Kona EV charging using Tesla AC home/mobile charger

Hyundai Interest Group
kartikatre
Noobie

Kona EV charging using Tesla AC home/mobile charger

Post by kartikatre »

Hi,

We are about to become a 2-EV household and are adding a Kona EV MY20 to a Tesla Model 3. I have a the Tesla High powered wall charger installed and also the Tesla Mobile charger (Gen 2) with a 32 amp 5-pin 3-phase plug.

Question is can I use the Tesla Mobile charger (Gen 2) to charge the Kona? With 32 amp tail, I should be able to provide the max 7.2kW that the Kona can charge at. Any hidden issues/dangers?

I wish to avoid a dedicated Kona Wall charger if I can as I already have a 32-amp 5-pin 3phase socket in the garage.

Also, I have read that the Tesla High powered wall charger (destination charger) doesn't work with non-Tesla vehicles. Is this true?

Any help from mixed Tesla/Kona owners (or electrical engineers) would be appreciated.
Thanks heaps!
-Kartik
jonescg

Re: Kona EV charging using Tesla AC home/mobile charger

Post by jonescg »

If the three-phase HPWC was an early model, it should charge the Kona. If it was a later model one, it might not. There's something on the serial code that gives it away.
Or just plug in and see.

Two EV household! That's commitment!

Cheers,
Chris
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
kartikatre
Noobie

Post by kartikatre »

Thanks Chris!

Any ideas if the mobile charger (UMC-Gen 2 with 32 amp plug) will charge the Kona?

As to the commitment, we have gone all-in! Including solar and Tesla Battery. It is the future, even if our politicians refuse to acknowledge it. My only worry is - Australia may become the dumping ground for old ICE vehicles once the world moves on. :cry:

Cheers,
K
reecho

Post by reecho »

kartikatre wrote: Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 14:31 Thanks Chris!

Any ideas if the mobile charger (UMC-Gen 2 with 32 amp plug) will charge the Kona?

As to the commitment, we have gone all-in! Including solar and Tesla Battery. It is the future, even if our politicians refuse to acknowledge it. My only worry is - Australia may become the dumping ground for old ICE vehicles once the world moves on. :cry:

Cheers,
K
No The UMC and HPWC's provided with the Model 3 are locked to Tesla.
kartikatre
Noobie

Post by kartikatre »

reecho wrote: Thu, 01 Oct 2020, 19:27
kartikatre wrote: Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 14:31 Thanks Chris!

Cheers,
K
No The UMC and HPWC's provided with the Model 3 are locked to Tesla.
Ah! Thank you. I thought as much. Was hoping against hope.