started pouring out of the inverter... I disconnected everything and switched the inverter off (very quickly!). Then, starting with battery, then load, then solar and then AC, I connected everything back and, luckily, the inverter still works. What does not work, though, is the data connection to my Raspberry Pi, running ICC, so I guess I smoked (literally) the comms board in the inverter. That should not be too much of a hassle to replace? But that does not bring me further in upgrading the firmware!

First question: How do I connect (what cable, connectors either end, 1 end likely RJ45, the other USB?) the PC with the upgrade package on it to the inverter to run the upgrade process? Clearly not via a CAT5 cable! I see enough RJ45-USB cables online, but these tend to come in pairs as they seem to be intended to allow USB-USB connection to go longer by using CAT5/6 instead of USB cabling.

Second question: Is it likely that I did damage the comms board and can I fix/replace that diy? If so, while this is being replaced/fixed, can I run the inverter without it? It seems to run fine right now, with a smoked comms board, but that board is still in it. Once it's out for fixing and or replacement that may be different?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

swissguest wrote: Sat, 22 May 2021, 17:21 the firmware instructions include a PowerWatch instruction, so ...)
Actually, the instruction is to make sure that you exit Watchpower properly. But you need the USB to RS-232 adapter anyway.
I had ordered a USB-D9 male serial cable (of sufficient quality, I hope, I found the link somewhere in one of these forums, supplied by Communica). Seriously surprised that I could not plug this in! There are 2 ports on the inverter marked 'Parallel', obviously not the ones, since they also have a different number of pins, 3 rows, like a VGA connector, 1 in, 1 out?. The only port that looks like it could be serial (marked RS232 communication port) is an RJ45. So I plugged a patch cable in and connected the other end to the PC.
Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear that. I've updated the firmware upload instructions to emphasise not to do this; hopefully it might save someone else in future.
What does not work, though, is the data connection to my Raspberry Pi, running ICC, so I guess I smoked (literally) the comms board in the inverter.
Yes, that seems very likely.
That should not be too much of a hassle to replace?
They have certainly been replaced, but it's not a quick and easy thing, unfortunately. Ask your inverter supplier.
First question: How do I connect (what cable, connectors either end, 1 end likely RJ45, the other USB?) the PC with the upgrade package on it to the inverter to run the upgrade process?
You use the RJ-45 to D9 cable that should have come with your inverter, at the end of your USB to RS-232 adapter. Of if your PC is very old, use the supplied cable directly into the serial D( port of your computer. Voltronic should be shot for using an RJ-45 connector for the RS-232 port, and then shot again for not using the existing standard pinout for RS-232 on RJ-45. Especially if (as you have found, sadly) that this can result in burned parts. It seems such an obvious thing to do: connect the RJ-45 to the other RJ-45 via the very commonly available cables that fit. Yet it mustn't be done.
Second question: Is it likely that I did damage the comms board and can I fix/replace that diy?
It depends on whether it was the "transformer" (really a multi-winding inductor), or any other part. The transformer can't be bought from a standard electronics supplier, although I vaguely recall someone finding the specifications for one of them, so one could be ordered from a specialty supplier.

Sadly, I suspect that it will be the transformer that has melted, and one winding will now be open circuit, despite your hasty turning off.
If so, while this is being replaced/fixed, can I run the inverter without it?
Yes.
It seems to run fine right now, with a smoked comms board, but that board is still in it. Once it's out for fixing and or replacement that may be different?
It will run just fine without the comms board, though obviously with no communications to the outside world, including firmware updates.
swissguest
Noobie

Post by swissguest »

Thanx, Coulomb, that's helpful. I don't know how to use the quote function, so I'll do it in my own (pedestrian) way:

You write: "Actually, the instruction is to make sure that you exit Watchpower properly." That's quite correct, but step 7 also mentions to open Watchpower to restore the defaults. I'm not sure ICC can do that?

I've now seen the updated instructions, noted for next time!

I think I understand the cabling that you propose, I guess the problem is that I never received an RJ45-D9 cable with the inverter (took over from my daughter when she moved overseas, my guess is that cable was long gone, would have been much clearer if I had seen it!). Am I assuming correctly that that would have been an RJ45-D9 female cable? That would make sense to connect to the RS232 (D9 male)-USB cable that is depicted in the instructions and which I ordered.
I found an image in the 'communications protocol' (attached), is that the one?
But, do I understand correctly that if I buy such a cable that I will likely have to change the pinout on the RJ45 side (I have connectors and a crimping tool for that)? I saw mentioned that this is not a standard cable?
Since I need to buy a new cable anyway, I also found a so-called 'console' cable on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AF ... UTF8&psc=1), could this work?

You write "Sadly, I suspect that it will be the transformer that has melted" and from what I can see, there is indeed a component on the comms board, approximately 1cm cube, that seems to have melted, something oozing out. Just to make sure: the transformer you refer to is on the comms board, I hope, and not somewhere else in the machine (which is still operating fine)?

