Hyundai Sales Tactics

Hyundai Interest Group
Kasterborus
Groupie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 17:14
Real Name: Chris

Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by Kasterborus » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 07:01

So while I was out an about yesterday I managed to get a good solid half an hour with a Hyundai Dealer to discuss the Kona, the Ioniq, and Hyundai's upcoming Hydrogen car.

This is on top of my previous try to get a test drive of a Kona, which I ended up walking out of after driving halfway across Brisbane to get to a dealer that sold EV's, and then an hour and a half after our appointment I walked out considering only a single salesman was assigned to EV's, and he was running late.

Now, it was an...interesting discussion to say the least.

So to start with, our question was as to whether Hyundai is going to release a Santa Fe sized EV, as the Kona an Ioniq are too small. To which he directs us to the Nexo, which isn't released in Australia, isn't an EV, but is "Better" because it runs on Hydrogen. However was lost for words when we asked where we can fill it....which is only at a very select, very few number of hydrogen stations in Australia.

One of the things I pointed out however was that the Kona COULD be more practical, however HYundai for some reason decided to essentially perform an EV Conversion on the Kona, rather than design an EV Kona, now if the Kona had a froot, I would be far more inclined to get one, as it would unlock a lot of room in the car.

Apparently this was done to make the car "easier to service"

Now, I don't know about you guys, but me coming from a semi-mechanical background, a dozen body bolts and lift the body clean out of the way is always a much easier way to work on a car...

On that note, I was expecting servicing to be "When it needs it" like other automakers are going to, however no, Hyundai needs to have their cars serviced every 12 months or xx,000kms which was an interesting point I noted.

When I pushed what was actually serviced, I was told it was $200-ish for a "Checkup" and that only "Things that need to be serviced will be serviced", yet couldn't tell me what needed to be serviced.

However, in what sounded to me like a blatant contradiction to the Australian Consumer Law, I was also told that I cannot take a Hyundai EV to any old mechanic for it's servicing, instead I must take it to Hyundai and I must get it done at the intervals. To get the unknown things checked and the unknown things serviced.

I mean, to me, half of buying an electric car is the appeal that the service intervals go down to once every couple of years for the average owner. To me it sounds like the dealers have relied on this service based economic system for so long now that they cannot even justify it anymore. Honestly I was waiting for him to tell me that the EV's are serviced every 12 months so that the dealer can keep the lights on.

Lastly, I was interested if the price for the Hyundai EV's would come down, or the range and features would be improved (Including OTA updates, of which he had absolutely no idea what an OTA update was. he asked if that was like getting the battery changed), he replied that Hyundai has a better product in it's segment than any other manufacturer, and that really, Hyundai being ahead of the curve meant that they probably weren't going to improve anything in the near future. Tesla is not a competitor to Hyundai, they are in entirely different markets.

I dunno, but to me the Model 3 is a direct threat and same market as the Ioniq, and the Model Y will be a good contender against the Kona, but maybe I'm missing something here.

Now, to the good things, as I'll leave this post on a high:

Kona was a nice car, pretty well appointed, even if it did seem a bit "plasticky", it could be made a bit less "Sterile", however all car companies are going this way at the moment, and the Kona is certainly at the nicer end of this spectrum, some companies just do an atrocious job of their interiors.

I certainly did like the seats in the Kona, it was super comfortable to sit in, I have bad knees and I can get the seat in the right spot to take pressure off my knees as I drive, likewise the wife has a busted back and she said the seat was certainly comfortable.

The other plus is, I'm, assured by Hyundai, that unlike a Tesla, if I bend a Kona, I'm not waiting 6 months to have it repaired by approved technicians, any accident damage on a Kona or Ioniq can just go straight to any old panelbeater and be fixed with off the shelf parts from Hyundai.

User avatar
brendon_m
Groupie
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 28 Oct 2017, 11:00
Real Name: Brendon McCarrol

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by brendon_m » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 08:34

Kasterborus wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 07:01
it runs on Hydrogen. However was lost for words when we asked where we can fill it....which is only at a very select, very few number of hydrogen stations in Australia.

You don't want to go to one of 3 stations in the country that aren't even open yet?, not good enough for you?. Some people just have no commitment to hyundai and Toyota hydrogen plans.

