Has Anyone Swapped Out The Nexen Tyres on Kona?

Hyundai Interest Group
syntaxfx
Groupie

Has Anyone Swapped Out The Nexen Tyres on Kona?

Post by syntaxfx »

After a short but "interesting" drive this morning, I'm looking at swapping the Nexen tyres for something else with more grip.
Has anyone else done this? If so, what did you choose and how have they performed?
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
reecho

Re: Has Anyone Swapped Out The Nexen Tyres on Kona?

Post by reecho »

syntaxfx wrote: Tue, 05 May 2020, 12:13 After a short but "interesting" drive this morning, I'm looking at swapping the Nexen tyres for something else with more grip.
Has anyone else done this? If so, what did you choose and how have they performed?
Considering new ones. Still would like to know for sure what Michelin tyres they now fit to euro built cars. I thought they were Primacy but now i'm not so sure.
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

CarAdvice Australia upgraded their tyres to Michelin PS4 on their long term test. Grip better, noise up, range down. See link
I considered swapping out at dealer but have held off until we get some miles under our belts.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/801358/kon ... lin-tyres/
Cheers,
Brian
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - Ceramic Blue
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

Thanks for the replies.
Like you reecho, I'm under the impression that they went for the Primacy 4.
I decided to try them because a rubber band with a vaseline coating would have been better in the wet.
So far:
1) The grip is way better in both wet and dry
2) The road noise is noticeably reduced.

I haven't tested the range yet. That will take a week or two.

The tyre retailer offered a 1 month satisfaction guarantee, so I've got a little time to decide.
Anybody need a set of 4 Nexen 215/55 R17 with 1500km on them? :lol:
Cheers,
Phil
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

The Michelin Primacy look like a good option. Did you notice any of the CarAdvice experiences they had with the PS4? Admittedly a more sports focused Tyre.

“ You also get a lot more torque steer than before. Whereas the car would spin its wheels under power with the old boots fitted, it now has the grip to put it down.
The result is a steering wheel that tugs determinedly from side to side when you mat the accelerator, in a manner that'd be familiar to Ford Focus ST owners.”
Cheers,
Brian
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

barwonev wrote: Wed, 06 May 2020, 10:39 The Michelin Primacy look like a good option. Did you notice any of the CarAdvice experiences they had with the PS4? Admittedly a more sports focused Tyre.

“ You also get a lot more torque steer than before. Whereas the car would spin its wheels under power with the old boots fitted, it now has the grip to put it down.
The result is a steering wheel that tugs determinedly from side to side when you mat the accelerator, in a manner that'd be familiar to Ford Focus ST owners.”
There is a bit, but I'll live with the torque steer if it means I get better grip.
Anyway, I'm not one for flooring it these days. The passenger in chief doesn't like it. ;)
Cheers,
Phil
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

Yes, my driving has been tempered by my better half.

I just did some research and found this translation from Norwegian tek.no site...

“ Hyundai Kona was already one of the electric cars on the market with the longest range in its class, but now Hyundai is taking further steps.
New tires from March
Namely, cars produced from March 2020 will come with new Michelin Primacy 4 tires, and this will have an impact on the range.
It increases from 449 to 484 kilometers WLTP. That brings Kona up past corporate sister Kia's e-Niro, which has operated with a 455-kilometer WLTP range.
Tesla's Model 3, for its part, has a range of 409 kilometers in the Standard Range Plus edition, 560 kilometers in the Long Range edition.
Michelin Primacy 4 was also number five out of eight last of our colleagues in Motor tested summer tires, both in total and in discipline consumption.
Product and Public Relations Manager Øyvind Lillestrøm Knudsen in Hyundai Norway writes in an e-mail that no other changes have been made that affect the range.
- The range has been increased through optimization with new tires. There is no information to indicate that anything has been done with battery capacity or the buffer in this, he writes in an e-mail.
More minor adjustments
In addition, the suspension setup is adjusted, which should also improve driving characteristics, according to Hyundai. Also, the button that turns off the virtual engine sound at low speeds is removed. This is now a requirement, so the system must always be turned on at speeds of up to 30 kilometers per hour.”
Cheers,
Brian
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

