PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by coulomb »

Aneantisor wrote: Thu, 27 May 2021, 15:46 That's a lots of good news, your answer is above my hope.
Arrgh! I spoke too soon. @Aneantisor, please old off on any purchases for now; it turns out what while the bootstrap loader was successfully flash written to the new processor, it didn't actually allow another firmware to be loaded. So there must be a glitch in how I acquired the bootloader, causing it to crash when you attempt to load a new firmware.

I have some ideas on what to do next, but it will take me a few days at least, and it needs to be verified.

So sorry to dash your hope (hopefully, only temporarily).
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Aneantisor
Noobie

Post by Aneantisor »

Hummm, anyway, i keep ordering the xds110. it's only 20€ and then i'll have a JTAG.
As another way to think, is the bootloader absolutely needed as long as i'll have a JTAG programmer ?
Maybe i can write the firmware without the bootloader ?
For sure, it's a lot less easy for futures updates, but updates are maybe not necessary. there is already a big jump between 52.30 and 73.00e
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Aneantisor wrote: Sat, 29 May 2021, 01:04 As another way to think, is the bootloader absolutely needed as long as i'll have a JTAG programmer ?
Maybe i can write the firmware without the bootloader ?
I didn't think of that, but it's true. It's actually quicker doing the actual flash programming of firmware with JTAG, a few seconds versus 8 minutes, once everything is set up.

And there will likely never be another factory firmware for PF0.8 models, and a newer patched firmware is unlikely. The only likely change would be from LC to LFP flavours, or possibly vice versa.
Aneantisor
Noobie

Post by Aneantisor »

Hello,
Received xds110 today, i'm installing CCS right now.
Then, i'm waiting for your instruction, i'll need the pinout for 5v, 12v(reset) and gnd.
thank you
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Great timing. Just yesterday I managed to extract the bootloader from the Axpert King (PIP-MK) that I have here for experimentation. I used a new technique for extracting the password, allowing me to extract the bootloader in one quick hit with JTAG.

I learned a few things. It seems that they use different passwords for different models, or possibly change them over time. Also, the bootloader was fairly different from the one we extracted a year or two ago from a different model. It looks like you have to match the bootloader with the reflash tool. That's one of those things that seems obvious in retrospect.

The good news is that this means that there is possibly nothing wrong with the bootloader that I have, I might just have to find the right reflash tool to use with it, possibly modifying the main firmware slightly to use the matching command.

Or maybe you could use the really old bootloader that I extracted from an early machine that had no password. It came with main firmware 52.02, not far off what you have now.

So one way or another, I can probably get you working.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Aneantisor wrote: Mon, 07 Jun 2021, 21:04 I'll need the pinout for 5v, 12v(reset) and gnd.
Your control board will probably look a little different, but the power pinouts should be the same. Check that pins 8-11 connect together on the top of the board, to make sure you're oriented correctly.

Control Board power pins.jpg
Control Board power pins.jpg (342.1 KiB) Viewed 6431 times
You will need to find some 2.54 mm spacing female connectors. 4 pins would be the bare minimum; I'd use at least 6 pins (pins 10-15 inclusive): 2 for GND, 2 for +12 V (only need to use 1 pin as the current is very low), and 2 for +5 V. 8 pins would be ideal (3 each for GND and +5V); 16 pins means you are less likely to get the position of the connector wrong.

See this post for more details.
Aneantisor
Noobie

Post by Aneantisor »

hi, i've done the connector, lightly tried xds110, but without a DSP connected CCS reported some issue... hope this is because there was no DSP connected.
you spoke about extracting the password, i hope you can explain how to.
I'll have to write some file too.
I'll need a hex file ? or i need all the source ? (both would be great, i would love to look how it is done).
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Aneantisor wrote: Wed, 09 Jun 2021, 16:12 hi, i've done the connector, lightly tried xds110, but without a DSP connected CCS reported some issue... hope this is because there was no DSP connected.
Yes, without a DSP, it won't connect, so you won't get far.
you spoke about extracting the password, i hope you can explain how to.
I'm hoping that since it's a clone, you won't need a password.
I'll have to write some file too.
Hopefully, I'll be able to provide what you need.
I'll need a hex file ?
Believe it or not, an assembly language file consisting almost entirely of ".word" pseudo-ops. Basically, many define-word-constant statements.
or i need all the source ?
Real men don't need source code ;)
Actually, source code would be nice, but it can't practically be obtained, at least with current technology.

