Kona Fire - new packs required

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

Kona Fire - new packs required

Post by ResistanceIsFutile »

I think if I read this right all Kona packs are going to be replaced. No matter how bad your day is .. it can always be worse.
NewDaily mentions that an official said LG Energy Solution would probably have to replace all affected battery packs in the world when the ministry officially talks about the causes. More than 77,000 cars would have been affected.
https://insideevs.com/news/487476/hyund ... ll-defect/
jonescg

Re: Kona Fire - new packs required

Post by jonescg »

Oooh cheap Korean home storage batteries coming to a garage near you!
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

Post by ResistanceIsFutile »

jonescg wrote: Fri, 12 Feb 2021, 10:51 Oooh cheap Korean home storage batteries coming to a garage near you!
Might be better to keep them in the shed, well away from the house. :cry:

This is going to have implications for the whole industry.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

So we're all going to build a brick sh...battery house?
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Or actually build proper cell voltage monitoring BMS systems so no cell goes under voltage or over voltage ...... one of the problems when using the more volatile lithium chemistries to get the max energy/kg. the safer lithium chemistries just fail after an extended abuse rather than catching fire ....

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
doggy

Post by doggy »

The Zoe ZE40, of which there are a lot in Europe, uses the identical LG cell to the Kona (only difference is that Kona has 50% more of the same cells).
Given there have not been reports of Zoe fires, methinks the problem is not the cells themselves.
However, the BMSs between the two cars are almost certainly different and also, the packs/cooling/interconnections are also probably different so the problem is likely in those areas rather than the cells themselves.
(Incidentally, the later Renault ZE50 has 25% more capacity than the ZE40 from the same volume battery, using a later LG cell. Not really relevant to this discussion....but perhaps an 80kWHr battery is possible for a future Kona using those cells?)
Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
11kWHr LiFePO4 AVASS battery with 5kW inverter
5kWHr LiFePO4 battery running all computers. comms, CCTV
4.7kW AC Enphase solar system
1kW DC solar system
16 evac tube HWS with 280L
AEVA and TOCA member
No__Ice
Noobie

Post by No__Ice »

I wonder what this will do to anyone like me with a 2022 kona on order,have they a a proper fix for the new batterys or will they stop proudction of the kona eletric till its fixed or maybe use the new cells the same as the zoe with.but perhaps an 80kWHr battery possable size in a Kona size pack---600 km range possable ?/

Update from my Hyundai Dealer today. my 2022 kona electric is in production and will be delivered to Freo docks on the 28/4/2021

so it would seem that there is a permanent fix for the battery problem, they are just not up to telling us what it is .

perhaps still trying to figure out who pays for all the batteries to be replaced.
Last edited by No__Ice on Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 10:41, edited 2 times in total.
reecho

Post by reecho »

ResistanceIsFutile wrote: Fri, 12 Feb 2021, 10:31 I think if I read this right all Kona packs are going to be replaced. No matter how bad your day is .. it can always be worse.
NewDaily mentions that an official said LG Energy Solution would probably have to replace all affected battery packs in the world when the ministry officially talks about the causes. More than 77,000 cars would have been affected.
Getting a brand new pack sometime in the future?. Sign me up..!!
doggy

Post by doggy »

I agree! Sign me up for warranty battery replacements- any time!
Much better than a supplier which does not care.
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
11kWHr LiFePO4 AVASS battery with 5kW inverter
5kWHr LiFePO4 battery running all computers. comms, CCTV
4.7kW AC Enphase solar system
1kW DC solar system
16 evac tube HWS with 280L
AEVA and TOCA member
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

ResistanceIsFutile wrote: Fri, 12 Feb 2021, 10:31 I think if I read this right all Kona packs are going to be replaced. No matter how bad your day is .. it can always be worse.
There's been an update to that story:
Update: LG Energy Solution contacted InsideEVs to say there's still no official conclusion for the fires. The article has been updated to reflect that.
sleeperpservice
Groupie

Post by sleeperpservice »

Surely if this is true then the Ioniq would need replacement packs as well. They share the same cells don't they NCM 622???
reecho

Post by reecho »

sleeperpservice wrote: Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 10:24 Surely if this is true then the Ioniq would need replacement packs as well. They share the same cells don't they NCM 622???
No. Different vendor.
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

