PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by coulomb »

arnolde73 wrote: Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 20:47 I just tried flashing the upgrade (dsp_BC1_73.00d) ... used a Win7 PC with a PL2303 USB-to-Serial adapter
That could be the problem. Perhaps try another; the one from Jaycar (Australia and New Zealand) is known to work. [ Edit: It's since been established that the known-good Jaycar adapter also uses a PL2303 chip, so it's likely NOT to be the problem. ]
after about 5 seconds the inverter clicked once, output seems to go off although it still displays 230V output, and stopped blinking green (I had also disconnected solar and removed the output load, but left the inverter power switch on),
So far everything is perfectly normal. After that click, the normal software isn't running, so the LCD doesn't update at all. It will just freeze with whatever it was displaying before. The bootstrap loader has taken control.
then after another 20 seconds or so the updater says "cannot connect to COM port!", and the inverter is stuck then and will not react to powering off, I had to disconnect the battery to get it back to running.
So something seems to be going wrong after the initial handshake.
After the first time I hadnt realized the inverter was frozen and I hooked up a terminal to the serial port and started receiving a crazy character (looks like a cursor-sized checkerboard pattern) about every second (possibly wrong baudrate, although terminal was set to 2400). No reaction to any keyboard input.
The command to initiate firmware updating is at 2400 bps, as are all commands and responses. However, the flash updating takes place at 9600 bps. It looks like your communications is marginal somehow, and fails at 9600 bps when it works fine at 2400 bps. After the PC program aborted the firmware update, the inverter must have been still attempting to communicate at 9600 bps. Hence the checkerboard pattern and lack of response. I think it would revert to normal operation, perhaps after a long timeout, but I'm not sure about this.
Any ideas? My current firmware U1 is 72.60 and interestingly now I also get a U2=04.10 (didnt get that when I tried last week).
You will only get a U2 (SCC firmware version number) display if PV is connected and panels are producing power. So perhaps last week was at night, or the solar panels were isolated.
My label says Effekta, AX-M 5000-48
Solar Charge 80A, Max open circuit 145V
That sounds fine.

My first suggestion is trying another USB to serial adapter. Id' say there is a 90% certainty that this will be the problem.

If that doesn't work, there is a chance that your communications board performing well enough for firmware updating. Some boards do seem to be better than others at 9600 bps, taking longer to complete firmware updates due to resending of bad packets. Assuming you don't have another machine to swap communications boards with, you'd have to order one from your supplier. If you're keen, you could attempt to replace the opto isolators on the communications board, though there is no guarantee that this would fix the problem.

[ Edit: "isn't up to" -> "performing well enough for" ]
[ Edit: Added sentence starting with "After the PC program aborted". ]
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
arnolde73
Noobie

Post by arnolde73 »

Thank you so much! It sure sounds plausible that the speed change is causing an interruption.

My USB adapter is one of the better ones known to work with Linux (even Android OTG which is why I got it in the frist place, meaning to write an Android app to constantly display COMPLETE status of the inverter, mounted on the wall). Unfortunately the Jaycar site doesnt tell which chip it uses (there are a few very common ones like PL2102 or CH340, and a few ones with less support) and I'd like to avoid ordering one from Australia to Europe just on a hunch, do you happen to know which chip it uses so I can look for a European supplier?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

arnolde73 wrote: Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 22:48 ... do you happen to know which chip it uses so I can look for a European supplier?
It turns out it's a PL2303 as well. I used the Windows PL2303 CheckChipVersion tool program from this page, [ Edit June 2023: irritatingly, these links no longer work, and you have to log in to do anything. ] and produced this:

Jaycar Prolific test.png
Jaycar Prolific test.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 14671 times
It would be interesting to see what it says about your PL2303.

But it seems more likely to me, realising that the same chip is involved, that your RS232 to serial adapter is not the problem. Unless it is a fake one, and you're using a special driver; see my discussion about this.

Edit: for completeness, I fired up my old XP machine and did the same test with the older prolific unit, which looks identical from the outside. It said "No PL2303 chip".
[ Edit: "PL2302 as well" -> "PL2303 as well" ]
arnolde73
Noobie

Post by arnolde73 »

coulomb wrote: Sun, 25 Nov 2018, 08:26 I used the Windows PL2303 CheckChipVersion tool program from this page, and produced this:
Thank you, I just tested with that program and it reports the exact same thing as your screenshot.