Kasterborus wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 07:01
Now, I don't know about you guys, but me coming from a semi-mechanical background, a dozen body bolts and lift the body clean out of the way is always a much easier way to work on a car...
Problem being that there is is no chassis to lift off of.
However it's not hard to design a car with access in mind. Hyundai are normally pretty good at that.

Kasterborus wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 07:01
On that note, I was expecting servicing to be "When it needs it" like other automakers are going to, however no, Hyundai needs to have their cars serviced every 12 months or xx,000kms which was an interesting point I noted.


You say that but I was curious and looking through the times guide at work and teslas have quite a rigorous service schedule that has more time allocated per service than most ice cars. Who knows what you need to do during the service, the list of stuff doesn't seem too hectic but there is a lot of labour hours set aside. (I think it was 1.5hrs every time 20k)
I cant remember the exact time /interval but there is also a battery smoothing process that goes for something like 20hrs that should be done every 60k
Lots more than I thought.
No service listing on leaf, zoe or imievs though.

Kasterborus wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 07:01
Hyundai has a better product in it's segment than any other manufacturer, and that really, Hyundai being ahead of the curve meant that they probably weren't going to improve anything in the near future.


It is mostly true and sounds about right.
All the real competition is still a year or 2 off being delivered so hyundai have time to flounder, I mean get "market dominance"

Kasterborus wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 07:01
that unlike a Tesla, if I bend a Kona, I'm not waiting 6 months to have it repaired by approved technicians, any accident damage on a Kona or Ioniq can just go straight to any old panelbeater and be fixed with off the shelf parts from Hyundai.

Yeah I'm sure hyundai are going to keep warehouses full of parts in every capital city and everything for tesla will have to have the materials mined so that they can even start to make the parts...

mikedufty
Senior Member
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue, 02 Dec 2008, 00:15
Real Name: Michael Dufty
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by mikedufty » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 11:12

brendon_m wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 08:34
No service listing on leaf, zoe or imievs though.
I'm not aware of any manufacturers moving away from specified service intervals except possibly Tesla, who still recommend it. I guess they are relying on the car self reporting to them via its internet connection.

The i-Mievs (at least the 2010 model) actually had 6 monthly servicing specified in Australia, even though the dashboard indicator says 12 months. I think the manual had a sticker in it overriding the original 12 month spec for other markets.
The frequent service is pretty basic stuff, but no reason to think any of it would need less attention on an EV than an ICE, was $200 at dealer, but realistically pretty easy to do yourself apart from the system diagnosis and recalls.

Brake fluid level
Windscreen washer fluid
12v batt wiring and terminals
12v electrolyte
Elec motor coolant
steering and suspension operation
Brake hoses and pipe damage and leaks
Front brake pads and rotors
underbody damage and corrosion
Tyre condition and pressure
Drive shaft boots
lights, wiper washer horn electrical
brake pedal travel
fresh air filter
air con operation
Recalls
Electronic system diagnosis

I got stung $650 for the 40,000km service though. Should probably be ignored as I suspect the dealer was being dodgy and charging some of the labour for recalls that were done at the same time.
I did ask for brake fluid to be changed, but that only accounts for a couple of hundred. The dealer claimed that getting to various bits to inspect them took a lot of time.
The only thing I can find in the service report not in the shorter service are:
-Inspect ball joints, seals, bushes and boots.
-check wheel bearings
-inspect traction battery capacity (not convinced they actually did this since I didn't get a report)
They did a heap of recalls at the same time including major work like replacing the charger inverter (which later failed, so may have been better off if they didn't do that!).

Kasterborus
Groupie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 17:14
Real Name: Chris

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by Kasterborus » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 11:26

mikedufty wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 11:12
I'm not aware of any manufacturers moving away from specified service intervals except possibly Tesla, who still recommend it. I guess they are relying on the car self reporting to them via its internet connection.
That's exactly it, Tesla reports that you need to get [X] Serviced, and that it needs to be done with [URGENCY] rather than periodically.

Seems like a much better way to do it IMO, finally get those hundreds of sensors in the car doing something practical other than just turning on a CEL
mikedufty wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 11:12
The frequent service is pretty basic stuff, but no reason to think any of it would need less attention on an EV than an ICE, was $200 at dealer, but realistically pretty easy to do yourself apart from the system diagnosis and recalls.
Recalls I get, but then, you should be getting a letter in the mail for them anyway, you shouldn't be waiting a year to go and get a recall done.

