PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
PAW1
Noobie

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by PAW1 »

@coulomb

Hi and greetings from Vienna/Austria!

At this time I am preparing my house for mounting PV paneels on the roof. Till finishing the installation it will take some months, because waiting for a lot of materials. But I have allready got inverters of type "Steca Solarix PLI 5000-48 Rev.2" and Pylontech US3000C.

I am very interested in your special software 72.20e. I hope it will work with my inverters. They have a CPU version 72.60. Unfortunately this version is not available for download on the home page of Steca, so I can not show you. (Only version 72.40 is available).

Is there anybody who has experience with the Solarix PLI 5000-48 Rev. 2 in combination with your version 72.20e ?

One question to your patched version 72.20e

How works the MNCHGC function 497 (put into standby mode) in conjunction with the standard parameter 04 (power saving mode on/off) of the PIP program settings? What is the difference? Can they work togehter?

Thank You and best regards

PAW
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

PAW1 wrote: Sun, 05 Jun 2022, 00:57 Hi and greetings from Vienna/Austria!

Welcome to the forum.
I am very interested in your special software 72.20e. I hope it will work with my inverters.
I'm confident but can't be certain that it will work.
They have a CPU version 72.60. Unfortunately this version is not available for download on the home page of Steca, so I can not show you. (Only version 72.40 is available).
It's good to know that these older models are still getting firmware updates. The fact that we have 72.40 from that site and that it is obviously evolved from 72.20 gives me confidence that 72.20e will work in your newer hardware.
How works the MNCHGC function 497 (put into standby mode) in conjunction with the standard parameter 04 (power saving mode on/off) of the PIP program settings? What is the difference? Can they work togehter?
The power saving mode is a bit of a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. It's a mode where the inverter turns off at low loads, except for a pulse every few seconds, searching for a load. When a load above a threshold is detected, it turns on normally. That might suit a tiny inverter that runs only a fridge, but a 5 kW inverter typically running all the essential loads in a house is never going to see zero load. I don't recommend using power saving mode.

Our MNCHGC with parameter 497 is intended for paralleled inverters, when say one inverter is expected to be able to handle all loads for a time, typically overnight.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
PAW1
Noobie

Post by PAW1 »

@coulomb Thank you for your informations!
The power saving mode is a bit of a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. It's a mode where the inverter turns off at low loads, except for a pulse every few seconds, searching for a load. When a load above a threshold is detected, it turns on normally. That might suit a tiny inverter that runs only a fridge, but a 5 kW inverter typically running all the essential loads in a house is never going to see zero load. I don't recommend using power saving mode.

Nevertheless the power saving mode may be helpfull on my configuration. The house is connected to a 3-phase grid. 3-phase consumers will be unchanged connected to the grid. The single phase consumers are splitted to all three phases to divide the load. There will be an emergency power switch to select the power from grid or from inverters. The phases in the house will stay separated. In future I will concentrate the most weak consumers to one phase. This phase will be allways on. The other two phases will deliver power to only a few strong consumers, like washing machine, clothes dryer, a.s.o. So this phases may absolutely go to zero current and the power saving mode will reduce the 50 Watts to 15 Watts per inverter. Propably the power savig mode will not work on single phases, when the inverters configured to 3-phase. So I am thinking about using all inverters independently in single phase mode. The single phase electrical consumer should have no problem, when there is no 3-phase modulation. The only problem would be the higher current on the neutral cable, because the current may be some times higher than in 3-phase mode. Therefore the emergency power switch has enough capacity to switch the higher current.

Best regards
PAW
Amarok
Noobie

Post by Amarok »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 08 Jun 2021, 06:49 Great timing. Just yesterday I managed to extract the bootloader from the Axpert King (PIP-MK) that I have here for experimentation. I used a new technique for extracting the password, allowing me to extract the bootloader in one quick hit with JTAG.

I learned a few things. It seems that they use different passwords for different models, or possibly change them over time. Also, the bootloader was fairly different from the one we extracted a year or two ago from a different model. It looks like you have to match the bootloader with the reflash tool. That's one of those things that seems obvious in retrospect.