Before I modify the comm board or order another one (which might not work either), do you think it would be worth a try connecting the TTL side of the USB adapter (after checking that it's 5V and not 3.3V) directly to the TTL serial lines on the inverter (6-pin connector on the left edge of the comms board)?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

arnolde73 wrote: Sun, 25 Nov 2018, 21:56 I just tested with that program and it reports the exact same thing as your screenshot.
Ok, so that pretty much rules out the USB to serial interface as being the problem, unless there are some peripheral parts not up to standard, and that seems unlikely.
Before I modify the comm board or order another one (which might not work either), do you think it would be worth a try connecting the TTL side of the USB adapter (after checking that it's 5V and not 3.3V) directly to the TTL serial lines on the inverter (6-pin connector on the left edge of the comms board)?
Perhaps, if you have access to the TTL side of the USB adapter. It looks like the inverter connections would be 5 V TTL high=idle, see the partial schematic trace of the communications board. Be very careful with isolation, as you are bypassing the isolation of the opto-couplers. A laptop not plugged in for charging should be OK.

The other thing would be to vary the resistances associated with the RC networks on the communications board: R15 for the RS232 to inverter direction, and I don't see one for the other direction (more tracing may be required).
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

@arnolde73 and @coulomb,
I have moved your recent discussion of AGM battery problems to a new thread here.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

We have just bumped patched firmware 73.00d from beta to release. I note that we will be posting the beta version of 73.00e (with KettleKomp™) in the next few hours.

It seems we failed to announce when we bumped patched firmware 72.20c from beta to release three weeks ago. Sorry about that.

Many thanks to all who tested the beta versions.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Release Version of Patched Firmware 73.00e for some PF0.8 models (introducing KettleKomp™)

[Edit: On 4-Jan-2019 we replaced beta 73.00e here, with release 73.00e. The only change was the first letter of the version number (from B to L). This was after 1 month and 26 downloads of the LFP version and 30 downloads of the Lead aCid/Lithium Cobalt version, with zero bug reports.]

This is the fifth version of our patched firmware based on factory firmware version 73.00 for the PIP-4048MS and equivalents. This patched firmware has all the same patches as 73.00d and earlier patched firmwares, including Dynamic Charge and Load Control and AussieView™. This includes fixing the infamous premature float bugs.

In addition, 73.00e adds kettle compensation, or KettleKomp™ for short. This prevents a heavy load like a kettle from causing the inverter to cut off, or switch back to the grid prematurely, due to momentary low battery voltage, when the battery state of charge is not low. It also improves the crude state-of-charge reading provided by the inverter. The following photos will make more sense after you read the Kettle Compensation section of the AussieView and KettleKomp manual.

The following image shows both true and compensated battery voltage (with the flashing "k"), while boiling the kettle.

The following image shows how we piggy-backed the setting of compensation strength on the cut-off voltage setting.

Note: This firmware is only compatible with the 48 V models that have a single low-voltage MPPT and a power factor of 0.8 (4 kW / 5 kVA). i.e. the older PIP-4048MS or Axpert MKS 5K-48 that is no longer manufactured, or their equivalent. It is not compatible with those having dual or triple MPPTs or a power factor of 1.0 (5 kW / 5 kVA), or a maximum PV array open circuit voltage greater than 145 V DC. It is not compatible with those having a 64 V maximum charge voltage option. It is not compatible with grid-feed or hybrid models such as EnerSolar or InfiniSolar. Parallel or phased machines must all run the same patched firmware version.

WARNING!!

Flashing this firmware to an incompatible machine (especially one that comes with main firmware version 71.XX) will likely brick the inverter!

For some combinations of firmware, the reflash tool will not prevent this.

Often, there is no reversing this situation. You have been warned!

For lithium ferrous phosphate (LFP)† (16S or 15S)
dsp_LF1_73.00e.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 1013 times

For lead acid (24S), lithium cobalt-blends (LCO, NMC, NCM, NCA) (14S), and lithium titanate (LTO) (21S or 20S)
dsp_LC1_73.00e.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 888 times

See these Firmware upload instructions.

It should go without saying that you use this at your own risk. Please report any problems to this thread.

† "Lithium ferrous phosphate" and "LFP" are the preferred name and abbreviation for what is sometimes called lithium iron phosphate or LiFePO₄.