Heaps of things need less attention, such as brakes, with Regen you'll get a lot longer out of brakes for example.

However there is this list, I have highlighted the parts that may possible not be able to be serviced by an everyday mechanic.
mikedufty wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 11:12
Brake fluid level
Windscreen washer fluid
12v batt wiring and terminals
12v electrolyte
Elec motor coolant
steering and suspension operation
Brake hoses and pipe damage and leaks
Front brake pads and rotors
underbody damage and corrosion
Tyre condition and pressure
Drive shaft boots
lights, wiper washer horn electrical
brake pedal travel
fresh air filter
air con operation
Recalls
Electronic system diagnosis
The only thing your everyday mechanic may not be able to do is recalls, and even then, sometimes dealers are happy for 3rd parties to do recalls. When our Fleet Pajero's at work needed the Airbags all replaced under Takata Recall, we took them to an Ultratune instead of Mitsubishi.

mikedufty
Senior Member
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue, 02 Dec 2008, 00:15
Real Name: Michael Dufty
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by mikedufty » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 13:26

The electronic system diagnosis needs specialised equipment most people don't have at home, though there are some hacked versions floating around.
I would have thought the recalls shouldn't need a service either, but they came up with one on ours (the inverter/charger) that we were not notified of, and I haven't seen published anywhere. Agree that its not something that should require scheduled servicing.
Not sure what your poit is about everyday mechanics, pretty sure no manufacturer can insist that servicing be done by themselves.

User avatar
brendon_m
Groupie
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 28 Oct 2017, 11:00
Real Name: Brendon McCarrol

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by brendon_m » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 17:44

mikedufty wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 13:26
Not sure what your poit is about everyday mechanics, pretty sure no manufacturer can insist that servicing be done by themselves.
They can't, but they definitely do. I've had them say it straight to my face when I bought my car, dealers have also told people I know that fitting accessories has to be done by the dealer or it voids the warranty. I specifically remember a customer I know well getting a quote on a electric brake controller for their caravan and making a booking. They then cancelled the booking because Toyota said it would void the warranty if Toyota didn't fit it. Later on I found out that Toyota subletted the job out anyway, and to top it off they sublet the job to a company that doesn't have any qualified workers

Kasterborus
Groupie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 17:14
Real Name: Chris

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by Kasterborus » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 19:01

mikedufty wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 13:26
The electronic system diagnosis needs specialised equipment most people don't have at home
Yes, and that's fine, not saying to get it done at home, hence why I'm saying take it to a qualified mechanic.

User avatar
reecho
Senior Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun, 17 Apr 2011, 02:39
Real Name: Richard Baird
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by reecho » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 19:19

Kasterborus wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 07:01
So to start with, our question was as to whether Hyundai is going to release a Santa Fe sized EV, as the Kona an Ioniq are too small. To which he directs us to the Nexo, which isn't released in Australia, isn't an EV, but is "Better" because it runs on Hydrogen. However was lost for words when we asked where we can fill it....which is only at a very select, very few number of hydrogen stations in Australia.

One of the things I pointed out however was that the Kona COULD be more practical, however HYundai for some reason decided to essentially perform an EV Conversion on the Kona, rather than design an EV Kona, now if the Kona had a froot, I would be far more inclined to get one, as it would unlock a lot of room in the car.

Apparently this was done to make the car "easier to service"

Now, I don't know about you guys, but me coming from a semi-mechanical background, a dozen body bolts and lift the body clean out of the way is always a much easier way to work on a car...

On that note, I was expecting servicing to be "When it needs it" like other automakers are going to, however no, Hyundai needs to have their cars serviced every 12 months or xx,000kms which was an interesting point I noted.

When I pushed what was actually serviced, I was told it was $200-ish for a "Checkup" and that only "Things that need to be serviced will be serviced", yet couldn't tell me what needed to be serviced.

However, in what sounded to me like a blatant contradiction to the Australian Consumer Law, I was also told that I cannot take a Hyundai EV to any old mechanic for it's servicing, instead I must take it to Hyundai and I must get it done at the intervals. To get the unknown things checked and the unknown things serviced.