The good news is that this means that there is possibly nothing wrong with the bootloader that I have, I might just have to find the right reflash tool to use with it, possibly modifying the main firmware slightly to use the matching command.

Or maybe you could use the really old bootloader that I extracted from an early machine that had no password. It came with main firmware 52.02, not far off what you have now.

So one way or another, I can probably get you working.
Dear Coulomb,
I follow since a year some of the topics about PIP-4048 inverters for which you are so active. First of all thanks a lot for all the amazing information I can get here to help me manage my PV installation.

Just a few word about me. I am french (nobody's perfect!), and I have a background as electronic engineer mainly in digital HW and SW.

Since 3 years I have installed a PV array of 36 panels 320Wc each, with 3 PIP4048 (clones unfortunately!!!) in parrallel for single phase AC. I initialy had lead acid batteries which do not last long as I had no experience and tried to trust the seller directive for parameters setup. Then I "build" a 16S LiFePo4 battery with a Daly BMS. I come to the point where having right firmware is mandatory, but having clone is not easy life! I managed to program spare control boards with the patched firmware LF1 73.00e using a XDS110 jtag emulator, but that leadsme to a really very small success in the way that I can see all the new parameter settings of the patch, but having mostly a continuous bip with error 99. I do not want to bother you with my special case, but would like to try to explore the "bootloader way", meaning trying to setup the control board with bootloader I can find somewhere.

And here is my wish, if possible, to get informations and files concerning bootloaders and passwords, according to your experience.

I do not know how to contact you by PM (I guess I am not authorized). May you can drive me also for that.

Anyway , once again, thanks for sharing all your knowledge, and for your patience reading my stuff.

[ Edited Coulomb: Now that Amarok has made one post that was approved, he can access Private Messages. So we're continuing this discussion on PM. ]
holmoe
Groupie

Post by holmoe »

I have 3 PIP4048MS alike inverters (Effekta AX M5000) and currently in the process to install the panels on the roof.
Buildings in Germany usually have a 3 Phase Grid connection and I think I'll use the inverters in a 3 Phase configuration since that enables me to use machines that I already own
(welder, lathe, circular saw, drill press) in the configuration as they already are. I've got the 3 interface cards and cables with the former defective inverters, so connecting them shouldn't be a problem.
As far as I know the documented configuration is that all inverters are connected to the same battery and only one of them is charging the batteries from the PV, is that correct?
I want to expand the count off PV Cells next year, planned to install some paneels additionally on the west side of my roof and I think it would be better to control the charging of the batteries with a different MPPT controller, but so far as I remember this configuration wasn't mentioned in the paper manual that I've read some times before. Batteries are lead acid here.

Is this configuration allowed?

Regards,

Holm
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

holmoe wrote: Wed, 20 Jul 2022, 22:25 As far as I know the documented configuration is that all inverters are connected to the same battery
Yes.
and only one of them is charging the batteries from the PV, is that correct?
No, they can all charge the battery, and they can all have different maximum charge current settings if you want (both PV and utility charging). At least, that's the situation for paralleled inverters, and I can't see why it would be different for a 3-phase configuration.
I want to expand the [ number of ] PV [ panels ] next year, planned to install some panels additionally on the west side of my roof and I think it would be better to control the charging of the batteries with a different MPPT controller,
Using the other MPPTs in the other inverters is ideal for that situation.
holmoe
Groupie

Post by holmoe »

Ok, thanks coulomb ..(again :-) )

Regards to Downunder,

Holm
holmoe
Groupie

Post by holmoe »

@colomb: You suggested the firmware 73.00e for my 2015 PIP4048MS Inverters here:

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php ... 2dd#p91831

but I want to use 4 pcs. 12V 170Ah lead acid batteries ( https://www.ebay.de/itm/201794836557 ), that are deep cycle
wet cells, no AGM.

Does the firmware Version 73.00e work for those batteries ( think to remember that 7x.xx series is for LiFePo4) ?

Since I do have clones ( effecta AX-M5000-48 ) I'm still courious if the firmware update will work on those or if I'll run into
problems with them.

