New Kona Owner: home charging advice sought

Hyundai Interest Group
barwonev
Noobie

New Kona Owner: home charging advice sought

Post by barwonev »

I'm a long term browser of this site, but this is my first post. Hello to all.

Today we are picking up our new 2020 Kona Electric Highlander.

I have been researching home chargers for some time and would like to invest in a 7kw home charger. We are a retired couple who normally won't do more than 1000-1500 kms per month, but the current health crisis will restrict that too much less than that. So for the short term, we will use the Hyundai supplied trickle charger. I should add we have 5kw of solar, about to be upgraded to 10kw on our 2-phase power supply.

I have looked at the Zappi but talking to the local supplier, it will only be able to optimize one of the phases. We live west of Melbourne on the coast and often do trips towards the SA border, and occasionally to family in the Eden NSW area. There is a dearth of fast chargers in both directions, so my current preference is to get a portable 32 amp charger for these trips and that we will use at home. Our friendly electrician can easily install a 32 amp power outlet in our garage. What are your thoughts on my plan? All suggestions welcomed. What portable 32 amp charger would you recommend.
jonescg

Re: New Kona Owner: home charging advice sought

Post by jonescg »

The Zappi will optimise for the solar output on one or three phase, but not two (it will optimise half the array, I presume). But 7 kW is heaps.
As for the 32 A travel option, this is a sound approach, and many EVSEs like Tesla destination chargers are installed on a 32 A socket for added redundancy.
Look into OpenEVSE for a 32 A portable option, or even this one: https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/p ... er-3-phase in single phase to keep the weight and bulk down.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Why wouldn't the 3-phase version of the zappi be able to work on 2-phases (also, I've never heard of a 2-phase connection in Australia, is this on a SWER line?)

The zappi would measure each phase independently, so the 3rd phase would just be treated as 0 power all the time
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

Evolution (Zappi supplier) told me the 3 phase Zappi does not work with 2 phase. Two phase is quite common in Australia.
Cheers,
Brian
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - Ceramic Blue
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Especially in rural areas - they run a 480 VAC supply with a common neutral.
I really doubt you will need more than 7 kW though, and with a solar-sourced EVSE it's likely to be more like 2 kW most of the time.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Hi Barwonev,
Welcome to the bright side.
Not wanting to damper your enthousiasme, do you really need anything faster than a 10A socket?
You may have seen my posts. I have had my Kona for 8 months, have just past 23'000km, travel to country Victoria from Melbourne a few times a month, and still can't see the point of spending $2000 on a charger.
The only time you would really need it is if you do multiple long trips on consecutive days returning home every night.
If I drive more than 300km in one direction, I stay the night somewhere, always picking a motel with a Tesla destination charger. These will give you about 50km/hour, or more than a full charge even on a short night stay.
At home on a 10A socket, you will get about 15km/hour, or 150km during a meal and a good night sleep. And don't forget that you can schedule your charge to happen at specific times to maximise solar charging.
$2000 is 2 full sets of tires. 10 years of electricity for me as I mainly use free chargers around Melbourne. 100 good restaurant pizzas.
Just saying.
Cheers,
Patrick
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

Hi Patrick,
Thank you very much for your advice. My wife and I have been going through the same thought process as to how much do we really need to spend, especially considering our very low mileage. The only reason I was considering the portable charger was for extended trips (more than 500km return). I did not realize you could use a Tesla charger. What charging cable do you need? In addition, most charging stations around here are "bring your own cable" and we need to buy some sort of cable. Can I use the same cable for a Tesla and Chargefox Type 2, or can you get an adaptor?
Your advice is very much appreciated.
Cheers, Brian
Cheers,
Brian
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

barwonev wrote: Fri, 01 May 2020, 07:53 I'm a long term browser of this site, but this is my first post. Hello to all.

Today we are picking up our new 2020 Kona Electric Highlander.