If you want a froot or frunk or whatever that thing is in the front get a Tesla. It's idiotic to expect it on every EV coming out. Same with OTA updates. Get a Tesla. You wont see Kona owners "rebooting" the cars with double button presses of the steering wheel. Why?. Not needed. Tesla is a technology company building cars. Hyundai is a vehicle manufacturer building it's first gen EV's. I think they have done an absolute stellar job If you look closely at the engineering for the Kona it wasn't a mere conversion of the ICE platform. The floor pressings are totally different and placed higher inside the chassis. Front headroom is different to it's ICE sibling. A bespoke version of the IRS in the rear is used. Under floor clearance is the same as the 4WD ICE variant.

There's one H2 refuelling facility for Hyundai at it's head office in Sydney. Currently only filling to 350bar which is essentially half a tank. H2O is a non starter for passenger EV's in Australia. Toyota have a spanking Prime mover and trailer following the Mirai around. The massive diesel generators in the front of the trailer make for an interesting sight when they are spruiking it as the future.

Service costs for Kona are $165 a year which includes map updates, the Autolink Premium App and roadside assistance in the cost. For me it's good value when you roll all those things in. For that reason I would be struggling to justify taking it to Joe Blow's Motors for a service.

User avatar
4Springs
Senior Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu, 23 Dec 2010, 01:14
Real Name: Christopher Walkden
Location: Selbourne, TAS

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by 4Springs » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 05:36

reecho wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 19:19
If you want a froot or frunk or whatever that thing is in the front get a Tesla.
It's definitely a froot. Glad to hear someone else using the term!
There is so much space under the bonnet of a Kona, I wonder how long it will be before you can buy a bolt-in insert. Remove the dinky plastic cover thing and you have four mounting sockets for it to rest on. Would give you 20 - 50 litres I reckon, perfect for your charging cables!

Kasterborus
Groupie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 17:14
Real Name: Chris

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by Kasterborus » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:12

reecho wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 19:19
If you want a froot or frunk or whatever that thing is in the front get a Tesla. It's idiotic to expect it on every EV coming out.
More looking at the fact that the Skateboard design is an overall better package, a few plugs and lines, body lifts off and you can dismantle to your hearts content.

Plus it unlocks so much more siace, neater package, neater manufacturing, etc
reecho wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 19:19
Same with OTA updates. Get a Tesla. You wont see Kona owners "rebooting" the cars with double button presses of the steering wheel. Why?. Not needed. Tesla is a technology company building cars. Hyundai is a vehicle manufacturer building it's first gen EV's.
So what's my option for updates? Chained to a dealer to have them done? We have the technology, why not leverage it?
reecho wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 19:19
Service costs for Kona are $165 a year which includes map updates, the Autolink Premium App and roadside assistance in the cost. For me it's good value when you roll all those things in. For that reason I would be struggling to justify taking it to Joe Blow's Motors for a service.
Map updates yet they get updates free on Android Auto from Google? I assume they have carplay, didn't ask, not an Apple person. So why would I pay to update maps when I can have better up to date from Google?

Roadside Assistance isn't a subscription, it's part of the warranty you get with the car, unless of course you get an extended warranty or similar.

The issue with Autolink is it is messy and poorly thought out, you lose the OBD port to the Autolink. So you can't use things such as torque. Be easier to just build it into the car and then activate it on purchase. Then you're not hogging the OBD port.

User avatar
brendon_m
Groupie
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 28 Oct 2017, 11:00
Real Name: Brendon McCarrol

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by brendon_m » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:32

Kasterborus wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:12
The issue with Autolink is it is messy and poorly thought out, you lose the OBD port to the Autolink. So you can't use things such as torque. Be easier to just build it into the car and then activate it on purchase. Then you're not hogging the OBD port.
I don't know about the Australian release but teslas in the US don't have obd ports at all, so there is a win for hyundai
Kasterborus wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:12
the Skateboard design

It really does seem like the way to go for larger cars but for smaller cars the pros I don't think outweigh the cons /extra costs.
I watched a tear down video of a bolt motor/gearbox and it's designed to be in an EV from the get go but some of the design choices make me question the engineers. The size of the gear shift actuator is horrific, there is no reason for its size other than that is what is used on ice cars. It doesn't even need to be there full stop it's a relic from ice designs that someone somewhere said "but all cars need one"

Kasterborus
Groupie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 17:14
Real Name: Chris

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by Kasterborus » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:40

brendon_m wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:32
some of the design choices make me question the engineers. The size of the gear shift actuator is horrific, there is no reason for its size other than that is what is used on ice cars. It doesn't even need to be there full stop it's a relic from ice designs that someone somewhere said "but all cars need one"
That is super accurate I agree.