Sorry to ask the dumb questions, but I'm still a newbie here. Give me an automatic transmission and I'll rebuild it in my sleep, but I'm quite new with this electronic stuff!
Attachments
Voltronic RJ45-RS232 cable.png
Voltronic RJ45-RS232 cable.png (39.64 KiB) Viewed 12395 times
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

swissguest wrote: Sun, 23 May 2021, 01:23 I don't know how to use the quote function, so I'll do it in my own (pedestrian) way
Just highlight the text to be quoted, and use the button. The whole post starts out quoted, though, so you have to do a little manual editing. It doesn't take long to get used to.
step 7 also mentions to open Watchpower to restore the defaults. I'm not sure ICC can do that?
Ah. That's really optional; I usually don't bother unless it's obvious that it's needed. I don't know about ICC.
Am I assuming correctly that that would have been an RJ45-D9 female cable?
Yes.
I found an image in the 'communications protocol' (attached), is that the one?
Yes. Also in the "Lost it? Pinout here." from the firmware upload post.
But, do I understand correctly that if I buy such a cable that I will likely have to change the pinout on the RJ45 side (I have connectors and a crimping tool for that)? I saw mentioned that this is not a standard cable?
Yes, you almost certainly can't buy one off the shelf with the correct pinout. Since you have a crimping tool for the RJ-45 end, it would be simplest for you to get any sort of standard cable with a D9 female at one end, cut off the other end, and crimp those three wires into the RJ-45 end. Use a multimeter to find out what colour wires connect to the required pins on the female end; there is no colour code standard for this sort of cable.
Since I need to buy a new cable anyway, I also found a so-called 'console' cable on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AF ... UTF8&psc=1), could this work?
Since that's not designed for use with these inverters, it's 99.9% certain that it won't work.
You write "Sadly, I suspect that it will be the transformer that has melted" and from what I can see, there is indeed a component on the comms board, approximately 1cm cube, that seems to have melted, something oozing out.
Yes, that sounds right, especially if it has (had? :shock: ) yellow insulation tape.
Just to make sure: the transformer you refer to is on the comms board, I hope, and not somewhere else in the machine...?
Yes.
Give me an automatic transmission and I'll rebuild it in my sleep...
Automatic transmisson? What's that? Something from the 1900s perhaps? ;) Pardon my digging; we've recently become an all-EV family.
swissguest
Noobie

Post by swissguest »

Txs, Coulomb, that should sort me out.
Yes, that sounds right, especially if it has (had? :shock: ) yellow insulation tape.
Yellow is the color...
Automatic transmission? What's that? Something from the 1900s perhaps? ;) Pardon my digging; we've recently become an all-EV family.
I'm jealous of that, I'd like to, but in ZA not currently feasible, certainly not if more than one charge away from home! Else I'd love to build a VW Kombi EV and a Boxster EV for my wife! I saw the EV Miata on Weber's posts, that must be quite exciting with loads of instant torque ...
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

@Coulomb

Can You please indentify inverters on pictures and are they compatible to put them together in parallel mode?

Thank You and best regards

T
Attachments
inverter 01.jpg
inverter 01.jpg (170.81 KiB) Viewed 12367 times
invereter 02.jpg
invereter 02.jpg (171.76 KiB) Viewed 12367 times
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

I would say no as one is a high voltage MPPT and the other a low voltage MPPT
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

paulvk wrote: Mon, 24 May 2021, 07:36 I would say no as one is a high voltage MPPT and the other a low voltage MPPT
Thank you...
Would I benefit anything if I replace 3pcs 4kW with 3pcs 5kW models?
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

paulvk wrote: Mon, 24 May 2021, 07:36 I would say no as one is a high voltage MPPT and the other a low voltage MPPT
Although, If they have separate PV array I do not see any reason why they could not be connected and share battery bank and power load. But I am not an expert...
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

daimyo wrote: Mon, 24 May 2021, 07:01 Can You please indentify inverters on pictures

The first is a PIP-4048MS (old model, 60A max MPPT).

The second is a PIP-5048MG (Axpert MKS II).
and are they compatible to put them together in parallel mode?
No. Very different firmware, different PV requirements. They can of course be run side by side off the same battery, same AC-in, separate loads.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

daimyo wrote: Mon, 24 May 2021, 07:45 Would I benefit anything if I replace 3pcs 4kW with 3pcs 5kW models?
I assume by 4kW models, you mean the 4kW/5kVA models (PF0.8). I think that there are models that are 4kW/4kVA (PF1).

You gain the ability to power some loads, if your battery can provide the required power. For example, with 3 4kW models paralleled and an EV drawing 7 kW, you would have 5kW or 8kVA available for other loads. With the 3 5kW models in parallel, you have 8kW or 8kVA available for other loads. But a 50V battery capable of over 15kW is large: well over 300A.