I have been researching home chargers for some time and would like to invest in a 7kw home charger. We are a retired couple who normally won't do more than 1000-1500 kms per month, but the current health crisis will restrict that too much less than that. So for the short term, we will use the Hyundai supplied trickle charger. I should add we have 5kw of solar, about to be upgraded to 10kw on our 2-phase power supply.

I have looked at the Zappi but talking to the local supplier, it will only be able to optimize one of the phases. We live west of Melbourne on the coast and often do trips towards the SA border, and occasionally to family in the Eden NSW area. There is a dearth of fast chargers in both directions, so my current preference is to get a portable 32 amp charger for these trips and that we will use at home. Our friendly electrician can easily install a 32 amp power outlet in our garage. What are your thoughts on my plan? All suggestions welcomed. What portable 32 amp charger would you recommend.
I just got my new Kona Electric a month ago. Like you, I needed a home charging solution.

The first thing to note is that the Kona will only charge on AC to 7.4kW (32A). No point doing any more - it can't use it.

The Zappi is a very nice bit of kit, but I don't need the on screen data stuff. I found that a basic Wallpod (I got it from Jet Charge in Melbourne) does a great job.
In my case, I decided to get a separate Type 2 cable that I could throw in the boot for those visits to shopping centres with free charging (I also got a J1772 to Type2 adapter for the older ChargePoint setups).
So my Wallpod doesn't have a tethered cable. It's rated at IP65 (I had to mount it on a very weather exposed wall) and hasn't missed a beat.

It's tied into the controlled load circuit because I'm getting a lot more for my solar power than the off-peak rate.
Net result, I'm still making 4c/kWh on my solar and the car is getting topped up for use in the morning.

In answer to your Tesla destination charger question, they have type 2 plugs so will plug straight in. The catch is that many of them refuse to charge a non-Tesla car. You can check on PlugShare before you go and see if another non-Tesla has already used it.
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

Hi Phil,
Thanks very much for your input. We have ordered a Type 2 to Type 2 cable from Jetcharge to handle our out on the road needs (if and when we get that far from home under present restrictions). We may get the Type 1 adaptor when we start to travel again. As we have no pressing need to use more than the trickle charger, we will hold off decisions on upgrading home charging.
Cheers, Brian
Cheers,
Brian
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

I also have a Kona. I use the Hyundai-supplied 10A EVSE for routine charging at home. I leave it hung up next to a power point where I park.
I also own a portable adjustable 6/10/15/32A EVSE charge cord. I have a 32A outlet at home that I could use but I don't bother. For convenience, I leave the 32A EVSE packed away in the car for use on trips out of town and just use the 10A EVSE at home.
With such a large battery in the Kona, 10A charging is ample for most patterns of local driving. We have the car set to stop charging at 80% unless anticipating an imminent out-of-town trip.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Hi Brian,
Great choice. I went for the type 2 / type 2 cable and a very short type 2 / type 1 adaptor at EVolution.com.au. The only place I use the adaptor is the Geelong Pier charger.
As for the Tesla destination chargers (TDC), the best part about using them, they come with the type 2 cable. Park, plug, walk away.
One little caveat about the TDC, some are set to "universal" - most car brand with a type 2 connector can use them, some are set to "Tesla only". And if you call a motel to ask what their charger setting is, they usually have no idea what you are even talking about. Trial and error I'm afraid. That is where the PlugShare app gets very useful. If no Kona has ever used that particular TDC, make sure you have a plan B. Thankfully the "Tesla only" set chargers are very rare. But Portland for example, 410km from my house, have 2 motels with chargers, only of each. And I was the first Kona to visit... For work. Wasn't looking forward to the phone call to my boss asking for a day off to charge on the 240Vac plug before I could come back.
Also hard to understand when plugging to a TDC, some of them give you a red charge port LED on your Kona, but then somehow redo the handshake and start charging. This can take up to 20 seconds. If the red LED are still ON after 30 seconds, chances are this charger is set to Tesla only.\
Cheers, Patrick
126Wh/km from new
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Forgot to mention, I keep talking about the Tesla Destination Chargers, not to be confused with the Tesla Super Chargers, only available to Tesla cars.
Patrick
126Wh/km from new
barwonev
Noobie

