Hyundai will recall Kona EV models over faulty battery cells

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
LORAX
Groupie

Re: Hyundai will recall Kona EV models over faulty battery cells

Post by LORAX »

This was on the Inside EV forum the other half is following - Class Action in Korea.
Owners want compensation for depreciated value - $7200 USD, also a new battery pack:
https://insideevs.com/news/455152/hyund ... -ev-fires/
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
NickJP
Noobie

Post by NickJP »

Our update for the battery problem was done a couple of weeks ago. Since then, every time we charge (single phase Zappi charger on a 32A circuit), when the charge has completed, rather than the green LEDs surrounding the charge socket extinguishing, the surround shows as yellow instead, and the next time the car is powered on, we see the warning message below:

The vehicle still charges to the 80% set on the console, the error and charge logs on the Zappi don't show anything at all, and there have been no firmware changes on the Zappi charger. As the warning first appeared after the Kona software was updated, I tend to think that this problem is related to the software update on the vehicle and not to the charger.
Roger-c
Noobie

Post by Roger-c »

They need to come with me, I am NOT driving 600km for a 15 min update. Plus Im driving from tas to Qld on the 12th, so I might be able to get it done in Bris.
mpfl
Noobie

Post by mpfl »

Update took over an hour for me, but I doubt that will have any effect on your desire to drive 600km.

As it is, it looks like a second recall is underway, this time for the brakes.
reecho

Post by reecho »

mpfl wrote: Wed, 09 Dec 2020, 12:45 Update took over an hour for me, but I doubt that will have any effect on your desire to drive 600km.

As it is, it looks like a second recall is underway, this time for the brakes.
There's also a third campaign as well which adds a "condom" to the supplied EVSE.
mpfl
Noobie

Post by mpfl »

reecho wrote: Wed, 09 Dec 2020, 14:45 There's also a third campaign as well which adds a "condom" to the supplied EVSE.
Oh, that's just lovely! Do you have a URL with more information?
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

mpfl wrote: Thu, 10 Dec 2020, 10:10 Oh, that's just lovely! Do you have a URL with more information?
This page allows you to check if your Hyundai vehicle is subject to any safety recalls. https://www.hyundai.com/au/en/owning/safety-recalls
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
reecho

Post by reecho »

mpfl wrote: Thu, 10 Dec 2020, 10:10
reecho wrote: Wed, 09 Dec 2020, 14:45 There's also a third campaign as well which adds a "condom" to the supplied EVSE.
Oh, that's just lovely! Do you have a URL with more information?
Not for AU just yet.
128334890_2790086314653907_9214822214366224447_o.jpg
128334890_2790086314653907_9214822214366224447_o.jpg (62.2 KiB) Viewed 360 times
128505044_2790086384653900_3238467754056802040_o (1).jpg
128505044_2790086384653900_3238467754056802040_o (1).jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 360 times
KylieKona
Noobie

Post by KylieKona »

Hi all, Hyundai have had my Kona on this recall for over a month. I've been required to call them weekly to get my hire car renewed and to remind them to send my $50 voucher for petrol (I HATE GETTING PETROL!). Dealership and customer care have not been communicating. I was informed that new BMS's would not be available in Australia until 15/12 and now they say they are not available (clearly all gone out in Sydney). I have no chance of getting my car before the holidays and with only 2 technicians in Tasmania unlikely in January. I need some help here. Next step is letter to head of Hyundai Aus/ AsiaPac. Any info would be appreciated.
Maustrauser
Noobie

Post by Maustrauser »

This sounds very strange. Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know it is a simple software update. Mine was done within a week of the recall (Canberra). What do they mean that they are waiting for new battery management systems? While you are at it get them to do the brake software update which is their latest recall! Sigh - I guess this is the problem with being at the cutting edge of technology. Best of luck!
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Yes, and after all this time waiting for EVs over the years, malfunctioning EV's and other mainstream vehicles, and waiting for Christmas through all those school years, I'm sort-of resigned to that status :)
And it's great to have to buy petrol for a very short time but not a long time.
These cars sound very good, following the messages and they will be better with support, from Hyundai, forget those in the middle. Those in the middle don't know what they'll be doing in 10 years, unfortunately. Best wishes to them as well, I hope they find some middle ground. They should try hard to prepare for it.
reecho

Post by reecho »

KylieKona wrote: Sun, 20 Dec 2020, 07:18 Hi all, Hyundai have had my Kona on this recall for over a month. I've been required to call them weekly to get my hire car renewed and to remind them to send my $50 voucher for petrol (I HATE GETTING PETROL!). Dealership and customer care have not been communicating. I was informed that new BMS's would not be available in Australia until 15/12 and now they say they are not available (clearly all gone out in Sydney). I have no chance of getting my car before the holidays and with only 2 technicians in Tasmania unlikely in January. I need some help here. Next step is letter to head of Hyundai Aus/ AsiaPac. Any info would be appreciated.
You mean you had the BMS update and after that it was determined the battery pack requires replacing which is now in transit?
KylieKona
Noobie

Post by KylieKona »

Yes I had the BMS software update. But it apparently not only keeps the packs from overcharging, but it detects any that might be a problem. I fell into the latter. Wouldn't start the next day after a full charge. Now awaiting new BMS module from Korea (or whereever LG make them).