Regards,
Holm
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

holmoe wrote: Sat, 23 Jul 2022, 18:14 @colomb: You suggested the firmware 73.00e for my 2015 PIP4048MS Inverters... but I want to use 4 pcs. 12V 170Ah lead acid batteries, that are deep cycle wet cells, no AGM.

Does the firmware Version 73.00e work for those batteries ( think to remember that 7x.xx series is for LiFePo4) ?
Yes, there is a "lead-acid" (really non-LFP) "flavour" of fully patched firmware, including 73.00e. I don't know where you got the idea that 7x.xx firmware is for LFP batteries.
Since I do have clones ( effecta AX-M5000-48 )
We have Effekta brand listed at the start of the first post of this topic as genuine Voltronic Power models. Are you sure yours are clones? There is unfortunately nothing stopping clone makers from calling their models anything they like. Some clones can't even have firmware updated at all.
I'm still curious if the firmware update will work on those or if I'll run into problems with them.
The quality of clones varies tremendously; you just don't know what you're getting. They might have changed the hardware and patched an illegal copy of the genuine firmware to make it work with their changes. I can't see why they'd want to do that, other than to be able to claim that they didn't completely copy the firmware, but who knows. If so, genuine or patched Voltronics firmware won't work. It's not possible to save the existing firmware, so if it doesn't work, then you have bricked your inverter.

Perhaps post a photo of the label on the side of one of the inverters, we might be able to tell if it's genuine or not.
holmoe
Groupie

Post by holmoe »

Ok, coulomb, I've read acreoss both of the threads regarding the pip4048 and similars here..but not all, sorry for that, but that's the cause why I'm asking here before
I do something wrong. If you describe the AX-M5000 as genuine Voltronics, I'll call them never again clones :-)
I'll do like you suggested.

The inside of the interters look like genuine PIP4048-MS, the outside too..bit of the different Type and manufacturer printed on the front.

Regards,
Holm
Solarix
Noobie

Post by Solarix »

Hi all and greetings from germany,
I recently bought a solar inverter from Effekta AX M2 5000/48 and (of course) ran into all the same issues you found alredy, thats why i found this forum ;)
Note that this is the M2 version of the Effekta inverter, that is why i am a bit unsure if that one is compatible with one of your modified firmwares. So i thought i reach out asking first.

That inverter version seems to be the replacement of the older M1 series. https://www.effekta.com/en/produkt/mult ... ter-ax-m2/
Beside all the known issues, this one does not allow to change multiple settings, ie setting 02 (max load A) and 13 (back to discharge V).

It currently has following frmware installed:
U1: 73.01
U2: 151.01

Do you think that this M2 series will work with your firmware?

Btw, pretty impressive what you guys are doing with those inverters :)
Thanks in advance for your help!
Armin
Last edited by Solarix on Fri, 29 Jul 2022, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Solarix wrote: Fri, 29 Jul 2022, 13:07 Hi all and greetings from germany,
Welcome to the forum.
I recently bought a solar inverter from Effekta AX M2 5000/48 and (of course) ran into all the same issues you found already...
Note that this is the M2 version of the Effekta inverter, that is why i am a bit unsure if that one is compatible with one of your modified firmwares.
It's an Axpert King with the zero transfer feature. And not an Axpert King II, which is the high voltage PV version.
That inverter version seems to be the replacement of the older M1 series. https://www.effekta.com/en/produkt/mult ... ter-ax-m2/
Not really, though many people could use it that way.
Beside all the known issues, this one does not allow to change multiple settings, ie setting 02 (max load A) and 13 (back to discharge V).
Is your battery type perhaps PYL or one of the other ones that talks to a BMS?
It currently has following firmware installed:
U1: 73.01
U2: 151.01
I thought that the King main firmware, known to have gone past version 71.97, overflowed to 72.00. But maybe the manufacgturer realised that this clashed with the old MKS firmware series (e.g. 72.70) and decided to go to 73.01 (73.00 already being taken by that series, and unlikely to ever get updated).
Do you think that this M2 series will work with your firmware?
I guess that it should work with our lightly patched firmware version 71.97a, though you will obviously lose some changes between 71.97 and 73.01. But the gap in version numbers suggests that maybe it won't. I note that the AX-M2 manual looks quite different to a regular Axpert King (or Kodak OG+ or ...) manual.