User avatar
brendon_m
Groupie
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 28 Oct 2017, 11:00
Real Name: Brendon McCarrol

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by brendon_m » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 10:54

I had a bit more of a look at the service schedules
Leaf - no services required
Imiev - doesn't exist
Zoe - doesn't exist
Kona - exists, but not with an electric motor
Ionic - no services required
Model x - no services required
Model 3 - doesn't exist
Model s 2.2hrs per service every 20k/12 months (with 3.3hrs on every 2nd service)
I pace - 1hr to service every 34k/24 months

And to put it in perspective a ve commodore wants 1.35hrs every 15k/12 months

IMG_20190610_081302.jpg
IMG_20190610_081302.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 804 times
1560135248027683302128.jpg
1560135248027683302128.jpg (786.53 KiB) Viewed 804 times

KiwiME
Noobie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 12:19

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by KiwiME » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 12:25

Kasterborus wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:12
The issue with Autolink is it is messy and poorly thought out, you lose the OBD port to the Autolink. So you can't use things such as torque. Be easier to just build it into the car and then activate it on purchase. Then you're not hogging the OBD port.
First post and Kona owner. Just thought I should mention that there is a second OBD port under the hood. I haven't tested it and it may not have pins for 12V power but it is connected to the same CAN bus, in parallel with the standard port in the cabin.

User avatar
reecho
Senior Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun, 17 Apr 2011, 02:39
Real Name: Richard Baird
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by reecho » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 17:29

4Springs wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 05:36
reecho wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 19:19
If you want a froot or frunk or whatever that thing is in the front get a Tesla.
It's definitely a froot. Glad to hear someone else using the term!
There is so much space under the bonnet of a Kona, I wonder how long it will be before you can buy a bolt-in insert. Remove the dinky plastic cover thing and you have four mounting sockets for it to rest on. Would give you 20 - 50 litres I reckon, perfect for your charging cables!
I heard on the grapevine that's happening right now in Europe...

User avatar
reecho
Senior Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun, 17 Apr 2011, 02:39
Real Name: Richard Baird
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by reecho » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 17:35

reecho wrote:
Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 19:19
Service costs for Kona are $165 a year which includes map updates, the Autolink Premium App and roadside assistance in the cost. For me it's good value when you roll all those things in. For that reason I would be struggling to justify taking it to Joe Blow's Motors for a service.
Roadside Assistance isn't a subscription, it's part of the warranty you get with the car, unless of course you get an extended warranty or similar.


Roadside assist is totally separate from manufacturer warranties and is paid for by the dealers indirectly. For some euro brands it's included but the warranty is not with the manufacturer, it's from an insurance broker.

User avatar
bladecar
Senior Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue, 05 Jul 2011, 16:32
Location: Brisbane

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by bladecar » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 18:08

Hi Kasterbourous,

What ev do you own?
Do you intend to buy one soon?

The Kona owners here seem to generally be very pleased with their cars.

My imiev runs well after that one problem I had. Its main problem now, it seems to me, is that the newer cars with their much better range make it seem a little under-powered :) Yet it is the car I take to all my short range locations. All of them. It has to be the car you buy and keep, as with most ice cars. You'll never get what they are practically worth.

I road-tested a Tesla S some time ago. I was quoted 8 years warranty and they would like the owner to take the car in every 12 months, but they did not insist on it.

The Tesla 3 has a 4 year warranty.

brendon_m said:

I had a bit more of a look at the service schedules
Leaf - no services required
Imiev - doesn't exist
Zoe - doesn't exist
Kona - exists, but not with an electric motor
Ionic - no services required
Model x - no services required
Model 3 - doesn't exist
Model s 2.2hrs per service every 20k/12 months (with 3.3hrs on every 2nd service)
I pace - 1hr to service every 34k/24 months



If you buy a hyundai elantra, they present you with a warranty as if it is some sort of prize, where the gearbox and the diff etc has some years warranty (or course) and the warranty varies on other things according to the likelyhood, in my opinion, of whether something is likely to go wrong. Then they ask you to SIGN it as though it's some sort of contract. I said to them that this prize of theirs was simply a wish from them that I might actually take the car to Hyundai to get it serviced. I said I MIGHT.

kasterboros said:
The other plus is, I'm, assured by Hyundai, that unlike a Tesla, if I bend a Kona, I'm not waiting 6 months to have it repaired by approved technicians, any accident damage on a Kona or Ioniq can just go straight to any old panelbeater and be fixed with off the shelf parts from Hyundai.
and brendon_m replied:

Yeah I'm sure hyundai are going to keep warehouses full of parts in every capital city and everything for tesla will have to have the materials mined so that they can even start to make the parts...

kasterboros, I still have serious doubts about your intention to sincerely discuss the pros and cons regarding the forthcoming ev's. For every reasonable comment you have decided to make, you have a comment which does not add anything useful to where we wish to go.