Bug me by private message if I forget and/or take too long.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Post by @GioArca67 moved here.
GioArca67
Noobie

Post by GioArca67 »

Hi there.
Up to Australian regulations which Residual Circuit Breaker do you choose for a 16A socket on the out line of this inverter?
Is it allowed a residual current greater then 30mA?
The manufacturer suggested 100mA or more. Have you tried a regular 30mA? Are there unexpected trips?
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

GioArca67 wrote: Wed, 16 Jun 2021, 00:29 Have you tried a regular 30mA? Are there unexpected trips?
I have 30mA on my inverters outputs nearly 7 years now no problems and have a very sensitive
10mA safety extension cable for use with power tools (was a work requirement) which also has had no problems.
The inputs are a different matter if the neutral grounding relay is not fast enough to remove the
ground on the neutral at the output the Residual Circuit Breaker at the input from the grid
can trip when the grid is passed through to loads.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

GioArca67 wrote: Wed, 16 Jun 2021, 00:29 The manufacturer suggested 100mA or more.
? Maybe if you have an RCD on the input to the inverter. The inverter has many small capacitors to earth to suppress switching noise, as does all equipment with high frequency switching devices that I've ever come across. These can cause nuisance tripping on any RCDs installed before the inverter (between AC-in and the power source), but not any after the inverter (between AC-out and loads).
Have you tried a regular 30mA? Are there unexpected trips?
Mine, and I'm sure many others, have been running on standard 30 mA RCDs (in my case, the same one that was installed before the inverter took over all GPOs and lights), working for years with no nuisance trips.
GioArca67
Noobie

Post by GioArca67 »

[ Moderator's note: a set of posts titled "IGrid VE II 5.5kW" starting 07/July/2021 was moved here, because the subject inverter is an on-grid (grid interactive) model. ]

Thanks for sharing your experience.
We also have installed 30mA RCDs on the output and we have no problems of unexpected trips. Our system is stand alone, no grid at all.
Aneantisor
Noobie

Post by Aneantisor »

Hello everybody.
I'm back, and sadly, this morning, the SCC started to work wierdly. it overvolt up to 61V and then stop charging the battery.
Also, before stopping charging, there was a really nice sun, without any cloud, and the power was quiet low. like half the rated power.
then, i have restarted solar input power, the inverter tried to charge the battery, and the PV voltage dropped to exactly the battery voltage.
It means that the buck converter is shorted.
So i opened the cover, and found a loose connection at P4(BLACK). and there was a lead drop touching the left mosfet driver (IR2011S). it MAYBE did a short between P4(BLACK) and pin 8 of IR2011S.

I opened a dispute with the dealer. but i don't hope a lot from them.

Then, i will try to repair it, i didn't find the schematic of the scc in this forum. but, i will try to make it for you.
It is a clone, but surprisingly, the component looks pretty good, the DC bus capacitor are 3300uF 80V.

For now, i didn't desold anything, tried to measure the mosfet which are IRFB4115. flywheel diode are V30200C.
Everything looks good for now.

Did someone had any trouble with the SCC ?
Maybe someone could give me a starting point on where to look for.

PS : SCC keep talking to DSP as i got PV voltage on screen, relay keep working, this is only the buck stage that is faulty.
josse
Noobie

Post by josse »

Hi,

question according FW...
I have 2 units 4048MS parallel, PF0.8, and I after several years (with Kettle-copensation and sleeping function of course), I need more power. Somewhere in this thread I saw (and I can't found this message now) that you are testing FW PF1.0 on PF0.8 units (Weber? or Coulomb?). I need opposite upgrade. So is this true? Can I buy new 5048MS PF1.0 and flash into modified 4048MS 73.00e FW?

Parallel Compatibility of Various Firmware Versions I know, but I haven't bought a new unit yet ...

Thanks
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

josse wrote: Fri, 13 Aug 2021, 18:23 I have 2 units 4048MS parallel, PF0.8, and I after several years (with Kettle-compensation and sleeping function of course), I need more power. Somewhere in this thread I saw (and I can't found this message now) that you are testing FW PF1.0 on PF0.8 units.
It might well have been in the PowerForum.
I need opposite upgrade. So is this true? Can I buy new 5048MS PF1.0 and flash into [ it the ] modified 4048MS 73.00e FW?
Interesting question. I can't think why not. You will lose 1000 W of output real power and the equalisation settings, and a few minor firmware fixes, of course. But you don't have them now, so you can't really miss them :?

You'd also have to be triple-sure that you're getting a 58.4 V model. If it comes with firmware 72.XX, you need to take it back. You need the model that comes with 74.XX.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

A post by @wattmatters was moved here: Clone PIP-4048HS trips RCD.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Firmware Upload Instructions

These instructions apply only to PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS models (also known as Axpert MKS 5K-48 and several other names). For models with a removable display, please see the upload instructions for models with a removable or round display.