The removable display version (151.01) is also very different to ordinary Kings (e.g. 02.66). I wondered if Effekta have a custom LCD layout, but it looks standard to me (according to the user manual).

Hopefully we'll end up with a 73.xx firmware update file, so we can complete our promised fully patched Axpert King firmware some day. I still don't have anything later than 71.97 though. It might be worth waiting until we see a 73.01 or later firmware, so we can verify the compatibility or otherwise of the firmwares. Note that it's not possible to go back to your original 73.01 firmware if you update, unless you obtain a 73.01 or later firmware update file from Effekta.
Solarix
Noobie

Post by Solarix »

Thanks for your fast response!
Yes it is set to PYL since i am running US2000C batteries.
Even when i set the battery type to USE, i can still access and change the settings, but once i left the settings menu, values got restored to their previous state. :evil:

Hmm ok when this inverter is quite different to all the common ones I´d say that I will not flash it to another firmware and look for another inverter instead (anyone interested in buying a brand new Elektra inverter?) :lol:

Am I right in assuming that no matter which inverter I buy next (Steca, Voltronic, ...) requires your firmware to work properly?
Perhaps you have a recommendation which one would be a good alternative?

Thanks again for your help!
Cheers
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Solarix wrote: Fri, 29 Jul 2022, 21:33
Yes it is set to PYL since i am running US2000C batteries.
Even when i set the battery type to USE, i can still access and change the settings, but once i left the settings menu, values got restored to their previous state.
That's how it's supposed to work. Only when the battery type is USE will those settings (absorb voltage setting etc) take effect. When it's PYL or one of the other BMS battery types, the BMS over-rides all the battery related settings, including maximum charge current.
Am I right in assuming that no matter which inverter I buy next (Steca, Voltronic, ...) requires your firmware to work properly?
To fix the premature float bug, yes. But there are workarounds. We only patch the Axpert MKS models, and these are in the minority now, sadly.

[ Edit: when battery type is PYL, for example, I believe that the absorb and float voltages are set to the same value. So the premature float bug doesn't affect such systems. ]
Perhaps you have a recommendation which one would be a good alternative?
Sorry, I don't make recommendations for inverter models.
Solarix
Noobie

Post by Solarix »

That's how it's supposed to work. Only when the battery type is USE will those settings (absorb voltage setting etc) take effect. When it's PYL or one of the other BMS battery types, the BMS over-rides all the battery related settings, including maximum charge current
Yes that is understandable and makes total sense, what i am trying to say is that even when battery type is set to USE, it does not accept/store the settings i mentioned (plus others), it will always set them back to factory defaults once you left the edit menu.

Anyways, thanks again for your prompt help!
Cheers
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

I received the following question by email, but I'm answering here in case it's useful to others
I have a PIP-5048MS 64V that I'd like to use with some Tesla batteries I already have — 4 Model-X modules. Problem is they are nominally 22.5 volts which of course means clipping on the 48V setting.

I'm not sure if there's another inverter I should consider, or perhaps adding 2 more batteries and running 2 strings of 3 for 67.5 to 68 volts might be a solution? I don't know if in 64V the inverter clips or at what voltage it clips, only seen / read tests of 48V so far.

I have these lovely batteries sitting here doing nothing and really want to utilise them, so any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.
Please see this related post which gives sine-wave clipping thresholds for both 64 V and 58.4 V PIPs.

Those Tesla modules have 6 NMC cell groups in series (6S). To make reasonable use of their capacity, each cell needs to go from about 3.5 V to 4.0 V. So two modules in series (12S) need to go from about 42 V to 48 V, and 3 modules in series (18S) need to go from about 63 V to 72 V. So you can't use 2 modules or 3 modules with a 64 V PIP. 3 modules would blow up the inverter. 2 modules would just barely be usable with a 58.4 V PIP, but as you noted, with a 64 V PIP the output will be clipping all the time.