Hyundai have move so far from when their md said that hyundai would never make ev's because they couldn't make a profit with them. The car is more important than the crap you are raising. Buy a Kona, buy anything, and report about it along the way.

Well done to all the manufacturers which are now in the process of giving us the cars of the future. We need to discuss the small things that differ between these new products just so that we can be better informed when we get around to buying one of these vehicles. Thank god for Tesla for making this happen.

A load of simulated blagsted about a particular manufacturer, a particular car from a new member is very suspicious. closterboros, stick to the point, and make the point short and snappy (please).

Kasterborus
Groupie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 17:14
Real Name: Chris

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by Kasterborus » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:13

bladecar wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 18:08
A load of simulated blagsted about a particular manufacturer, a particular car from a new member is very suspicious. closterboros, stick to the point, and make the point short and snappy (please).
Call it suspicious if you like, I really don't care.

I started at the leading manufacturer, researched the hell out of them, they seem to be the yardstick to compare to.

Yes, I intend to buy one, yet it seems that so far 2/3 salesmen have had little to no idea about the cars they're selling beyond "It runs on electricity"

Plus cars like the Kona there's little info out here, there is only 8 other Hyundai topics on this forum, and this is a leading forum on EV's.

Sure, maybe I shouldn't use Tesla as the yardstick, but year after year they are making massive growth in the EV market, heavy investment, and seems so far like everyone is chasing after them.

Just strikes me that so far Jag and Hyundai are still peddling EV's as if they are ICE's, and that really makes little sense, and trying to get more than a handful of reviews is difficult if it's not a Tesla.

Happy to have a reasonable discussion about it, but I'm not sure who "we" are and where we are going, or want to.

This discussion was, as originally started, about the second time I went to look at a Kona and actually finally got to talk to a salesperson.

Theres not really any aim or direction to this conversation beyond conversation.

User avatar
4Springs
Senior Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu, 23 Dec 2010, 01:14
Real Name: Christopher Walkden
Location: Selbourne, TAS

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by 4Springs » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:35

Kasterborus wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:13
Theres not really any aim or direction to this conversation beyond conversation.
I like that - very quotable.

My 2c worth about Hyundai sales people.
We have been working with the single Blue Drive Hyundai dealer in our state. They don't know a heap about their cars, but can you blame them? They received a total of six Konas to sell. Five sold before they could get their demo one registered (within 5 days). The demo one sold shortly afterwards. This was the sales staff's entire experience with this car!

From a conversation I heard with a Hyundai dealer, apparently EV tyre-kickers are the worst. They come in and know a heap about the vehicle - and they want to tell you all about it. You don't want to put them off, but you have other stuff to do rather than talk to them for 30 minutes. Then they take the vehicle for a test drive that takes hours, racking up 100s of kms on the car. Then they don't buy it.
The cars don't have much margin on them, and the servicing is almost non-existent. So you can see that a dealer would be better served by selling you a petrol car, or moving you on to another dealer.
With this in mind, we have an excellent relationship with our local dealer. They have a mindset that this is the way of the future, and they have to find a way to make it work for them. They are very happy to lend us (AEVA) vehicles for us to show, since they know that we love to talk about them.

User avatar
bladecar
Senior Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue, 05 Jul 2011, 16:32
Location: Brisbane

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by bladecar » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:47

You say "researching them" but you make little comment about the cars themselves other than to bring up issues about peripherals and what might be.

Then you talked about a salesman talking smack against tesla but proceeded to do what you said the salesman did by taking the word of a "salesman" who made you understand that hyundai would quickly repair an ev hyundai whereas, you say he said, tesla would take a very long time to even act on repairs.

You write like an informed ev enthusiast but discuss things like an uninformed ev enthusiast. And you are gumming up the gears.

Either ask questions, or give answers...

