Grid Connect PV systems

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
SamD
Noobie

Grid Connect PV systems

Post by SamD »

Might be worth a look on some tests of mirrors in combination with PV's:
http://www.tonchev.org/PVparks.html

This guy even mounts them on electric vehicles.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is black.
antiscab

Re: Grid Connect PV systems

Post by antiscab »

*gets out of time machine*
weber wrote: Mon, 07 Jun 2010, 03:49
I still wouldn't cycle the batts to timeshift energy. My calcs show that is a no win when amortising battery cost, particulary at only 40c net FIT in WA !!!
Are you sure? Given that we limit it to cycling only the top 20% (lead acid). We're using 200 Ah SunGels from Battery Energy. 10 year warranty. According to their charts, the cycle life at that DoD isn't much shorter than their standby life.
Dave - how are these batteries going? are they getting expected service life?
weber wrote: Sun, 06 Jun 2010, 05:40 Latronics grid-connect inverters have a mode where they will charge a battery and then drop it back to float and put the excess energy out to the grid. This is quite efficient. Figures given above for typical charge discharge battery efficiencies are not relevant here as the battery is just kept on float and the inverter "skims the excess off the top".

The PVE1200 floats the battery at 54 V, the PVE2500 at 108 V.
I recently acquired a PVE-2500 for my gumtree sourced solar system.
I have just realised mine is set to battery mode (I was manually tracking V and I, and the inverter always pulled the voltage down to 110v or so)

Have you used it with a 96v battery as a dump load?

I have used mine with the 140v battery in my vectrix to try out load shifting. it works, but obviously won't stop automatically unless the voltage gets down to 108v.
I wonder if I could adjust this upwards, perhaps by setting it to PV mode. (I'll try this out tomorrow)
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I just checked the dip switch positions on my pve2500. It's already set to mppt mode. Weird.

I also see there's an option to make the inverter standalone. That could be useful in the event of a power failure, with the main switch off.
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Another long lost thread in need of relocation :)
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

antiscab wrote: Wed, 08 May 2019, 14:50 *gets out of time machine*
weber wrote: Mon, 07 Jun 2010, 03:49 We're using 200 Ah SunGels from Battery Energy. 10 year warranty. According to their charts, the cycle life at that DoD isn't much shorter than their standby life.
Dave - how are these batteries going? are they getting expected service life?
Sadly they did not. The manufacturer specified excessive equalisation that killed them prematurely. They have since amended their manual. And they were eventually dragged, kicking and screaming, to honour their warranty.
weber wrote: Sun, 06 Jun 2010, 05:40 Latronics grid-connect inverters have a mode where they will charge a battery and then drop it back to float and put the excess energy out to the grid. This is quite efficient. Figures given above for typical charge discharge battery efficiencies are not relevant here as the battery is just kept on float and the inverter "skims the excess off the top".

The PVE1200 floats the battery at 54 V, the PVE2500 at 108 V.
I recently acquired a PVE-2500 for my gumtree sourced solar system.
I have just realised mine is set to battery mode (I was manually tracking V and I, and the inverter always pulled the voltage down to 110v or so)

Have you used it with a 96v battery as a dump load?
No. I have not done this.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).