How to get plastic flexible tubing into the bottom of 5048 style inverter/chargers?

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
TyTower
Groupie

How to get plastic flexible tubing into the bottom of 5048 style inverter/chargers?

Post by TyTower »

The entry opening on these inverters is rectangular and has a flimsy plastic frame around with a split which promptly falls off.
My cables coming in are power point type double insulated wire and its in a 25 mm round plastic flexible pipe .
There is too much close wiring and boards to just drill a round hole.
Has anybody found a successful way to fix the flexible to the housing so no fingers can get to the wires and they don't pull out?
A raceway /box type arrangement still has wires going up to the inverter.
paulvk
Groupie

Re: How to get plastic flexible tubing into the bottom of 5048 style inverter/chargers?

Post by paulvk »

I use 2.5 mm 3 core flexible cable to my inverters for the 230v and cable tie them to the side of the case through the air holes.
I also do not have them hard wired there are polarized wago 770 3 pin 25 amp plugs and sockets on the cables (rs components No 500-3767 Mfr No 770-133)
and anderson power connectors on DC this enables me to replace an inverter in less than 10 mins and as the 230v is male in and female out the cables going to the distribution board can be plugged together to form a by-pass. I also use a short length of split flexible tubing over the cables as physical protection instead of that useless square bit of plastic.
TyTower
Groupie

Re: How to get plastic flexible tubing into the bottom of 5048 style inverter/chargers?

Post by TyTower »

Thanks . Gonna try heating it with a heat gun and working it in but the split tube just for a half inch might work too if it won't go otherwise.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I use 25mm (might be 20mm) stiff conduit, heat it with the hot air blower until I get it the correct shape, then push it into the square hole and heat the bit sticking inside so it is soft enough to flare it out so this keeps it in place. I put a gland nut in the end of the conduit with some glue to stop it falling out and use that to hold the cable up inside the inverter case so there is no strain on the connections.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,

I used 50mm sq. (had left over from previous job) for AC, and 25mm flex. for DC.

conduit.JPG
conduit.JPG (82.42 KiB) Viewed 91 times

dRdoS7
TyTower
Groupie

Post by TyTower »

Hi , I'm not getting much from that picture its a bit close . I take it the 50mm square is on the left screwed to the wall and cable inside .

With the circular flex did you cut the box at the gland entry point some way to get the screw gland in?

Thanks Terry ..still to get a satisfactory result with this . May try your method.
dRdoS7
Groupie

Post by dRdoS7 »

Hi,
TyTower wrote: Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 05:39 I take it the 50mm square is on the left screwed to the wall and cable inside .
Yes. That was the easiest (and cheapest) solution.

I did think of using a pair of nylon glands and circular cables, instead of flat, but I think for the cable size, I couldn't fit 2 side by side.
With the circular flex did you cut the box at the gland entry point some way to get the screw gland in?
I think I modified the flex socket to fit the recangular hole. Not much room to anything else. Don't want to touch the coverplate while it's running. :shock: Otherwise I could say for sure.

Must have been easy to do, otherwise I wouldn't have. :lol:

The other option I thought of later was to put a pair of MC4s on the bottom. I've seen that on some grid tie inverters. Victron have them on some SCCs.

dRdoS7