See this post about why it's OK to be clipping some of the time, but not all of the time.

For a 64 V PIP you need 14S, 15S or 16S NMCs. I don't know of any inverter that will work with a multiple of 6S.

Those Tesla modules are 232 Ah, so one option would be to buy some other kind of NMC cells, to make up 4 more groups of 232 Ah. This would allow you to make two strings of 14S. They could be 4 prismatic cells at say 250 Ah each, or each group could be made up from 74 or so paralleled 18650 cells.

Another option is to buy another Tesla module and cut it in half (electrically-speaking), and have 2 strings of 2.5 modules (15S). I have no idea how practical that might be, but in theory here's how to do it. Cut the connecting plate on the yellow dashed line to split it into two 3S sections, and drill at the yellow dots to bolt on the extra cable lugs.

TeslaModuleCutLine.jpg
TeslaModuleCutLine.jpg (614.08 KiB) Viewed 94 times

This is not something you should attempt unless you have the relevant training and experience. It will require a lot of safety precautions. I am not familiar with these specific modules, but if you're in Brisbane, email or PM me to arrange to bring a module to my workshop and I'll assess the feasibility of this operation.

Of course you'll need to use a third-party BMS with either of the above options.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
ashigaru
Noobie

Post by ashigaru »

Greetings coloumb, weber, and all from the good ol' USA!
What an amazing forum! Just sad I didn't find it earlier. Nevertheless.....
I just ran across your forum jblance's github page (credit due). As newer inverters on the market have wifi, etc, jblance's work gave me a chance to monitor my inverter.
I've been using an MPP_Solar LV5048 for a couple years now. As a side note, I've seen the E09 error a few times but it seems to reset itself after turning off/on battery power . Don't know why just glad it keeps working.
More to the point:
I was impressed with the firmware you developed and was looking to see if I could upgrade mine but did not see a reference to the firmware I have:
U1 = 61-00 and U2 = 4-12?
What do you think? Would I be able to upgrade the firmware? I don't think I have a clone from the forum posts. Would it upgrade the QPIGS command to be able to see the PV input #2? At present it only shows PV input #1. I could be missing something.
Just in case I didn't get the picture upload to work I included command outputs.
Best Regards!

Command: QID - Device Serial Number inquiry
------------------------------------------------------------
Parameter Value Unit
serial_number 92911911100095

Command: QVFW - Main CPU firmware version inquiry
Parameter Value Unit
main_cpu_firmware_version VERFW:00061.00

Command: QPIGS - General Status Parameters inquiry
Parameter Value Unit
ac_input_voltage 123.5 V
ac_input_frequency 60.0 Hz
ac_output_voltage 123.5 V
ac_output_frequency 60.0 Hz
ac_output_apparent_power 382 VA
ac_output_active_power 306 W
ac_output_load 15 %
bus_voltage 214 V
battery_voltage 52.6 V
battery_charging_current 16 A
battery_capacity 48 %
inverter_heat_sink_temperature 36 °C
pv_input_current_for_battery 2.0 A
pv_input_voltage 58.6 V
battery_voltage_from_scc 52.66 V
battery_discharge_current 0 A
is_sbu_priority_version_added 1 bool
is_configuration_changed 0 bool
is_scc_firmware_updated 1 bool
is_load_on 0 bool
is_battery_voltage_to_steady_while_charging 0 bool
is_charging_on 1 bool
is_scc_charging_on 0 bool
rsv1 0 A
rsv2 0 A
pv_input_power 121 W
is_charging_to_float 0 bool
is_switched_on 1 bool
is_reserved 0 bool

[image][/image]

file:///home/charles/Documents/Notes/MPP-Solar/MPP-Solar_Inverter_Label.jpeg
file:///home/charles/Documents/Notes/MPP-Solar/MPP-Solar_Inverter_U1_Code.jpeg
file:///home/charles/Documents/Notes/MPP-Solar/MPP-Solar_Inverter_U2_Code.jpeg
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

ashigaru wrote: Sun, 07 Aug 2022, 00:10 Greetings coloumb, weber, and all from the good ol' USA!
Welcome to the forum.
I've been using an MPP_Solar LV5048 for a couple years now.

