Spare wheel for Kona

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
Manto
Noobie

Spare wheel for Kona

Post by Manto »

Has anyone sourced a spare wheel for their Kona. I tried the space saver spare from our ICE Kona on the front of my EV but doing a uturn I heard a scraping noise so maybe they arent quite right. Want one for trips as I dont like or trust repair kits
Mrburns
Noobie

Re: Spare wheel for Kona

Post by Mrburns »

Will it even fit in the boot? As the EV “spare” wheel well looks to be out of round

Normally when you fit a space saver spare to a front wheel drive car it’s recommended to fit it to the rear axle, because the rear doesn’t steer, brakes less, and doesn’t drive avoiding extra stress on the differential due to difference in diameter. But no one wants to play musical wheels on the side of the road.

Also be careful with the load rating of the spare most space saves are lower rated and the EV is even heavier then the ICE Kona
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Aparently Hyundai in India sell the Kona electric with a spare. (Was watching an Indian video of the Kona electric and there was a quick reference and shot of it). Still to source one though. Cheers Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Manto
Noobie

Post by Manto »

Will try the ICE Konas space saver on the rear of my EV this weekend and report back
Kona_cbel
Noobie

Post by Kona_cbel »

Yes. We got a spare wheel through Hyundai Tweed Heads. Took about a week. But after having a bad puncture. don't want to be left stranded. Pricey though.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

This was posted on another forum....
"For those in Australia, the 17" space saver from the FG falcon fits below the floor and clears all calipers on the rear. You have to remove both foam trays but the gear easily fits back in under the wheel. The tyre size is T155/80R17."
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Just thought I'd point out 2 things,
The author says that the 39kWh Kona in India comes with a space saver due to having room because of the smaller battery, this is technically true but it's not the size of the battery but actually the weight.
Also they mention that they can't buy a space saver at most places, that's because they are not road legal. That's right, if your car has a flat tyre and you fit the factory supplied space saver the cops can give you a yellow sticker for it. (You would probably have to be a bit of a wanker for that to come to pass)
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

brendon_m wrote: Sun, 03 Jan 2021, 13:51 That's right, if your car has a flat tyre and you fit the factory supplied space saver the cops can give you a yellow sticker for it. (You would probably have to be a bit of a wanker for that to come to pass)
If it is left at the side of the road with a flat tyre they can also get it towed away and impounded.
Etlacava
Noobie

Post by Etlacava »

Hi All,
I can confirm the Ford FG spare saver works a treat, furthermore, if you get the whole kit, including the tools and tool holder that comes with the spare wheel, it will actually fit in the cavity where the original repair kit is, helping holding the spare saver level. Because I got one in a really good condition, I did not replace the 155 tyre which prevents to have a 3 mm plywood/mdf board as it just fits between the floor and the boot liner.
Since the wheel is stabilised by the tool kit, I bought a rigid 20mm thick matt from Clark Rubber and trimmed it around the wheel, preventing it to slide sideways.
I have tested and replaced a rear wheel, went for a ride, then tried it at the front, the jack provided fits perfectly, the slot been the same depth as the Kona chassis, in all, prefect match on all counts
mpfl
Noobie

Post by mpfl »

Three punctures in a year, two of them in the last two weeks. Getting a little sick of having to wait for a mobile tyre service but also worried about getting a flat while on a road trip (since those are the only kinds of holidays we can take now).

Has anyone put together a full-size spare? I was just quoted $1100 for a new rim by Hyundai and that's possibly a touch more than I'd like to pay.

As for a space-saving spare, how do I get one of these Ford FG spares?
rjm2019
Noobie

Post by rjm2019 »

brunohill wrote: Mon, 31 Aug 2020, 08:45 This was posted on another forum....
"For those in Australia, the 17" space saver from the FG falcon fits below the floor and clears all calipers on the rear. You have to remove both foam trays but the gear easily fits back in under the wheel. The tyre size is T155/80R17."
I followed up this advice and sourced an FG falcon space saver from Ford wreckers. $60. Works perfectly. Would need two jacks to switch front to back
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Doesn't need 2 jacks, just patience, jack up and swap a good back tyre for the spare, put it down then jack up the front and put the tyre from the back in place of the flat.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

It is bad enough having the car fall off one jack. I think you have 4 times the chance of it falling off 2 jacks.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I have the Falcon space saver for my Kona - fits neatly (including a suitably small jack) under the boot floor ... with a bit of tweaking.

