Has Anyone Swapped Out The Nexen Tyres on Kona?

Hyundai Interest Group
Peter C in Canberra

Re: Has Anyone Swapped Out The Nexen Tyres on Kona?

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

LORAX wrote: Mon, 21 Sep 2020, 07:08
The Nexen will actually loose traction down a steep hill if pulling the left paddle, which causes the car to activate full panic emergency breaking but only half a second after fully disengaging regen all together. Very scary the first time it happens.
Ok ... I was actually planning such a driving style as the windy road to Bridgetown usually requires down hill braking ... so good to know. I assume this doesn't happen if in cruise control mode?

Will enquire today about swapping out and changeover costs.
Cruise control uses regen to maintain the set speed downhill. I drive with level 3 regen all the time anyway. Regen is not just on/off; you modulate how much with your right foot. Going down a steep hill with regen level 3 is like being in a lower gear in a manual petrol car without the screaming high revs.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

If using the break peddle to slow down hard, the car will use regen to the maximum possible before engaging the breaks.
The beauty of using the left paddle pulled continuously is that regardless of the speed or incline, the car will never engage the breaks until the car is stopped.
The down-side is of course that being a 2WD, the breaking force is only applied to 2 wheels. I would imagine that a rear wheel drive, better under acceleration, would actually be worse for hard regen on a wet downhill road.
Despite the limitations, I use the left paddle all the way to stop 98% of the time. More free energy and my brake pads should last the life of the car.
One other thing to keep in mind, and one more reason not to charge to 100% all the time, is that the maximum regen is not a fixed value. If the car is fully charge, regen 3 or holding the left paddle will decelerate slower than with a battery at 60%.
The regen paddles as implemented by Hyundai are the best inventions since gravity.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
xpaceseven
Noobie

Post by xpaceseven »

I run Xice in the winter and noticed very little difference when I swapped for the OEM Nexens. Of course, that's a winter tire compared to a summer one. But don't forget that the Nexens are EV tires, designed to be hard and efficient. You won't find many EV choices designed with noise or comfort in mind. Not yet anyway.
mpfl
Noobie

Post by mpfl »

A bit of a long shot - does anyone in Perth have a spare Nexen tyre as a result of swapping to the Michelins?

Just got a serious puncture in one tyre that might not be repairable. There is no stock of Michelins in Australia, and even getting a Nexen into WA will take a couple of weeks.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Hi.

Sorry, I didn't get to change mine over pre delivery, so don't have a spare Nexen. I always used TyrePower in Willetton here in Perth. The manager there is fantastic and might be able to provide you some guidance. Certainly my last conversation with him was that there were a few enviro options available for the Kona when I was ready.

Good luck.
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
Manto
Noobie

Post by Manto »

Finally got to do a road trip with the primacy tires and am very happy with them. Got efficiencies I havent seen with the nexens with one run from Ballarat to Doncaster 130km and got 12kwh and never seen anything like that before. Apart from that the ride, comfort and grip are way up and tire noise is way down. Winner winner
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Manto wrote: Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:48 Finally got to do a road trip with the primacy tires and am very happy with them. Got efficiencies I havent seen with the nexens with one run from Ballarat to Doncaster 130km and got 12kwh and never seen anything like that before. Apart from that the ride, comfort and grip are way up and tire noise is way down. Winner winner
Sounds like I'd better work harder on wearing out the Nexens then ... will try to reduce the 'eco' driving points and up the 'aggressive' ones. :twisted:
AEVA Vic vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

Someone had already put some really sticky sports tyres on my Kona before I got it. They really screw up the efficiency but the good news is they will probably wear out fairly quickly.

Hopefully though the local speedway will reopen first, it has a drag strip that is only 1/8 of a mile long. I have my old farmers hat ready and we will see who this nutter might upset first.
One of the good things about electric cars is that I already know what my times will be ( but I won't be telling) and can find out who I will beat.
reecho

Post by reecho »

brunohill wrote: Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 21:54 Someone had already put some really sticky sports tyres on my Kona before I got it. They really screw up the efficiency but the good news is they will probably wear out fairly quickly.

Hopefully though the local speedway will reopen first, it has a drag strip that is only 1/8 of a mile long. I have my old farmers hat ready and we will see who this nutter might upset first.
One of the good things about electric cars is that I already know what my times will be ( but I won't be telling) and can find out who I will beat.
Ah yes times are consistant..!!

https://youtu.be/ODztg8Z9NGo