[ Edited Coulomb: added big red warning about flashing incompatible hardware. ]
brucetheloon
Noobie

Post by brucetheloon »

Good day everyone. New member from South Africa here, installed a PIP-5048MS with the 60A solar charger limit (RCT MKS-5000-58 model number on the label) in 2014 with 8 102AH AGM batteries in 4 x 2 array for 48V 204AH, no solar panels yet.

With the resumption of load-shedding in this part of the world, I've been investigating adding solar to the mix and have been poking around my inverter unit a bit. Two things I've noticed that I'm running 52.30 firmware version and that there is no U2 secondary CPU firmware version appearing in the LCD parameters list if you Up/Down through the list. the U1 main one is there and it skips through straight back to the first item on a Down press.

Two questions thus arise, is it normal for the secondary CPU firmware version item to be missing like that or has something happened to the SCC hardware? Secondly, what DSP firmware can I go to, straight to 73.00d or am I restricted to older versions.

Label on the side of the machine.
inverter_label.jpg
inverter_label.jpg (107.97 KiB) Viewed 13955 times
Ksears
Noobie

Big problems with PIP4848 - R / S / T (3 Phase) - ZERO PV input

Post by Ksears »

Hi there,

since a few days there is no PV Input into my PIP 4048MS - 0volts and 0watts and 0amps....

my configuration:
3x pip 4048MS 5KVA 0.8PF with 6x 250W panels. (2 in a row )
6x pylontech us2000b plus. = 48V battery string.
for 7-9 months everthing works fine.

Now since two or three days no PV input voltage

things i've checked:
-> Use a Multimeter = up to 70V and 3 to 7 amps input by each string (measured on the pip "PV" Terminals). So i think with the pv panels everything is ok?!
-> Reset every device to factory settings and re entered all the values manual.

Any ideas?
PV input measeared by multimeter 70V and displayed on PIP = 0V why?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

brucetheloon wrote: Sun, 09 Dec 2018, 17:21 Good day everyone.

Welcome.
... , no solar panels yet.

Two questions thus arise, is it normal for the secondary CPU firmware version item to be missing like that
Yes, it's normal to not see the secondary CPU firmware version when you don't have panels connected; the solar charge controller only gets its power from the PV input.
Secondly, what DSP firmware can I go to, straight to 73.00d or am I restricted to older versions.
Yes, you can go straight to 73.00d. The only hassle is you will have the option to choose up to 140 A of total charge current, when your hardware isn't capable of it. Just ignore the 130 and 140 A options.

The patched firmware goes to some trouble to work with older SCC firmware, so you won't have to update the SCC firmware.
6mdx
Groupie

Post by 6mdx »

paulvk wrote: Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 05:56 Hello erland82
Remote monitoring is easy to do by using a RS232 to TCPIP HLK RM04 module
no programming knowledge required they are ready built just need a box and 5volts
I use them for my two systems that are 250Km apart so I can monitor both
from either location , settings can also be changed.
Would the temperature get that low where the units would be
they should be installed in fully protected area with good ventilation
they are not sealed against the environment
Batteries have problems at that low temperature.

Looking at your diagram the ML4860 has RS232 the HLK RM-04 has two ports for RS232
so you can monitor both with it.
If you get a HLK RM-04 now you can remotely monitor/control the ML4860 now
Also the HLK RM-04s can connect unit to unit creating RS232 > TCPIP -------- TCPIP > RS232 link

They are also have a wifi access point and router built in.
Hi paulvk, I ordered the HKL RM04, CAN SEE IT ON WIFI, BUT cant access due to password. No info with device re password. Any ideas?
Cheers
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

CrOhN wrote: Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 16:58 Whel, false alarm on my inverter problem.

Glad that's sorted.
What is the latest firmware i can use with my inverter? I'm on the 52.30 and 1.24SCC.
Same answer as for brucetheloon, you can run 73.00d, or if you're keen to beta test the very latest, 73.00e with KettleKomp™.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

CrOhN wrote: Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 16:58What is the latest firmware i can use with my inverter? I'm on the 52.30 and 1.24SCC.
The latest firmware can always be found via the Firmware section of the index, which is in the first post (first page) of this thread.
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

Here is the manual
https://www.prometec.net/wp-content/upl ... manual.pdf
admin/admin
also home page for router is 192.168.16.100/home.asp

It can be run off the power from PIP RJ8 jack
just needs a small switch mode power supply to get the 5V from the 15V
that is how I run my units
I have no problems changing settings on the PIPs using them
weber
Site Admin

Re: Big problems with PIP4848 - R / S / T (3 Phase) - ZERO PV input

Post by weber »

Ksears wrote: Sun, 09 Dec 2018, 18:17 Hi there,

since a few days there is no PV Input into my PIP 4048MS - 0volts and 0watts and 0amps....
things i've checked:
-> Use a Multimeter = up to 70V and 3 to 7 amps input by each string (measured on the pip "PV" Terminals). So i think with the pv panels everything is ok?!
-> Reset every device to factory settings and re entered all the values manual.

