Kona EV Brake recall!!

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
barwonev
Groupie

Kona EV Brake recall!!

Post by barwonev »

Another Kona EV recall!!!!

We have just received a recall for the Integrated Electronic Brake software. What is going on with Hyundai and Kona EVs? More inconvenience! Surely this could have been planned to coincide with battery recall?
Cheers,
Brian
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - Ceramic Blue
LORAX
Groupie

Re: Kona EV Brake recall!!

Post by LORAX »

Yep got mine in the inbox too.
When I phoned the Dealer service centre to book in they had no idea about it! :roll:
... and then proceeded to tell me I couldn't get it in until the 29th to have this 'urgent' brake recall addressed! :x
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

The recall states
What is the defect?
The subject vehicles are equipped with an Integrated Electronic Brake (IEB) system that might illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and significantly reduce braking performance upon detection of an abnormal sensor signal.
What is the hazard?
Reduced braking power could extend the vehicle's stopping distance and increase the risk of a crash. Ensure caution is taken while driving.
So what does reduced braking power actually mean? Is there a delay in engaging? The amount of braking applied? what kind of stopping distance are we talking? A little more information from Hyundai on how I alter my driving style to be more cautious would be helpful here.
Lorax

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
reecho

Post by reecho »

barwonev wrote: Fri, 18 Dec 2020, 12:16 Another Kona EV recall!!!!

We have just received a recall for the Integrated Electronic Brake software. What is going on with Hyundai and Kona EVs? More inconvenience! Surely this could have been planned to coincide with battery recall?
Would you prefer they not be proactive in rectifying issues? A few manufacturers spring to mind.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Very annoying. After 45'000km without a single hickup, they want to modify my car to charge slower and break "differently". Does that mean regen less?
Will affect the amazing regen available? Not impossible as I once experienced a loss of grip while maximum regening on a steep decent in the rain, and the car reacted in a very strange way by turning regen fully off but not engaging the breaks immediatly, so it took me half a second to react and slam on the break. But at that point the breaks worked perfectly, heavily engaging the ABS as expected.
I would rather they did a recall to replace the sub-optimal Nexen tires and equip our Konas with the Michelin Primacy 4 as per the Europeen models.
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - 124Wh/km from new
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf - Bought in Jan 2021 with 45'000km
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Thanks Patrick. Well that helps me to understand what the fault might be at least.

Spent the afternoon on the phone yesterday trying to get technical information about the actual fault and what to expect if the fault were to occur while driving - but to say those who I spoke to were useless was way too complimentary. Well at least when a tree fell across the road in front of me last Thursday in regional WA my emergency braking worked (was doing 60km/hr). My heart continued to work also. :shock: Near miss and the braking worked fine.
Lorax

4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

EVdownUnder wrote: Fri, 18 Dec 2020, 21:52 Will affect the amazing regen available?
Have a look in your user manual about the different error codes that can be displayed on the dash. One is for a fault with the braking system. My interpretation of the recall description is that in certain situations a fault is recognised when there is no fault present. The car goes into a 'faulty brakes' mode when it shouldn't.
The repair is to update the software so that the particular glitch won't happen. So it will not affect any aspects of normal operation, just prevent the abnormal 'fault' condition.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Thank you Chris. I’m sure you’re right.
And the Lorax, don’t worry about what happened to me. It was just physics. I was holding the left paddle in, so the car was trying to go to a stop using 2 wheels only with energy efficient tyres down-hill in the rain. No magic.
And I’m guessing It must be a even worse with a RWD EV.
I’m hoping that my next EV is 4WD or at least 3WD 8-)
My Aptera reservation is secured. That is if this car ever makes it to Australia.
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - 124Wh/km from new
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf - Bought in Jan 2021 with 45'000km
KylieKona
Noobie

Post by KylieKona »

Well my recall will be easy. They still have my Kona awaiting a new BMS from the last recall.

Will the AEVA be interested in backing a class action? I selected the Kona because of its charging distance and if these recalls keep reducing that, I would a pick a different car.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I think a class action is unlikely. There was a collection of names of folks who were keen on pressuring Nissan about their lousy battery packs in the 2012 Leafs, but in the end, most of those people went out and bought new EVs with better batteries. Most concluded it wouldn't be worth the hassle, and for many an 80 km range was still entirely useful.

Hyundai are clearly quite embarrassed about the Kona issues, but I don't think limiting the pack's available capacity will be all that noticeable.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

I had my car in for the software update for this brake recall this morning.
Quickly done - car back to me within the hour.

Only thing I noticed is that when I got in the car all my regen settings were changed and I had to reconfigure to auto regen setting which I find highly efficient and suits my driving.
Lorax

Roger-c
Noobie

Post by Roger-c »

I got it too, another one Im not bothering with.
If they want to do things to my car, they can come to me.
I got a registered post letter from Hyundai about the Battery fire issue, just so they could make sure I know about it, but there is still no way I'm driving 3 hours to get a 15 minute update doen, then 3 hours back. It's their problem.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

Roger-c wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 20:00 I got it too, another one Im not bothering with.
I got a registered post letter from Hyundai about the Battery fire issue, just so they could make sure I know about it, but there is still no way I'm driving 3 hours to get a 15 minute update doen, then 3 hours back. It's their problem.
They may no longer be liable if your battery catches on fire now.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Roger-c wrote: Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 20:00 I got it too, another one Im not bothering with.
It's my understanding that non Blue Drive dealers can apply these software updates. Why not reach out to Hyundai customer service and see if that's an option?
norminHK
Noobie

Post by norminHK »