Download the appropriate firmware zip file, via the index page or elsewhere. Unzip it using the Windows File Manager "Extract All..." context menu item (right click menu) and follow the prompts to extract it to a new folder. The file name the reflash tool looks for is fixed, it's always "dsp.hex" in the same folder as the reflash tool. In patched firmware zip files, dsp.hex is already a copy of the patched firmware.

You will need a Windows computer and a USB-to-RS232-serial (DB9 male) adapter like the one below, or a very old computer with a real RS232 (DB9) serial port.

Do NOT get a direct to RJ-45 adapter, as it will have the wrong pinout:
Direct to RS-232 adapter.jpg
Direct to RS-232 adapter.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

Some serial adapters (or possibly the combination of serial adapter and Windows version) seem to be more suitable than others. The known-good USB to serial adapters use a PL2303 chip; see this post for details. South African readers: please see this post or this post for sources. There is an issue with counterfeit USB chips; these can prevent firmware updates from starting (see this post).

Even if the inverter has a USB type-B (not micro) port, you can't use that for programming. That's only for monitoring programs. Exception: some lower power models only have a USB type-B port (no RJ45 port). For those models the Windows reflash tool is different and is able to talk to the USB port. For those models, a USB-to-RS232-serial adapter is not used, and a USB-A-to-USB-B cable, as you would use for a printer, is used instead.

Connect the USB-to-RS232-serial adapter to the RS232-serial-to-RJ45 cable that came with your inverter. (Lost it? Pinout here.) DO NOT USE AN ETHERNET (RJ-45 to RJ-45 straight through) CABLE!

Connect the RJ45 end to your inverter and the USB end to your computer. If you get a notification from your computer similar to "a device is undergoing additional setup", wait until it says something like "your device is ready for use".

Power up your inverter charger by connecting the battery, which should not be nearly empty. Turn on the on/off switch on the bottom of the inverter. Make sure that your computer is powered by something other than the inverter you're updating, as that will go off during the reflash process. Disconnect all loads, and disconnect solar panels (unless you are updating the SCC firmware, which we don't recommend).

Make sure you are not running any software that could be using the serial port, in particular, exit the WatchPower application. Don't just close the application; use the right mouse button on the WatchPower system tray icon, usually at the bottom right of your computer screen:

In the folder you extracted from the zip file, double click on the ReflashTool_Xseries.exe icon. If you get a box with something like "The app you're trying to run isn't a verified app from the Store", click Run anyway. This should bring up the small reflash application. If necessary, change the serial port selection to the one that connects to your inverter. This may require some trial and error.

Click on the Update button, and answer Yes to "Are you sure". Nothing will appear to happen for 10-20 seconds, so don't panic. Eventually, new text should start appearing in the box under the progress bar, saying that erasing has been successful and so on. It will take some 8 minutes to complete the flash programming. At the end, just click OK and exit the reflash application.

If you get an error to do with the serial port (e.g. invalid serial port, or the serial port doesn't appear in the drop down list), it's probably because you have something running that is keeping the serial port in use. Double check that you have exited WatchPower properly and any terminal emulation programs like TeraTerm. You may need to change the com port used by the USB to serial adapter to be named one of COM1 through COM9 for the reflash tool to see it (Device Manager, Ports, Properties, Advanced; step by step guide here if you need it). Merely choosing another USB socket on your computer might work. On my laptop, the two most convenient USB ports come up as COM10 (not usable) and COM6 (usable). After changing ports, restart the reflash tool; it doesn't refresh its list of available COM ports. Note that most laptops have a built-in Bluetooth COM port, which the reflash tool will usually pick by default; this will not be your USB to serial port.

The standard instructions say you should revert all the settings to standard, then change them to suit your needs. As long as you had been running a recent firmware (year 2015 or later), this should not be necessary. But if you were running an earlier firmware, or if the settings seem strange after the update, use WatchPower to reset to default settings, then change them to suit your needs.

The instructions say to turn off the inverter after the firmware update. This doesn't seem to be necessary.

If something goes wrong, see the If you think your inverter is bricked post.

Using Watchpower

WatchPower comes for free and allows basic interaction with the inverter(s). However, many find that it does not meet all their needs. In this case, consider some of the many other monitoring programs available. A few of them are referenced from the index at the start of this thread.

WatchPower is not aware of the changes to the range of the battery low cutoff voltage and the back to utility voltage parameters. You will not be able to change these values with WatchPower outside their original range. Instead, you can use the LCD buttons, or any software that changes these settings via the PSDV or PBCV commands.