Any ideas?
PV input measeared by multimeter 70V and displayed on PIP = 0V why?
Hi Ksears. When you say that you measured, with multimeter, 3 to 7 amps input by each string, are you saying that your pv array is charging your battery via the inverter, but the inverter is merely not displaying the PV voltage, power or current? Or are you instead saying that you can measure short-circuit current from the array but it is not charging your battery via the inverter. Either way, it sounds like a problem with the SCC (Solar Charge Controller) inside your inverter.

Does the PV array icon show up on the LCD when there is sun on the PV array?
arnolde73
Noobie

Post by arnolde73 »

I have my ESP8266 logger running now, logging straight to my webserver (InfluxDB/grafana). When I get it fixed up a little nicer I will post some screenshots (if anyone's interested).

One thing puzzles me: I calculate the pvPower from pvCurrent and pvVoltage, and log+chart that, as well as the SCCpower reading. Today I noticed that the calculated power is (approximately) twice as high as the SCC reading. Any idea why?

(By the way, I've ditched my worn-out AGM batteries *sniff* and hooked up a Pylontech US2000B instead. Already much better, apparently the AGM's have only 10-20% capacity left. I will get at least one more hooked in parallel soon.)
6mdx
Groupie

Post by 6mdx »

weber wrote: Wed, 10 Oct 2018, 16:38 Release Version of Patched Firmware 72.20c for some PF1 models with the 64V option

[Edit1: On 12-Oct-2018 we replaced beta 72.20b here, with beta 72.20c that has a new load-control or go-to-standby command.]
[Edit2: On 11-Nov-2018 we replaced beta 72.20c here, with release 72.20c. The only change was the first letter of the version number (from B to L).]

This patched firmware fixes the premature-float bugs in the manufacturer's firmware for the PIP-5048MS, Axpert MKS 5K-48 (PF1 with 64V option) and equivalents. i.e. machines supplied with main firmware version 72.xx where xx ≤ 30. It also contains our Dynamic Current and Load Control (DCLC) and AussieView™ additions, and we have provided a version with our voltage and current threshold changes for LFP cells. i.e. It has the same functionality as 73.00c (PF0.8) except that in the LFP version, the minimum tail current to go from absorb to float has now been reduced from 5 A per machine
Hey guys been running the lpf version since the day of release, thankyou.
Have had no issues, but a question or two.

Regarding absobtion, what time period is desireable?

Regarding charging, I am not getting the charging I expected. I have 4.5kw of panels 3s3p per pair or strings (for total of 18 x 60 cell) but seldom see over 2.5kw going into the battery (have seen 53A charging for an hour two). 02 is set to 80A, and util charging is set to 10A

On another note are you planing to add the kettle mod to this release?

Cheers Robert.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

arnolde73 wrote: Thu, 13 Dec 2018, 22:07 One thing puzzles me: I calculate the pvPower from pvCurrent and pvVoltage, and log+chart that, as well as the SCCpower reading. Today I noticed that the calculated power is (approximately) twice as high as the SCC reading.
PV power is pvCurrent multiplied by battery voltage, not PV voltage. The reported "PV current" is battery-side current, not PV-side current as most users expect.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

6mdx wrote: Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 04:18 Hey guys been running the lpf version since the day of release, thankyou.
Have had no issues, but a question or two.

Regarding absobtion, what time period is desireable?

Regarding charging, I am not getting the charging I expected. I have 4.5kw of panels 3s3p per pair or strings (for total of 18 x 60 cell) but seldom see over 2.5kw going into the battery (have seen 53A charging for an hour two). 02 is set to 80A, and util charging is set to 10A

On another note are you planing to add the kettle mod to this release?

Cheers Robert.
Hi Robert. Thanks for letting us know that the LFP version of 72.20c is working for you.

Regarding absorb time. I think that with LFP cells it is best to use the "Aut" setting. This will go to float when the battery voltage is within 0.5 V of the absorb setting and the charge current (in whole amps) falls below either 3 amps or setting [02] divided by 12, whichever is greater. So in your case it would go to float when it fell below 6 amps, i.e. when it dropped to 5 amps (for 30 seconds).

