Kona Fire - new packs required

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
syntaxfx
Groupie

Re: Kona Fire - new packs required

Post by syntaxfx »

sleeperpservice wrote: Thu, 25 Feb 2021, 20:03 You are right but the Australian recall is due to start in April
I contacted Hyundai Australia this morning. They refused to commit to a date, except to say that they would email me "soon" with a notification.
When I asked if it would be in the next three months, they got really cagey and said that will not announce anything until they have all the needed parts.
That's ok, like Peter, I'm busily racking up the klicks on the current one. Just did 4100km on a holiday and I'll make the Kona the primary transport for everything until Hyundai notify me.
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EVSpott ... 603280886/

Proactive fire extinguisher installed in 2021 Kona
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

g4qber wrote: Fri, 09 Apr 2021, 06:52 Proactive fire extinguisher installed in 2021 Kona
Ooh, that's a new model, with the smooth non-grille.

Presumably, it's not subject to the recall, and doesn't need the fire extinguisher (any more than any car does). I don't think that a battery fire could be put out by a tiny extinguisher like that. The internal short with all that stored energy would overwhelm any extinguishing effort, surely. So this is all about PR, I'm guessing.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Not PR. It’s a fleet car, possibly for police?
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

coulomb wrote: Fri, 09 Apr 2021, 08:17 I don't think that a battery fire could be put out by a tiny extinguisher like that. The internal short with all that stored energy would overwhelm any extinguishing effort, surely. So this is all about PR, I'm guessing.
Fire extinguishers in cars are a good idea for if you come across a fire while you are out and about. Imagine yourself jumping out to rescue a hapless ICE driver!
Personally I always drive with one, although I've only ever used it to extinguish a wallaby.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

4Springs wrote: Fri, 16 Apr 2021, 19:19 Fire extinguishers in cars are a good idea for if you come across a fire while you are out and about.
Ok, good point. I thought initially that it was there to calm customers who might be worried about battery fires.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The catch with dry powder extinguishers is powder packing solid in the lower section of the extinguisher. I had an "Ah, the chips" fire at our previous house and the fire extinguisher let out a puff of gas and that was it, ended up putting the fire out with a cleaning products squirt bottle ... put the fire out in a jiff :roll: Every 3 mths or so, the unit needs to be shaken to loosen up the powder, if you can't feel it move around, off to the fire extinguisher service people so they can remove the top, break up the powered and regas it. I find it incredible that the extinguishers on shop shelves are often already packed down solid because of the length of time they have been in storage.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

Has anyone received a notice from Hyundai Australia about replacing their battery yet?
Although The Driven reported that Hyundai said they had contacted the DIRD and advised them back in February, I see nothing on the ACCC product safety site about battery replacement, which is where Hyundai Australia are required to "gazette" their recall notice to the public.
The last battery related recall on:
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall ... ory%3A4907
is the one from November - which was a software tweak.
Has Hyundai Australia actually advised the DIRD yet, or was that just their intention? :?
Cheers,
Phil
Manto
Noobie

Post by Manto »

Havent heard anything yet apart from the initial recall notice
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

Manto wrote: Fri, 07 May 2021, 16:52 Havent heard anything yet apart from the initial recall notice
I haven't even had that and the battery pack in mine was built in early January 2020.
What did your email/letter actually say?
Cheers,
Phil
Manto
Noobie

Post by Manto »

You have been identified as the current registered owner of a Hyundai Kona Electric Electric Vehicle (EV). If you are not the current registered owner or otherwise not in possession of this vehicle, please refer specifically to Part C below.

Part A. Defect, Hazard and Remedy
You may be aware or have recently read in the media that HMC has decided to implement a safety recall in respect of certain models of Hyundai Kona Electric. The recall is to address a potential condition with the battery in these vehicles which could result in a fire. The potential condition can be remedied by a battery replacement. HMC is initiating this recall action to ensure the safety of its vehicles and the continued satisfaction of its customers.

As a Hyundai Motor Company Australia (HMCA) customer, your safety is paramount to us. HMCA has notified the recall to relevant Australian regulatory authorities, and is currently working with HMC to implement recall action and remedy the identified condition for affected vehicles in Australia.

Part B. What to Do - Interim Safety Precaution
Until you are contacted with details of next steps to arrange replacement of the battery in your vehicle, as an important interim safety precaution please:
• Charge your Kona Electric to a maximum of 90% capacity.
• Do this via the Charge Management function as follows:
1. Press the green 'EV' icon on the main touch screen
2. Press the large battery icon within the 'Energy Information' box
3. Within 'Energy information' select 'DC Charger'
4. Set charging limit to 90 percent then press 'OK'
5. Within 'Energy information' select 'AC Charger'
6. Set charging limit to 90% then press 'OK'

Once you have taken the steps above, your vehicle battery will be set up to charge to a maximum of 90%.