Actually used it the other day - back tyre got 'screwed'. Popped space-saver on and dropped the damaged one off for fixing. Popped back a few hrs later to pick it up.

Don't currently keep it in the car around town though - but have the set-up ready for when next able to travel beyond 5 (oops, now 10) km.

Cheers
Bryce
AusKona
Groupie

Post by AusKona »

I have just bought an FG Falcon space saver spare. 155/80-R17. Fits perfectly. Offset appears correct - as best I can tell with marks on the garage floor, the centreline of the spare when mounted is very close to the centreline of an OEM tyre - within a few mm. Diameter is a little bit out - 0.5 inch larger than OEM. That won't make a difference at the back but on the front, from what I have read it would be ok at 80kph max. If I got a flat at the front I would probably put the spare on the back and move the good back tyre to the front, I think.
Space saver.jpg
Space saver.jpg (528.03 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
I also got a Falcon jack kit that is just the right height to level up the tyre so that the boot floor slides on nicely.
jack kit.jpg
jack kit.jpg (524.51 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
I must remember to remove that Falcon towing eye - it doesn't fit the Kona.
There are a number of space saver spares for the FG Falcon, with 17 and 18 inch rims and differing tyre sizes/profiles. Tyre calculators indicate the closest match to OEM diameter on a 17 inch wheel is 155/80-R17. This comes on a black 17 inch rim. There is a yellow 17"rim that has a lower profile tyre (70 profile) that is nearly a full inch smaller in diameter than an OEM full size.

Edits for grammar and typos.
Last edited by AusKona on Sat, 25 Sep 2021, 08:07, edited 3 times in total.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

That's right - the 155/80 17 is the correct wheel diameter to match the Kona wheels. 17 inch wheel size is the min needed to clear the bigger brakes on the Kona electric. According to the specs - Falcon space saver is the right offset too.

Hardest part is getting one before the wreckers sell them! They are dirt cheap there and most have never been used. (Way cheaper than buying a new tyre for a rim - hence why Falcon owners replace any worn-out space savers with one from the wreckers ... making them hard to get for the rest of us. Took me ages to get to find a just 'arrived' Falcon at the wreckers ...;-) )

BTW: Boot floor does not quite sit flush with the height of the 155. Also BTW: I also made a bracket to hold the wheel in place - didn't like the idea of it flying out loose in a rollover ...

Note: fixed the tyre series typo.

Cheers
Bryce
Last edited by Bryce on Sat, 25 Sep 2021, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
AusKona
Groupie

Post by AusKona »

Bryce wrote: Sat, 25 Sep 2021, 07:03 That's right - the 155/70 17 is the correct wheel diameter to match the Kona wheels. 17 inch wheel size is the min needed to clear the bigger brakes on the Kona electric. According to the specs - Falcon space saver is the right offset too.

Hardest part is getting one before the wreckers sell them! They are dirt cheap there and most have never been used. (Way cheaper than buying a new tyre for a rim - hence why Falcon owners replace any worn-out space savers with one from the wreckers ... making them hard to get for the rest of us. Took me ages to get to find a just 'arrived' Falcon at the wreckers ...;-) )

BTW: Boot floor does not quite sit flush with the height of the 155. Also BTW: I also made a bracket to hold the wheel in place - didn't like the idea of it flying out loose in a rollover ...

Cheers
Bryce
Bryce,

In trying to choose between 155/70 and 155/80 series spares (both were available from the wrecker) I used an on-line tyre calculator. The 155/70 was nearly a full inch smaller in diameter than an OEM road tyre, while the 155/80 was half an inch larger, so the 155/80, being closer to OEM, was my choice.

With the jack kit under the tyre to support it and the tyre fully inflated my boot floor is perfectly flush, so I think I have jagged a winner!

Would appreciate a pic of your bracket ;)

Cheers

Frank
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Oops - 70 series was a typo! The Falcon space saver is 80 series. Have fixed now in original post.
Cheers
Bryce
Geoff_C1
Noobie

Post by Geoff_C1 »

mpfl wrote: Mon, 23 Aug 2021, 14:28 Three punctures in a year, two of them in the last two weeks. Getting a little sick of having to wait for a mobile tyre service but also worried about getting a flat while on a road trip (since those are the only kinds of holidays we can take now).