SCC updating

Updating the Solar Charge Controller (SCC) firmware is no longer needed or recommended.

[ Edit: This post replaces a very old one that was increasingly obsolete. ]
hercio
Noobie

Post by hercio »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forum, although I've been reading it for a long time (thank you very much for the tons of useful information posted here, special thanks to @coulomb and @weber for their impressive work in the inverters "guts").

I have in my house a MPP Solar PIP-4048MS inverter with its original 72.60 firmware and hardware (no upgraded caps or mosfets), an old 48V 200Ah AGM battery bank, and no PV yet (but there will be 15 x 270W on my roof soon, luckily before next austral summer). The PIP serial number starts 92931607.... so I guess it was manufacturated in 2016 (please let me know how to upload some pictures and I'll do it).

I'm considering to replace my AGM battery bank with two Pylontech UP5000 modules (4800Wh each). I'd read a link in the MPP Solar site about connecting Pylontech US3000 batteries to inverters without BMS (https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/pylontech/); that link was posted by @coulomb in Power Forum on November 7th 2018.

My questions are:
1- Can be the PIP-4048MS connected to a Pylontech UP5000 or US3000 battery bank (two or more modules) without a BMS in the PIP, just by settings the cutoff/bulk/float/back-to-grid voltages to the values indicated in the MPP Solar link? There are no specific information in the link nor in the pdf linked regarding to the PIP-4048MS pf 0.8, but the voltage values seems to be the same for others inverters.
2- If the answer to 1- is "yes": It will be necessary to upgrade the PIP firmware to dsp_LF1_73.00e?
3- If the answer to 1- is "no": Why?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you!
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

hercio wrote: Wed, 13 Oct 2021, 06:04 This is my first post in the forum
Welcome.
The PIP serial number starts 92931607.... so I guess it was manufactured in 2016
Yes, some time in July (month 07).
(please let me know how to upload some pictures and I'll do it).
Now that you've made your first post, you can just drag an image file to the edit window using a file explorer.
1- Can be the PIP-4048MS connected to a Pylontech UP5000 or US3000 battery bank (two or more modules) without a BMS in the PIP, just by settings the cutoff/bulk/float/back-to-grid voltages to the values indicated in the MPP Solar link?
Yes, but don't use Pylontech's values; the voltages are far too high. Use 52.5 V and 51.8 V for absorb/bulk and float voltage settings. Those values will increase longevity, and prevent the inevitable battery voltage overshoots from causing the battery to disconnect in panic.

You don't get everything this way; there is no protection for a single cell going over- or under- voltage, for example. But as long as the cells stay in balance, that is usually not a problem.
There are no specific information in the link nor in the pdf linked regarding to the PIP-4048MS pf 0.8, but the voltage values seems to be the same for others inverters.
All models use the same voltage settings.
2- If the answer to 1- is "yes": It will be necessary to upgrade the PIP firmware to dsp_LF1_73.00e?
It's not strictly necessary, but desirable. Firstly, the patched firmware fixes the premature float bugs. Secondly, it adjusts some internal, undocumented constants that are designed for lead acid, and are not LFP-friendly. [ Edit: Oops, but I see that you actually have a lead acid battery. So you want the lead acid flavour of the patched firmware: dsp_LC1_73.00e. ] Thirdly, there are several other goodies, like load compensation for battery voltage measurements.
hercio
Noobie

Post by hercio »

Hello, thanks @coulomb for all these advices.
1- Can be the PIP-4048MS connected to a Pylontech UP5000 or US3000 battery bank (two or more modules) without a BMS in the PIP, just by settings the cutoff/bulk/float/back-to-grid voltages to the values indicated in the MPP Solar link?
Yes, but don't use Pylontech's values; the voltages are far too high. Use 52.5 V and 51.8 V for absorb/bulk and float voltage settings. Those values will increase longevity, and prevent the inevitable battery voltage overshoots from causing the battery to disconnect in panic.