Click here to watching a short video that illustrates this process. You can also find more information in your owner's manual (click here).

If you notice any warning lights [on your vehicle dashboard], please contact us (see Contact Details below).
Part C. Contact Details:
If you are not the owner of the vehicle affected by this recall because, for example:
1. the vehicle has been sold or transferred;
2. the vehicle is being leased and driven by another party; or
3. the vehicle is otherwise being primarily driven by a party not residing at the same address as you,
Please contact our Customer Care team on 1800 186 306.

Should you have any questions or require any further assistance at this time, you may also contact the HMCA Customer Care team.

We wish to assure you that HMCA is taking all steps necessary to implement the recall and will contact you with further details, including to arrange for replacement of the battery in your vehicle.

Yours sincerely,
The Hyundai Motor Company Australia team
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

Thanks for that. I haven't received that notice.
I'll contact them and see if I've been excluded from the list for some reason.
Cheers,
Phil
No__Ice
Noobie

Post by No__Ice »

battery update, i have just received my 2022 Kona electric and the battery speck says charge to 100% ac or dc :D
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

No__Ice wrote: Thu, 03 Jun 2021, 00:50 battery update, i have just received my 2022 Kona electric
Getting in early? :lol:
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

4Springs wrote: Thu, 03 Jun 2021, 19:20 Getting in early?
No, that's just marketing speak for the model released in 2021: "model year 2022".
No__Ice
Noobie

Post by No__Ice »

4Springs wrote: ↑Yesterday, 19:20
Getting in early?

Yes had it on order for 6 months, its the new smooth shape front with the M PM4 tires and 485KM range
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
barwonev
Groupie

Post by barwonev »

We need to park our Kona in our garage under our timber house. We charge in the garage and park there for security and protection from beachside salt. We have had all software updates and only charge to 80%. Yet we are still worried, noting from this video that 2 Konas have caught fire in spite of software updates. We are approaching Hyundai to pursue a buyback. We are pensioners who do not need this stress.

Transport Evolved YouTube report

https://youtu.be/vtnNzFMzW-Q
Cheers,
Brian
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - Ceramic Blue
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Apparently the Chevy Bolt has the same battery fire problem .
Overnight they were advised to park outside the garage due to another one going up.

The replacement program reminds me of the airbag one many brands are inflicted with……..endless warnings >
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

I thought the Bolts that had had fires had cells from the same period from the same LG factory as the Konas that had had fires, consistent with the idea that it was a problem with the separators and/or folded over tabs inside the cell casings.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

barwonev wrote: Fri, 02 Jul 2021, 05:43 We need to park our Kona in our garage under our timber house. We charge in the garage and park there for security and protection from beachside salt. We have had all software updates and only charge to 80%. Yet we are still worried, noting from this video that 2 Konas have caught fire in spite of software updates. We are approaching Hyundai to pursue a buyback. We are pensioners who do not need this stress...
I would hope that Hyundai could prioritise their battery replacements so that people in this situation go first and others who are happy to get more miles on their old battery go last.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Peter C in Canberra wrote: Fri, 16 Jul 2021, 08:42 I thought the Bolts that had had fires had cells from the same period from the same LG factory as the Konas that had had fires, consistent with the idea that it was a problem with the separators and/or folded over tabs inside the cell casings.
A CNBC expansion - including not leaving the Bolt to charge unattended….one had been already been “repaired” : https://youtu.be/D9JN-P16zCU
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

The Tesla 4680 cell isn’t a given in my opinion either……..it only takes one.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

I went to my local blue drive dealer, with my Kona EV today (200 km trip) for the 30,000 km 24 month service. The service is basically check everything and refill the wind screen washer bottle. I got all the software / recall up dates and the plastic cover on my EVSE.
When I picked up the car, the fellow there was a bit confused because there was no oil used, and I explained that it was an EV and that is probably why. I asked about the battery replacement and have they heard any news on when we are likely to see them happening. They said they " know nothing about it, and gee that would would be expensive. I did see a thing on face book last night about all these dumped EVs in a paddock with faulty batteries." I said "can I have my keys and perhaps you should fact check that." They did have the car "charging" for me for my trip home though. It was plugged into their powered EVSE, the maximum charge had been changed to 100% but the time was still set for off peak hours, so therefore it was not actually charging. I do not understand why the car has to go to a blue drive dealership for this.