Has anyone put together a full-size spare? I was just quoted $1100 for a new rim by Hyundai and that's possibly a touch more than I'd like to pay.

As for a space-saving spare, how do I get one of these Ford FG spares?
Just for info as a part of the initial deal I got a full size spare wheel included for my Ioniq series 2. I would have preferred a space saver, but they declared that they (Hyundai) did not have one that would fit. My boot is very full with that wheel, but so far no punctures.

If you know what the bolt pattern is on the Kona, and the diameter across, I would appreciate it. I dont know if it would be the same. But it might be.

Geoff
AusKona
Groupie

Post by AusKona »

Geoff_C1 wrote: Sat, 25 Sep 2021, 12:46
If you know what the bolt pattern is on the Kona, and the diameter across, I would appreciate it. I dont know if it would be the same. But it might be.

Geoff
Geoff,

The centre bore is 67.1mm.
The PCD is 5 x 114.3mm (5 x 4.5 inch)

PCD is the diameter of an imaginary circle going through the centres of the studs.

Stud spacing will be 68mm centre to centre (67.98 to be exact.)

If you have a 5 stud wheel and the stud spacing is 68 centre to centre then it should fit.

BUT you need the correct offset, rim size and overall tyre diameter.
You need a 17 inch wheel to clear the rear brake calipers. If the Ioniq wheel is 17 inch and the stud pattern and centre bore allows fitment then you can do a quick check on offset as follows.

Park your car on a flat surface that you can mark with texta or chalk. Mark on the surface the centre of the tread of a standard road wheel. Raise the vehicle, fit the spare, lower the vehicle and see if the centre of the tread of the spare is close to the mark, ie within about 10mm. You may have to roll the car back and forth a bit to allow the suspension to normalise after lowering.

For overall diameter, use an on-line tyre calculator where you enter you tyre size such as 215/65 R17 and it tells you the tyre diameter. Try this one: https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/ Use it for a road wheel and for your spare. The result should be within half an inch - the closer the better.

Cheers
Geoff_C1
Noobie

Post by Geoff_C1 »

AusKona wrote: Sat, 25 Sep 2021, 15:32

Geoff,

The centre bore is 67.1mm.
The PCD is 5 x 114.3mm (5 x 4.5 inch)

PCD is the diameter of an imaginary circle going through the centres of the studs.

Stud spacing will be 68mm centre to centre (67.98 to be exact.)

If you have a 5 stud wheel and the stud spacing is 68 centre to centre then it should fit.
Thats great info, many thanks. Just did a quick look, and it is 5 bolt, 68mm stud spacing on a 215/60/16. I will have to check the offset, and I am wondering if the steel spare wheel they gave actually me is the same as the alloys on the car. It sure does not look like it.

Geoff
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Quick note - the 16 won't fit over the bigger EV brakes on the back. Normal Kona space saver is 16, which is why the petrol Kona space saver doesn't work for the EV back. Will do for the front only. You need a 17 or 18 to fit back and front.
Cheers
Bryce
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

Member John Harders has written an article on this topic: https://aeva.asn.au/articles/the-hyunda ... e-dilemma/
Geoff_C1
Noobie

Post by Geoff_C1 »

You would think I might have learned my lesson with car dealers.

First I took delivery of a brand new Merc 250 maybe 9 years back and fortunately looked at the rego to find it was fitted with the wrong plates. Then just a few months back, I discovered, because I had not looked closely before at my Toyota Prado rego, that it was the petrol engine on the rego, and the 2.8 diesel as specified and paid for. Now today I finally fitted the full size "spare" wheel included in the deal by the Hyundai dealer for my series 2 Ioniq, and the offset is so wrong the wheel protrudes about 3.5 cm beyond the body. That's neat!!! I would not get away with that if a cop spotted me, and I would not be willing to drive it like that any distance beyond how far I might comfortably walk.

So I better look into the Ford Space Saver. At least I have a good trade in - a brand new wheel and tyre for an unknown Hyundai.

Geoff