The LVs are the Low Voltage (120 VAC) models. We don't see a lot of them in this forum.
As a side note, I've seen the E09 error a few times but it seems to reset itself after turning off/on battery power . Don't know why just glad it keeps working.
That's concerning. Especially as fault code 09 (bus soft start fail) usually means shorted IGBTs and sometimes also MOSFETs. Obviously as yours keeps working, that's not the case here. Perhaps your soft start power supply is weak, or the firmware is expecting the bus voltage to reach a value that isn't always obtainable.
I was impressed with the firmware you developed and was looking to see if I could upgrade mine but did not see a reference to the firmware I have:
U1 = 61-00 and U2 = 4-12?
As I mentioned, we don't hear about many split phase models. The only split phase firmwares I have in my collection are actually hybrid firmwares (grid interactive, capable of export). These have different commands and displays. The closest manual I can find to your PIP-LV5048 is the PIP-LV6048, and it's a 145 V max PV model. So it's possible that the 04.12 is a slightly later version of the 04.10 that we are used to for our PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS 240 V models.
What do you think? Would I be able to upgrade the firmware?

No, sorry. The LV models seem to be two 120 V inverters in one case, so the firmware would be completely different.
Would it upgrade the QPIGS command to be able to see the PV input #2? At present it only shows PV input #1. I could be missing something.
You can't upgrade QPIGS, but there should be other commands to give you the other data you need. Unfortunately, I don't have a protocol manual for any split phase model. Try the QPIGS2 command; the first two fields should be PV2 input current and PV2 input voltage. Note: PV current may be at the panels, or at the battery. If at the battery, it could be total current or net charging current.
serial_number 92911911100095
That tells us it's a different model series to what we've seen, and since 9191 is close to the 9293 of PIP-5048MS, they may be closely relaated.
Command: QPIGS - General Status Parameters inquiry
Parameter Value Unit
bus_voltage 214 V
battery_voltage 52.6 V

That suggests a 1:4 transformer ratio, or possibly slightly higher. The PIP-LV6048 is a 58.4 V model (sensible!). It looks like the onset of clipping might be around 44.7 V; slightly higher than our 58.4 V max 240 V models because you presumably have the same ≈12 VDC of bus voltage headroom, which is twice as much relative to your halved bus voltage.

pv_input_voltage 58.6 V

So definitely a 145 V max PV voltage model. Also sensible, in my opinion.
battery_voltage_from_scc 52.66 V

This strongly suggests that you have a separate Solar Charge Controller processor, like our PIP-5048MS. So you likely have two SCCs similar to one of ours.
[image][/image]
You have to put the image URL between the [image] and [/image] tags.
file:///home/charles/Documents/Notes/MPP-Solar/MPP-Solar_Inverter_Label.jpeg
These URLs refer to files on your hard drive. You can't use those in image tags. You have to upload them to a server (e.g. Imgur), find the actual image URL (not the URL of a HTTP page containing the image, sometimes non-trivial), and use that URL. But now that you have had your first post approved, you can also just drag the name of an image from a file explorer to the edit window, which will upload it to this forum and attach it to your post. You can optionally inline the image as well.
ashigaru
Noobie

Post by ashigaru »

Hey coloumb,
Thanks for the generous and informative reply! I appreciate it.
You know us yanks have to be different. Not surprised you don't see many of these models.
Yes, I believe you are correct that it does have 2 scc's. Each with 80a input but it looks like it only displays the first pv (or scc) input with the commands. I can see it on the inverter display though. Good enough.
I tried the QPIGS2 and other commands before the first post. Nothing came back and it didn't recognize the command.
I have 2 different panel arrays and was interested to compare their performance. I monitor the system with jblances grafana stack. What a genius.
I will continue to research the forum on the IGBT and MOSFET issue.
Sorry I didn't get the pictures inserted correctly. Operator difficulty of course! I've only been around the sun 69 times.
Thanks again for such a great forum!