You don't get everything this way; there is no protection for a single cell going over- or under- voltage, for example. But as long as the cells stay in balance, that is usually not a problem.
There are no specific information in the link nor in the pdf linked regarding to the PIP-4048MS pf 0.8, but the voltage values seems to be the same for others inverters.
All models use the same voltage settings.
It's not strictly necessary, but desirable. Firstly, the patched firmware fixes the premature float bugs. Secondly, it adjusts some internal, undocumented constants that are designed for lead acid, and are not LFP-friendly. Thirdly, there are several other goodies, like load compensation for battery voltage measurements.
Here some pictures of the actual set, I'll post more after the firmware and battery upgrade:
Attachments
PIP4048MS SN.jpg
PIP4048MS SN.jpg (243.57 KiB) Viewed 10393 times
PIP4048MS firmware.jpg
PIP4048MS firmware.jpg (503.21 KiB) Viewed 10393 times
PIP4048MS batt.jpg
PIP4048MS batt.jpg (423.77 KiB) Viewed 10393 times
Inverter: MPP SOLAR PIP-4048MS, manufactured July 2016, with dsp_LF1_73.00e firmware, output set to 220V 50Hz.
Batteries: 10.24kWh (4 x Vision SP 12-200 LiFePO4, 12.8V 200Ah)
PV: 15 x 270W 60-cell polycrystalline (3S5P)
hercio
Noobie

Post by hercio »

Hello @coulomb,
[ Edit: Oops, but I see that you actually have a lead acid battery. So you want the lead acid flavour of the patched firmware: dsp_LC1_73.00e. ]
Actually I have lead acid batteries, but they're almost dead, so I'll replace them soon with LiFePO4 chemistry, maybe will be two Pylontech UP5000 modules, or maybe (most likely) will be four of this (cheaper and available next week from a local supplier, instead waiting two months):

https://www.yhipower.com.au/product/sp12-200/

So I think I have to flash the inverter with dsp_LF1_73.00e, is it correct? (and after that, I'll change the batteries!)

The Vision SP12-200 are 4S2P 100Ah LiFePO4, so each battery is 12.8V 200Ah. I'll set the inverter voltages to 52.5 / 51.8 V as you suggested, despite are lower than the values specified in the Vision datasheet.

Regarding the inverter flashing: I have my PCs running Ubuntu, but I use Virtualbox to run WXP SP3. I have no problem to use the USB serial ports in XP, I've tested with a FTDI USB/UART converter, and with my Fluke 189 IR interface (I guess it has a FTDI too). I use a USB/RS232 with PL2303 to connect to the inverter, that is recognized too by virtual WXP.
So... any warning about flashing from a virtual machine?
Inverter: MPP SOLAR PIP-4048MS, manufactured July 2016, with dsp_LF1_73.00e firmware, output set to 220V 50Hz.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

hercio wrote: Sat, 16 Oct 2021, 07:14 So I think I have to flash the inverter with dsp_LF1_73.00e, is it correct? (and after that, I'll change the batteries!)
Yes, that will give you the more LFP-friendly thresholds and other goodies.
The Vision SP12-200 are 4S2P 100Ah LiFePO4, so each battery is 12.8V 200Ah.
Just be aware that not all 12 V LFP batteries with integrated BMS can be put in series, and sometimes there is a limit on the number of modules that are allowed to be put in series. I believe that this because if a cell goes under-voltage and the BMS has to disconnect that module, it will end up with the whole battery voltage (up to about 60 V) across the MOSFETs. Chris Jones mentioned this problem recently.
I can't see any problem with it, but I've not done it myself. I can't recall if others have attempted it; I suspect that they must have, and hopefully we would have heard about it if it didn't work.

Obviously, any readers that have tried it, please chime in.
hercio
Noobie

Post by hercio »

The Vision SP12-200 are 4S2P 100Ah LiFePO4, so each battery is 12.8V 200Ah.
Just be aware that not all 12 V LFP batteries with integrated BMS can be put in series, and sometimes there is a limit on the number of modules that are allowed to be put in series. I believe that this because if a cell goes under-voltage and the BMS has to disconnect that module, it will end up with the whole battery voltage (up to about 60 V) across the MOSFETs. Chris Jones mentioned this problem recently.
Yes, it's clear, the datasheet specifies that system series must be less than or equal to 6 (the same for parallel), so with 4 in a single series in theory they should work. The same information it is in the "User Manual" (attached), in paragraph 4.4.3.
I'm sorry, I only got this manual in Spanish (at least, in its most part...).

I can't see any problem with it, but I've not done it myself. I can't recall if others have attempted it; I suspect that they must have, and hopefully we would have heard about it if it didn't work.

Obviously, any readers that have tried it, please chime in.
After I've tried it, I'll share my experience!
Attachments
Vision SP 12-200 User Manual.pdf
(182.74 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
nunodonato
Noobie

Post by nunodonato »

Hi folks

I have an Axpert inverter and was looking into a possible firmware update. However, I'm really confused about which one, and IF I can do it at all. Most references I see online dont match the inverter I have.
Looking at the display, for U1 I see the numbers "20" and "04".
For U2, "02" and "02".

It's a 5kw inverter. It has a USB and ETH port.

Any help appreciated