If your loads are mostly inductive, such as motors, then you would gain very little.
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 25 May 2021, 07:26
daimyo wrote: Mon, 24 May 2021, 07:01 Can You please indentify inverters on pictures

The first is a PIP-4048MS (old model, 60A max MPPT).

The second is a PIP-5048MG (Axpert MKS II).
and are they compatible to put them together in parallel mode?
No. Very different firmware, different PV requirements. They can of course be run side by side off the same battery, same AC-in, separate loads.
OK, thank You, now that is clear. ;)
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 25 May 2021, 07:44
daimyo wrote: Mon, 24 May 2021, 07:45 Would I benefit anything if I replace 3pcs 4kW with 3pcs 5kW models?
I assume by 4kW models, you mean the 4kW/5kVA models (PF0.8). I think that there are models that are 4kW/4kVA (PF1).

You gain the ability to power some loads, if your battery can provide the required power. For example, with 3 4kW models paralleled and an EV drawing 7 kW, you would have 5kW or 8kVA available for other loads. With the 3 5kW models in parallel, you have 8kW or 8kVA available for other loads. But a 50V battery capable of over 15kW is large: well over 300A.

If your loads are mostly inductive, such as motors, then you would gain very little.
Yes I mean if I replace those from the pictures.

I have opportunity to buy 3pcs secondhand 5048 for about 600 Euro, I think that is OK price. :D

Maybe I buy them and wait to buy EV.

Thank you for reply.

Best regrads
Aneantisor
Noobie

Post by Aneantisor »

Hello everybody,
I've started into solar a little less than 2 month ago.
I'm from france and like inverter is pretty critical, i've not ordered it from aliexpress, but from a french website (assuming it was more serious...).
The inverter is working, but, it's a fu***** clone... witch is in 52.30 version (SCC is 4.12). SW serial : 55355535553555...
I've asked for a return because it was counterfeit, but they just said .... NO !
So, now i'm locked with 2 of this materials...(ordered one for my father at the same times)
I tried to update it, but the inverter only shutted off, and the update stucked at 0%. Then i've stopped the procedure, restarted inverter and everything restarted fine.
Comms board looks ok, it work perfectly with an arduino/mysensors network.

I read a lot this forum, i'm pretty skilled at hardware/software electronic. only i don't work a lot with ti microcontroller.
Do you (Coulomb) think i'll can replace the bootloader of the controller board ? Or i need some new blank MCU ? (because of the password protected memory).

Thank you in advance, you've done an incredible job at this moment.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Aneantisor wrote: Tue, 25 May 2021, 17:52 Hello everybody,
Welcome to the forum.
The inverter is working, but, it's a f***** clone... whitch is in 52.30 version (SCC is 4.12). SW serial : 55355535553555...
Wow. 52.30 is really old firmware.
I tried to update it, but the inverter only shutted off, and the update stucked at 0%. Then i've stopped the procedure, restarted inverter and everything restarted fine.
So presumably: no bootloader.
Do you (Coulomb) think I can replace the bootloader of the controller board ?
It can and has been done, once by Weber and I (though I can't remember doing it, and can't find any files related to what we did), and once by a gentleman in South Africa with my help. Thanks to his efforts, it should now be fair bit easier for anyone else. But you'll need a heap of help from me, and some moderately priced hardware. If the following photo doesn't scare the pants off you, then with your experience, you can do it too:

XDS100V3 programming sm.jpg
XDS100V3 programming sm.jpg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 12501 times
Or i need some new blank MCU ? (because of the password protected memory).
No, a blank processor probably won't actually help, and is a pain to solder, and we have worked around the password issue. Actually, the clone makers may have left off the password, or they may have used a different one. So maybe a new processor will be needed after all. This has also been done before. Non trivial, but doable. But let's try reprogramming the existing DSP first.

So your mission, should you choose to accept it (i.e. go ahead with the reprogramming of the bootloader), is to find an XDS100 (V1, V2 or V3 it doesn't matter), like the one in the photo above. It was bought from Ali Express or similar. It has to have the 16-pin header at the end of a short ribbon cable, possibly with pin 6 plugged (it will be missing from CN7 of the processor control board, or it should be). Perhaps first verify that your control board looks like the one in this post, and has a 16-pin header where I have the the ribbon cable plugged in.
Aneantisor
Noobie

Post by Aneantisor »

That's a lots of good news, your answer is above my hope.
Picture doesn't afraid me at all, i've done soldering wires on the PCB of a brand new heat pump, just in the way to hack the serial coms.
I've ordered an XDS110 from aliexpress. i've checked that it is the replacment version of xds100.
i'm waiting for it, and keep you know when i'm ready for surgery.
And if needed, i'll order a pair of mcu, i've all the tools/skills needed to easily desolder/resolder it.
swissguest
Noobie

Post by swissguest »

I found that Mustek carries stock of the comms board of the 5kVa inverter. Taking out the old board was easy, hopefully putting in the new one will be as well. The price is a reasonable R230, so that should be good news for all of you in ZA with s comms board problem!