EVdownUnder wrote: Fri, 18 Dec 2020, 21:52 Very annoying. After 45'000km without a single hickup, they want to modify my car to charge slower and break "differently". Does that mean regen less?
Will affect the amazing regen available? Not impossible as I once experienced a loss of grip while maximum regening on a steep decent in the rain, and the car reacted in a very strange way by turning regen fully off but not engaging the breaks immediatly, so it took me half a second to react and slam on the break. But at that point the breaks worked perfectly, heavily engaging the ABS as expected.
I would rather they did a recall to replace the sub-optimal Nexen tires and equip our Konas with the Michelin Primacy 4 as per the Europeen models.
Guys I'm writing from HK, and I drive a 2020 Kona EV. I'm wondering about your recall down there. I've been in an accident as the regenerative brake failed on a mild incline. It had happened before on a steeper incline, but I thought I was imagining things and was able to slam on the brakes before I got into real trouble. As for the accident, I was gliding to a stop at maybe 10mph tops. There was not a lot of margin for error, and by the time I realized the regen had failed and slammed the brakes I had hit a car in front of me. It could have been much worse. Hyundai HK hadn't even called the brake recall - when I called to ask about it, after finding multiple references online, they in fact hadn't even heard about it.
Would like to learn more about anyone else's similar experience, or any feedback on the car post the recall. HK is a very hilly place and I feel like this is a far worse accident potentially waiting to happen.
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

norminHK wrote: Fri, 29 Jan 2021, 17:03 ...Would like to learn more about anyone else's similar experience, or any feedback on the car post the recall....
I did not have any problem pre-recall and don't notice any difference post recall.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
norminHK
Noobie

Post by norminHK »

Cheers Peter

I only had the problem once before the accident, but it was also going downhill. Hyundai HK has told me the regen will shut down if the battery is fully charged, but neither time was my battery full.
Peter C in Canberra

norminHK wrote: Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 14:13 Cheers Peter

I only had the problem once before the accident, but it was also going downhill. Hyundai HK has told me the regen will shut down if the battery is fully charged, but neither time was my battery full.
I only ever charge to 100% before a longer trip out of town. Otherwise the car is programmed to stop at 80%.
A previous car we owned, a 2012 Mitsubishi iMIEV would always charge to full unless stopped manually and we always leave home going downhill. It would have no regen for that first downhill run of a few 100m - if the battery is already full, how can it absorb any more energy?. After the first up-hill, the next few 100m, regen was completely normal. I didn't think this was a fault, just how it was.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
norminHK
Noobie

Post by norminHK »

yep, but as I said - my battery was NOT fully charged either time. Like you the hills where I have had problems are near my apartment, but I don't have charging at home. At most I think my battery may have been 85% charged either time, but it was definitely not any closer to fully charged either time.

I feel like if the regen brake is going to randomly shut down that is something that Hyundai should make clear.

I hope this problem is just my car, but from the global recall my guess is I'm not alone.
barwonev
Groupie

Post by barwonev »

We are taking our Kona into a local non EV Hyundai dealer to get the brake software updated. In addition to this IEB update, they told my wife there are also DTC and BMS updates for our car. Any idea what the last two are for?

I should add we have already had the original BMS update applied and assume this is an update to that?
Cheers,
Brian
Peter C in Canberra

barwonev wrote: Fri, 05 Feb 2021, 10:39 We are taking our Kona into a local non EV Hyundai dealer to get the brake software updated. In addition to this IEB update, they told my wife there are also DTC and BMS updates for our car. Any idea what the last two are for?

I should add we have already had the original BMS update applied and assume this is an update to that?
I don't know what they do but they are 'service campaigns', not 'recalls'. Service campaigns are non-urgent things that dealers are supposed to look out for and do when a car is next in for something else. They could be just tweaks like the Tesla folk get over the air and crow about.
barwonev
Groupie

Post by barwonev »

barwonev wrote: Fri, 05 Feb 2021, 10:39 We are taking our Kona into a local non EV Hyundai dealer to get the brake software updated. In addition to this IEB update, they told my wife there are also DTC and BMS updates for our car. Any idea what the last two are for?

Unfortunately, Hyundai Geelong was unable to download these new software updates even after several attempts. We will now wait until May and our 12-month service to drive to the nearest Blue Drive dealer in Werribee.

Geelong is Victoria's 2nd largest city and having no Blue Drive dealer will certainly impact new Ioniq sales. Both Nissan (Leaf), BMW (Mini), Jaguar (e-Pace), and maybe Audi sell and service EVs in Geelong.
Cheers,
Brian
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

We had ours done on Monday.
Non-Blue Drive dealership, Motors Launceston.
Booked in for 8am, they showed me a list of three software updates to be done (we'd had the BMS update done a couple of months ago). I had received an email notification for one of these - the brake one that this thread is talking about. Motors were not keen to give me an estimated time of completion, as they hadn't done these before, and they know things like this can take a long time.
It was ready by about 12pm. They said it took quite a while, as their tablet PC had to have several upgrades itself to get the software to work.
I haven't noticed any difference in the car, other than it had been washed!
Quite a decent experience, didn't cost a cent.
barwonev
Groupie

Post by barwonev »

4Springs wrote: Thu, 11 Feb 2021, 04:22
They said it took quite a while, as their tablet PC had to have several upgrades itself to get the software to work.
Geelong Hyundai (a non-Blue Drive dealer) also successfully installed the first BMS update a few months ago but failed this time. Maybe they didn't bother to upgrade their tablet PC. I've notified Hyundai HQ who told us Geelong would do the update but don't hold out much hope of Geelong helping us.
Cheers,
Brian