Post by barwonev »

Thank you Patrick for the information on charging away from home. Very useful to know about the ins and outs of charging on a Tesla destination charger! We are itching to go on a long trip, but as a retired couple, we have no excuses under the current lockdown rules.
Cheers,
Brian
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

Peter C in Canberra wrote: Wed, 06 May 2020, 18:40 With such a large battery in the Kona, 10A charging is ample for most patterns of local driving. We have the car set to stop charging at 80% unless anticipating an imminent out-of-town trip.
Is there an easy way to override the 80% charging limit? I, too, have my Kona set to stop charging at 80%, but there are often times when I want a 90% or 100% charge. The LEAF has a one-shot button to override this. The only way I know of with the Kona is to manually change the limit and then have to remember to change it back. Annoying!
Peter C in Canberra

bje wrote: Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 12:38
Peter C in Canberra wrote: Wed, 06 May 2020, 18:40 With such a large battery in the Kona, 10A charging is ample for most patterns of local driving. We have the car set to stop charging at 80% unless anticipating an imminent out-of-town trip.
Is there an easy way to override the 80% charging limit? I, too, have my Kona set to stop charging at 80%, but there are often times when I want a 90% or 100% charge. The LEAF has a one-shot button to override this. The only way I know of with the Kona is to manually change the limit and then have to remember to change it back. Annoying!
I am not aware of a 'one-shot button'. You can set different limits for different places. So, for example, you might set to 80% at home because virtually all trips leaving from home are local and 80% will give more than enough range. You might leave the limit at 100% for all other locations because you are more likely to be in the middle of a long trip if you are charging away from home or you might be at a free charger and want to take as much as you can for the time you are there.
I don't mind a few extra steps to change the limit because I do so only infrequently. If I have set it to 100% and forget to put it back to 80%, it is not a serious problem if it goes to 100% once before I am reminded to put it back to 80%.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
itopu
Noobie

Post by itopu »

Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum.
I bought a brand new Kona and I have also solar panels, so I thought that is a good idea to buy a Zappi charger.
I read in this post that you can get away with smaller chargers, but I wanted to be ready for another, bigger EV down the track.
Anyway, my question is if anyone had a Zappi charger installed and if they can share the details of the installer.
Evolution Australia who sold me the charger, can provide installers but their charge is prohibitive.
Thank you.
Peter C in Canberra

itopu wrote: Tue, 08 Sep 2020, 13:25 ... Evolution Australia who sold me the charger, can provide installers but their charge is prohibitive...
Where are you? If in Canberra, I could suggest an electrician with EV expertise. Best to say where you are to get local recommendations.
itopu
Noobie

Post by itopu »

Hi Peter,
I am in Sydney, thank you.
nudist
Noobie

Post by nudist »

I agree with the last respondent. I would suggest that you get other quotes because evolution by their own admission do not provide the cheapest installation quotes. They supplied my Zappi charger but I was able to save $300 on installation compared to evolution
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

itopu wrote: Tue, 08 Sep 2020, 13:25 Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum.
I bought a brand new Kona and I have also solar panels, so I thought that is a good idea to buy a Zappi charger.
I read in this post that you can get away with smaller chargers, but I wanted to be ready for another, bigger EV down the track.
Anyway, my question is if anyone had a Zappi charger installed and if they can share the details of the installer.
Evolution Australia who sold me the charger, can provide installers but their charge is prohibitive.
Thank you.
I'm in Sydney too. I just used a local licensed level 2 electrician. He checked that we had enough capacity for a 32A circuit and it was done in an hour. Saved about $200 all up on the "package deals".
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
itopu
Noobie

Post by itopu »

So, my understanding is that it will not void the warranty if zappi is installed by a local electrician.
Thank you for advice.