How timely!
I just returned from my usual tyre shop in Upper Ferntree Gully (Melbourne). Had to fix the family ICE car puncture (not only does this thing smell, vibrates and make noise, it also gets punctures...). So of course I asked them about the Michelin Primacy 4. Which until recently was not easy to find in Melbourne for some reason.
Yes the Kona in Europe is now fitted with the Michelin Primacy 4.
Recommended retail is $215, they could do them at $189 and in stock. So tempting!
But like most of you I'm only at 23'000km and can't justify.
And as per all YouTube or written reviews I've seen, the tyre guy that I trust in that shop confirmed that the Primacy 4 is one of the quietest tyre on the market.
And from the new WLTP range of 484km (please keep in mind that the chassis modifications are probably a bigger factor in the range increase), we can assume that the range should be the same or better.
Hell I'd buy them for the noise or grip only. Now as they grip better, make less noise AND are efficient tyres, it's a no-brainer really. They are part of the Michelin "Energy" range after all.
Now I just need to drive like a maniac for a few months so I can justify replacing those sub-optimal Nexen tyres.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
reecho

Post by reecho »

barwonev wrote: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:17 Yes, my driving has been tempered by my better half.

I just did some research and found this translation from Norwegian tek.no site...

“ Hyundai Kona was already one of the electric cars on the market with the longest range in its class, but now Hyundai is taking further steps.
New tires from March
Namely, cars produced from March 2020 will come with new Michelin Primacy 4 tires, and this will have an impact on the range.
It increases from 449 to 484 kilometers WLTP. That brings Kona up past corporate sister Kia's e-Niro, which has operated with a 455-kilometer WLTP range.
Tesla's Model 3, for its part, has a range of 409 kilometers in the Standard Range Plus edition, 560 kilometers in the Long Range edition.
Michelin Primacy 4 was also number five out of eight last of our colleagues in Motor tested summer tires, both in total and in discipline consumption.
Product and Public Relations Manager Øyvind Lillestrøm Knudsen in Hyundai Norway writes in an e-mail that no other changes have been made that affect the range.
- The range has been increased through optimization with new tires. There is no information to indicate that anything has been done with battery capacity or the buffer in this, he writes in an e-mail.
More minor adjustments
In addition, the suspension setup is adjusted, which should also improve driving characteristics, according to Hyundai. Also, the button that turns off the virtual engine sound at low speeds is removed. This is now a requirement, so the system must always be turned on at speeds of up to 30 kilometers per hour.”
As a side note it appears that the 2020 Kona in Europe has Primacy MXM4 tyres fitted which is also fitted by Tesla on some models. In any rate the (available locally) Primacy 4's are a very good choice..
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

I finally got to do a decent highway run on Friday with the new Primacy 4 tyres:

Sydney to Mittagong NRMA Charging Station via M2, M7 and Hume Motorway (this is a very long, gradual climb. Mostly 100 and 110km/h zones to Mittagong exit): 186Wh/km. avg. speed 96km/h.
Mittagong to Berrima via Mount Gibraltar and Bowral (significant hill climb and descent): 160Wh/km avg. speed 49km/h.
Berrima to Sydney via Hume Motorway, Picton, Narellan, Hume Motorway, M7 and M2 (long, gradual descent): 132Wh/km avg. speed 87km/h.
Trip Avg. Consumption: 159Wh/km.
Trip Avg. speed 77km/h.
Total distance: 296km
Total payload including driver: 230kg
Climate Control: On (21deg. C.)
Outside Air Temp: 10 to 18deg. C.
Noise Level: Not metered, but conversation was easy, even for the passenger in the back seat. No need to raise voices to be heard. There were a couple of rough concrete sections that were a little louder but still ok. Occasional wind noise when cross wind gusts occurred.
Driving style: 70% Eco, 30% Normal, 0% Aggressive.

Given my driving style hasn't changed from how I drove my diesel, I don't think I've lost too much range with the new tyres. The average for the whole trip (including suburban areas) was only 0.9 kWh/100km worse than a run I did to Newcastle on the old tyres.
Cheers,
Phil
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

Here's an interesting article from Road & Track on fitting some very grippy tyres, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, to an e-Golf, and the results are not too bad for efficiency, but a vast improvement in road grip and handling.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/r ... ars-range/
Cheers,
Brian
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

Regards my post above on sticky tyres. I have now realised I misread the results. There is quite a big efficiency penalty for very sticky tyres
Cheers,
Brian
Manto
Noobie

Post by Manto »

Manto
Noobie

Post by Manto »

Swapped the Lexens for Michellen Primacy 3 st's and am loving the difference. Smoother, much quieter and tried flooring it from a standing start in Sport mode and no slip. The lexens will fit the wifes ice Kona :)
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