No__Ice wrote: Fri, 12 Feb 2021, 17:46 I wonder what this will do to anyone like me with a 2022 kona on order,have they a a proper fix for the new batterys or will they stop proudction of the kona eletric till its fixed or maybe use the new cells the same as the zoe with.but perhaps an 80kWHr battery possable size in a Kona size pack---600 km range possable ?/
The recall done late last year was only for Konas up to early 2020. I assume that this means that the suspected fault is only in the earlier versions and should not apply to later Kona.
From what I have read, including the rather strangely worded article starting this thread, LG and Hyundai have still not resolved what the problem was and whose fault it is. One suggestion was the separators in the LG battery, in which case it might be a only a minority of one particular batch that have any sort of problem. Another suggestion was that it was an insufficient conservative battery management system, which might now have been fixed in software. The new pause at 80% and 90% while charging might be to do some checks on the cell balance or temperature or whatever before getting to 100%. Perhaps with such a big battery, some people are charging to 100% so rarely that significant cell imbalance could occur and the originally programmed top balance at 100% was not enough to prevent overcharging of some cells? A solution would be to pause charging at 80% and 90%, let the cells settle and check for any that are staying at a high voltage then doing a balance at that point if any are high.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
Peter C in Canberra

Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
No__Ice
Noobie

Post by No__Ice »

So on friday they are finerly going to tell us what went wrong and what the are doing to fit it, i rearly hope so.

https://electrek.co/2021/02/17/hyundai- ... -in-korea/
sleeperpservice
Groupie

So it does appear Ioniq is included as well. The announcement was delayed apparently over whether it should be worldwide

https://thedriven.io/2021/02/22/hyundai ... ports-say/
No__Ice
Noobie

Post by No__Ice »

brunohill

Post by brunohill »

So LG Chem are still saying it is not the battery (or cell separators), it is the Hyundai BMS, even though the Chevy BOLT in the US has the same problem with the same LG batteries, manufactured at the same time at the same factory. It must be GMs BMS as well ? I bet the KIA E NIRO has the same BMS as the Kona but is OK because of the SKI battery.
TyTower
Groupie

Post by TyTower »

NickJP
Noobie

Post by NickJP »

Now apparently confirmed by Hyundai Australia: https://thedriven.io/2021/02/25/hyundai ... batteries/.
sleeperpservice
Groupie

Ours was built in March 2020 so will probably be included. If it does get replaced in April then we'll be on our 3rd motor and second battery in under a year! Who said there is less to go wrong on electric cars than ICE. :shock:
Lucky I like the car so much.
NickJP
Noobie

Post by NickJP »

sleeperpservice wrote: Thu, 25 Feb 2021, 16:39Ours was built in March 2020 so will probably be included. If it does get replaced in April then we'll be on our 3rd motor and second battery in under a year!
April? I'd say complete battery replacement on ~80,000 vehicles worldwide is probably going to take as long as completing the rollout of Covid-19 vaccinations.
sleeperpservice
Groupie

You are right but the Australian recall is due to start in April
Peter C in Canberra

NickJP wrote: Thu, 25 Feb 2021, 18:32 I'd say complete battery replacement on ~80,000 vehicles worldwide is probably going to take as long as completing the rollout of Covid-19 vaccinations.
Given the very low risk of fire, I'd be happy to get my new battery late in the rollout. The later I get it, the more km will be on my old battery and fewer on the new one, which is good since I anticipate keeping our Kona for a long time. Also, i might get to benefit from any incremental battery improvements that might occur through the production run. So, I'll be happy to get it when it eventually shows up, whenever that might be.
sleeperpservice
Groupie

I got this link from the Ioniq forum to the Korean Hyundai site

https://www.hyundai.com/kr/ko/e

Translated to English unfortunately the dates are pretty garbled. But to mine it looks like the 28kW is affected and not the 38kW. Guess we'll have to wait for the Australian press release

[Please note]
This is to inform Kona Electric/Ioniq Electric/Electic customers.

Among the electric vehicles produced and sold by our company for a certain period of time, a defect that could lead to a vehicle fire was found due to a short circuit (short circuit) inside the battery cells due to defective manufacturing of some battery cells produced at LG Energy Solutions' China (Nanjing) factory.
Accordingly, Hyundai Motor Company plans to voluntarily recall for the safety of its customers.

This recall is an operation to replace the high voltage battery system assembly (BSA), and the target vehicles are as follows.
- Kona Electric: March 11 to March 13, 2020 and 2018 production vehicles
- Kids ohnik Electric: May 2019 May 2, 2019 - November 30th production vehicle
- electric City: November 15, 2017 May 16 to 11 March 2020 vehicle production
※ For vehicles equipped with battery cells that do not apply the insulation coating on the positive terminal of LG Energy Solutions Co., Ltd.'s China (Nanjing) factory

Target vehicle customers can receive measures from Hyundai Motor Service Centers or Blue Hands nationwide, and Hyundai Motor Company will do its best to prepare parts in advance so that customers can receive battery replacement smoothly.

Due to the battery material supply schedule, the recall will take place sequentially after 2021.03.29, and details regarding service reservations will be informed to customers through the Hyundai Motor Company Customer Center (02-3488-0010) as soon as possible.

In addition, for Kona Electric and Ioniq Electric customers, adjusting the battery charge rate to 90% before battery replacement is effective in reducing the possibility of fire. You can set the charging rate in the Blue Link app or in the vehicle, and refer to the video below for how to adjust the in-vehicle. [Video check]