PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
hercio
Noobie

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by hercio »

Hello, thanks @coulomb for all these advices.
1- Can be the PIP-4048MS connected to a Pylontech UP5000 or US3000 battery bank (two or more modules) without a BMS in the PIP, just by settings the cutoff/bulk/float/back-to-grid voltages to the values indicated in the MPP Solar link?
Yes, but don't use Pylontech's values; the voltages are far too high. Use 52.5 V and 51.8 V for absorb/bulk and float voltage settings. Those values will increase longevity, and prevent the inevitable battery voltage overshoots from causing the battery to disconnect in panic.

You don't get everything this way; there is no protection for a single cell going over- or under- voltage, for example. But as long as the cells stay in balance, that is usually not a problem.
There are no specific information in the link nor in the pdf linked regarding to the PIP-4048MS pf 0.8, but the voltage values seems to be the same for others inverters.
All models use the same voltage settings.
2- If the answer to 1- is "yes": It will be necessary to upgrade the PIP firmware to dsp_LF1_73.00e?
It's not strictly necessary, but desirable. Firstly, the patched firmware fixes the premature float bugs. Secondly, it adjusts some internal, undocumented constants that are designed for lead acid, and are not LFP-friendly. Thirdly, there are several other goodies, like load compensation for battery voltage measurements.
Here some pictures of the actual set, I'll post more after the firmware and battery upgrade:
Attachments
PIP4048MS SN.jpg
PIP4048MS SN.jpg (243.57 KiB) Viewed 216 times
PIP4048MS firmware.jpg
PIP4048MS firmware.jpg (503.21 KiB) Viewed 216 times
PIP4048MS batt.jpg
PIP4048MS batt.jpg (423.77 KiB) Viewed 216 times
hercio
Noobie

Post by hercio »

Hello @coulomb,
[ Edit: Oops, but I see that you actually have a lead acid battery. So you want the lead acid flavour of the patched firmware: dsp_LC1_73.00e. ]
Actually I have lead acid batteries, but they're almost dead, so I'll replace them soon with LiFePO4 chemistry, maybe will be two Pylontech UP5000 modules, or maybe (most likely) will be four of this (cheaper and available next week from a local supplier, instead waiting two months):

https://www.yhipower.com.au/product/sp12-200/

So I think I have to flash the inverter with dsp_LF1_73.00e, is it correct? (and after that, I'll change the batteries!)

The Vision SP12-200 are 4S2P 100Ah LiFePO4, so each battery is 12.8V 200Ah. I'll set the inverter voltages to 52.5 / 51.8 V as you suggested, despite are lower than the values specified in the Vision datasheet.

Regarding the inverter flashing: I have my PCs running Ubuntu, but I use Virtualbox to run WXP SP3. I have no problem to use the USB serial ports in XP, I've tested with a FTDI USB/UART converter, and with my Fluke 189 IR interface (I guess it has a FTDI too). I use a USB/RS232 with PL2303 to connect to the inverter, that is recognized too by virtual WXP.
So... any warning about flashing from a virtual machine?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

hercio wrote: Sat, 16 Oct 2021, 07:14 So I think I have to flash the inverter with dsp_LF1_73.00e, is it correct? (and after that, I'll change the batteries!)
Yes, that will give you the more LFP-friendly thresholds and other goodies.
The Vision SP12-200 are 4S2P 100Ah LiFePO4, so each battery is 12.8V 200Ah.
Just be aware that not all 12 V LFP batteries with integrated BMS can be put in series, and sometimes there is a limit on the number of modules that are allowed to be put in series. I believe that this because if a cell goes under-voltage and the BMS has to disconnect that module, it will end up with the whole battery voltage (up to about 60 V) across the MOSFETs. Chris Jones mentioned this problem recently.
I can't see any problem with it, but I've not done it myself. I can't recall if others have attempted it; I suspect that they must have, and hopefully we would have heard about it if it didn't work.

Obviously, any readers that have tried it, please chime in.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
hercio
Noobie

Post by hercio »

The Vision SP12-200 are 4S2P 100Ah LiFePO4, so each battery is 12.8V 200Ah.
Just be aware that not all 12 V LFP batteries with integrated BMS can be put in series, and sometimes there is a limit on the number of modules that are allowed to be put in series. I believe that this because if a cell goes under-voltage and the BMS has to disconnect that module, it will end up with the whole battery voltage (up to about 60 V) across the MOSFETs. Chris Jones mentioned this problem recently.
Yes, it's clear, the datasheet specifies that system series must be less than or equal to 6 (the same for parallel), so with 4 in a single series in theory they should work. The same information it is in the "User Manual" (attached), in paragraph 4.4.3.
I'm sorry, I only got this manual in Spanish (at least, in its most part...).

I can't see any problem with it, but I've not done it myself. I can't recall if others have attempted it; I suspect that they must have, and hopefully we would have heard about it if it didn't work.

Obviously, any readers that have tried it, please chime in.
After I've tried it, I'll share my experience!
Attachments
Vision SP 12-200 User Manual.pdf
(182.74 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
nunodonato
Noobie

Post by nunodonato »

Hi folks

I have an Axpert inverter and was looking into a possible firmware update. However, I'm really confused about which one, and IF I can do it at all. Most references I see online dont match the inverter I have.
Looking at the display, for U1 I see the numbers "20" and "04".
For U2, "02" and "02".

It's a 5kw inverter. It has a USB and ETH port.

Any help appreciated