Regarding your low charging current: What size is your battery, what make and model of cells, and what is your absorb voltage setting? I'm wondering if your absorb voltage is too low to overcome the battery internal resistance at more than 53 amps. There is a small chance that this could instead be due to a bug in our patched firmware 72.20c. This could be determined by reflashing with the original 72.20 and seeing if that particular problem goes away. But I think we would have heard from others by now if that was the case.

Yes, we are planning to put out a beta 72.20d as soon as possible, which will have the KettleKomp mod for the PIP-5048MS. The irony is, we originally wrote KettleKomp for the PIP-5048MS, back when Tom kindly loaned us his 5048s for testing. But in early testing, we loaded some bad code that meant the bootstrap loader never got called again, and so we could never load any more code—commonly referred to as "bricking it".

I immediately ordered a replacement control board from MPPSolar. That was on the 23rd of October. The ordering process was a nightmare. Sending photos of the board we wanted, and the serial number of the inverter, eventually sorted it out (or so we thought). Then there were problems with their online payment system. Tom was more than patient, but when, after 4 weeks, I queried the status of the order, and learned that they still hadn't shipped it, I ordered a whole new inverter to be delivered to Tom, on eBay (at least that works). So now I own a 5048MS. The control board finally arrived 4 days ago (after 7 weeks!), but the nightmare isn't over. The new board arrived with unfamiliar firmware (version 71.20) which is missing the equalisation settings, and the board has some different resistors and capacitors. So there have been more emails back and forth with MPPSolar, sending photos of the new and old boards and the inverter label. I'm still waiting for them to tell me what the story is. Maybe it's the wrong board, or maybe it just needs a firmware update.
6mdx
Groupie

Post by 6mdx »

weber wrote: Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 09:39 Hi Robert. Thanks for letting us know that the LFP version of 72.20c is working for you.

Regarding absorb time. I think that with LFP cells it is best to use the "Aut" setting. This will go to float when the battery voltage is within 0.5 V of the absorb setting and the charge current (in whole amps) falls below either 3 amps or setting [02] divided by 12, whichever is greater. So in your case it would go to float when it fell below 6 amps, i.e. when it dropped to 5 amps (for 30 seconds).
Runing aut
Regarding your low charging current: What size is your battery, what make and model of cells, and what is your absorb voltage setting?
Battery is 15s 180 aH CALB

Asorbtion setting is 52.5 V
Yes, we are planning to put out a beta 72.20d as soon as possible, which will have the KettleKomp mod for the PIP-5048MS.
Excellent
I immediately ordered a replacement control board ...
Bummer
I'm still waiting for them to tell me what the story is. Maybe it's the wrong board, or maybe it just needs a firmware update.
So frustrating
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

6mdx wrote: Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 16:12 Battery is 15s 180 aH CALB

Asorbtion setting is 52.5 V
That's plenty of absorb voltage for that battery, so the limited charge current is a mystery to me.
6mdx
Groupie

Post by 6mdx »

Weber thanks for the info and answers.

Ok well rather than reflash I have a new 5048ms waiting to be setup. So i will hook it up to the battery and panels tomorrow and check the charge current. Big issue will be waiting for sun.
erland82
Noobie

Post by erland82 »

Got my 5048MS last week, but it was slightly damaged in shipping.
https://imgur.com/a/5yhkboF

https://imgur.com/a/Ys43kn6

I have talked to Mpp, and they are waiting for a reply from DHL.
I haven't been able to test it yet, waiting for a 48v psu before I drag it up to the mountains.

https://imgur.com/DqfCoIT

Here is my PIP-heatbox, it is almost complete.

[ Edited Coulomb: fixed imgur images. @erland82 , please see this post. ]
Tesla Model X100D 2017
Nissan Qashqai+2 4wd 2013
Mazda 323 GTX 4wd 1990
Peugeot 205 1,9 Gti 1988 (restoration not complete)
6mdx
Groupie

Post by 6mdx »

Weber, I swapped the inverters over. The original factor firmware, instantly produced more than 10 amps extra charge (43A vs 33 A) than the 72.20c in the other inverter. Have seen peak currenr around 76A from the factory version. Yet never seen over 53 A from 72.20c
Go figure.

More to think about
Cheers Robert
Last edited by 6mdx on Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.