Manto wrote: Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 17:18 Swapped the Lexens for Michellen Primacy 3 st's and am loving the difference. Smoother, much quieter and tried flooring it from a standing start in Sport mode and no slip. The lexens will fit the wifes ice Kona :)
Excellent!
I did a run from Sydney to Coffs Harbour last week just to check that the Pacific Hwy was still there.
On close inspection, it seems to be intact and in fact It's a great run now because all the major roadworks were done. It's basically 100 to 110kph all the way to Coffs (except the section from Hexam to Heatherbrae).
Stopped at Karuah for a morning coffee (30mins) and Thrumster (Port Macquarie) for lunch (which took an hour because my other half insisted on going shopping at the IGA).
Average consumption was 16.2kWh/100km and avg. speed was ~90kph.
Given the P3's are very similar to the P4's, you're likely to get pretty good economy as well as a safer and quieter ride.
Cheers,
Phil
Manto
Noobie

Post by Manto »

Havent had a chance to do a road trip yet but cant wait. Around town I am seeing no difference in efficiency. But the ride and quietness is great. And much less chance of getting done for hooning as they dont lose grip
photomac
Groupie

Post by photomac »

Thanks for the tips everyone. Just got my second puncture on a second Nexen tyre ... screw yet again ... The improved mileage of Michelin Primacy is tempting. At what pressure though?
Yes,   we can.   Image
Hyundai Kona 64 v1 Sept 2019 onward. 00016 up to 7000+
Mitsubishi PHEV v1 Apr 2016 to Aug 2019 14500 to 72000km
Nissan LEAF v1.0 Nov 2013 to Apr 2016 00035 to 36000km
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

photomac wrote: Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 10:30 Thanks for the tips everyone. Just got my second puncture on a second Nexen tyre ... screw yet again ... The improved mileage of Michelin Primacy is tempting. At what pressure though?
I'm running them at 37psi (cold). The car indicates 41psi once they warm up.
Cheers,
Phil
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

I’m running the Nexen at 42psi cold. Still well below the allowed max, no difference to confort that I could detect, and gives me an average consumption from new of 12.7kWh/100km.
126Wh/km from new
OneDog
Noobie

Post by OneDog »

Swapped Nexen to Continental 94W MaxContact 6 on 27/8. Only done short trips in the suburbs and two trips to Baldivis and back (freeway).
Power use changed from average of 13 to 15 kWh/100km so far.
Bob

[ Edited Coulomb: fixed units ]
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

This person swapped the tyres for some Michelins and then got 101kWh/100km.
https://youtu.be/hneE5-37PUw
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Obviously they had some fun with that hill time trial. Interesting what they said about the handling, so assume some adjustment in my driving style for the windy roads to Bridgetown (WA) will be needed (when my car finally arrives). Trying to work out whether to change out the tyres on delivery or not (at least I might get something back for the Nexen tyres).
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

LORAX wrote: Sun, 20 Sep 2020, 10:39 Trying to work out whether to change out the tyres on delivery or not (at least I might get something back for the Nexen tyres).
Had I had the idea at the time, I would have not hesitated one second. Especially after talking to my local tyre shop who confirmed that yes they would have given me some money (never asked how much) for the brand new Nexen.
Even though I drive like a retiree in a Volvo most of the times, I would have done it for the rare treat of a full squirt and for the wet. On a wet road, it would actually be for safety.
The Nexen will actually loose traction down a steep hill if pulling the left paddle, which causes the car to activate full panic emergency breaking but only half a second after fully disengaging regen all together. Very scary the first time it happens.
126Wh/km from new
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

LORAX wrote: Sun, 20 Sep 2020, 10:39 Trying to work out whether to change out the tyres on delivery or not (at least I might get something back for the Nexen tyres).
Another vote for doing it on delivery.
Without actually testing this, I reckon our Kona has a greater stopping distance than our 1992 Brumby. Wide, soft tyres on the Brumby.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

The Nexen will actually loose traction down a steep hill if pulling the left paddle, which causes the car to activate full panic emergency breaking but only half a second after fully disengaging regen all together. Very scary the first time it happens.
Ok ... I was actually planning such a driving style as the windy road to Bridgetown usually requires down hill braking ... so good to know. I assume this doesn't happen if in cruise control mode?

Will enquire today about swapping out and changeover costs.
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss