Kona cargo area and pets

Hyundai Interest Group
LORAX
Groupie

Kona cargo area and pets

Post by LORAX »

HI,

Still waiting for my Kona - only 2 mths and 25 days to go :shock:

Wondering if someone could give me the specific measurements for the cargo area and provide any solutions to keeping a dog in the back. We have typically used a cargo barrier (which is not available for the Kona electric) and I also want to protect the back, particularly as first time with leather.

With respect to protecting the car, looking at something like a boot liners (e.g. https://www.amazon.com.au/PETCUTE-Boot- ... es&sr=1-89). What I need is the actual measurements for the boot (Height to roof in boot at back of rear seats, height to roof in boot at tailgate, and length of boot from back of seats to tailgate) so that I can pre order the boot liner.

Also, has anyone come up with a solution to the cargo barrier for keeping a dog in the back cargo area?

thanks in advance for any advice.
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
jonescg

Re: Kona cargo area and pets

Post by jonescg »

I can't say, but I do know the Kona has far less space than even the Ioniq.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

Hyundai sells a nice boot liner which we asked for as part of delivery. I have had one in every car I've owned and they are worth every cent.

I just measured my boot for you. It's about 102cm wide, 70cm deep and 45cm from the boot floor to the position of the removable shelf. We hardly put the shelf in because it limits the available boot space too often. There is considerable extra space between the shelf and the door glass.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Thats perfect - exactly the dimensions I was after.

Yes we have had a boot liner in every car we've owned, including our last three Hyundai cars. Included in the order for our Kona EV, but wanted something that goes up the sides to protect the plastic/leather that the boot liner doesn't protect as this has been the bit the dog tends to scratch trying to look up over the back seats. :roll:
Lorax

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Hi,
Thought I would add an update. My pet liner has now arrived (https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0 ... UTF8&psc=1) ... still waiting on the car! :roll:

Once I get the car (apparently first week of November) I'll take a photo in situ for those interested. We took our border collie x on a test run in the back of the i30 to see how he would go. Not the same luxury of the Sante Fe, but he could move around and get comfortable to lie down, so hopefully all will be good in the Kona.
Lorax

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

We had a harness for our now-deceased dog. It had a seatbelt loop. A rug on the back seat and the seatbelt through the loop constrained the dog and would have prevented it from flying forwards in an accident.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Yes not all harnesses are the same, and only two have passed safety testing (I think they were Ezydog and Sleepypod) . The other half doesn't like the concept of the harness and thinks less damage to the dog (in an accident) secured in the back. Hence I persevere with making the back work, although personally I prefer the harness concept.

I think there are also different rules/guidelines depending upon which state you live.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice ... elts-67632
Lorax

LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Now that I have my Kona, thought I would share what I ended up doing.

So I bought a canvas back seat cover and the ezydog harness and 'attempted' our trip down south with the dog.

FAIL STORY The harness was securely attached (Border collie/Kelpie x) and slipped the seat belt through and plugged in. Highly anxious dog thereafter. He managed to sit, turn and move slightly, but nothing more. 20 minutes down the freeway I had a free range dog who had somehow extract himself from the belt and harness!!!

So ....

SUCCESS STORY So I rearranged everything from the back boot area into the back seat, including the blind cover. Placed his rugs on the rubber mat (best buy) and plonked him in. He was able to comfortably stand without hitting his head, although the back window was awfully close. I had the head rests at their maximum height. HE was happy, settled, the panting stopped and is lay down for the occasional sit up and look around. Depending on the angle, a bit of sun does come through, but in all, travelling through the middle of the day on a moderately hot day (30ish), he was cool and happy for the remaining 2 1/2 hr trip.
Lorax