This crap does no good for the aeva site.

What do you care what the salesmen know. Anyone who has got close enough to an Australian car salesman knows that usually there is only one salesman chosen to deal with the difficult cases (ev s) and that it is business as usual until all they can import are ev s. Because Australia doesn't make cars and the overseas manufacturers are moving to making predominantly ev s.
Not because they want to but because of climate change (china) and their performance cars can no longer compete with performance ev s (europe)

So on this site, we all wish to learn from each other about the vehicles we own, mainly, and help each other find out about our cars so that we don't have to buy one to find these things out for ourselves.

You do not appear to be one of these people even though some of what you write is mainstream. Unfortunately, only some of it.

Anyone who just drops in on this site will find your stuff just plain confusing at times, and this is why I have taken an interest in it.

You have as much right to put stuff here, as we all know, but it will help if most people can see that it is useful stuff, either for you, or for us.

Kasterborus
Groupie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 17:14
Real Name: Chris

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by Kasterborus » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:55

bladecar wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:47
Then you talked about a salesman talking smack against tesla but proceeded to do what you said the salesman did by taking the word of a "salesman" who made you understand that hyundai would quickly repair an ev hyundai whereas, you say he said, tesla would take a very long time to even act on repairs.


Actually it's quite well known that sometimes Tesla service centres can be backed for months for repairs to accident damaged vehicles. Plenty of videos on YouTube about people unhappy with that aspect.
bladecar wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:47
What do you care what the salesmen know. Anyone who has got close enough to an Australian car salesman knows that usually there is only one salesman chosen to deal with the difficult cases (ev s) and that it is business as usual until all they can import are ev s.
Thats fine, salesmen aren't exerts. Last ICE I bought I had questions the couldnt answer, we agreed to a time I could chat to one of the service technicians, I walked out of the service department and bought a car, it's really a simple process selling cars....
bladecar wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:47
Anyone who just drops in on this site will find your stuff just plain confusing at times, and this is why I have taken an interest in it.
Yeah sorry about that, the research for the wife to go to an EV as well as me trying to plan my EV project truck is probably sending a bunch of messages. Similarly confused a stalker on Facebook who couldn't understand that I had two seperated interests in EV's on different levels.

User avatar
bladecar
Senior Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue, 05 Jul 2011, 16:32
Location: Brisbane

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by bladecar » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:58

kasterboros said:

Call it suspicious if you like, I really don't care.

I started at the leading manufacturer, researched the hell out of them, they seem to be the yardstick to compare to.

Yes, I intend to buy one, yet it seems that so far 2/3 salesmen have had little to no idea about the cars they're selling beyond "It runs on electricity"

Plus cars like the Kona there's little info out here, there is only 8 other Hyundai topics on this forum, and this is a leading forum on EV's.

Well, I do think it's suspicious. Conversation for conversation's sake is what's driving me up the wall. A lack of direction or useful content.
And on many topics, not just this one. I think: Back to your skateboard.


Well now you've "researched the hell out of them" and what a wonderful job you've done. I know all about them now.

Put your order in and start informing everyone about your new car.

User avatar
bladecar
Senior Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue, 05 Jul 2011, 16:32
Location: Brisbane

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by bladecar » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 20:02

Thats fine, salesmen aren't exerts. Last ICE I bought I had questions the couldnt answer, we agreed to a time I could chat to one of the service technicians, I walked out of the service department and bought a car, it's really a simple process selling cars....



Yeah sorry about that, the research for the wife to go to an EV as well as me trying to plan my EV project truck is probably sending a bunch of messages. Similarly confused a stalker on Facebook who couldn't understand that I had two seperated interests in EV's on different levels.
[/quote]

Yes, an ev and a skateboard.

But do tell: What was it that you needed to know from a "service technician" about your new car before you could go out and buy it right there and then.

User avatar
bladecar
Senior Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue, 05 Jul 2011, 16:32
Location: Brisbane

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by bladecar » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 20:04

Kasterboros said:

Thats fine, salesmen aren't exerts. Last ICE I bought I had questions the couldnt answer, we agreed to a time I could chat to one of the service technicians, I walked out of the service department and bought a car, it's really a simple process selling cars....

"It's really a simply process selling cars" Did you mean Buying Cars.

Kasterborus
Groupie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 17:14
Real Name: Chris

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by Kasterborus » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 20:14

bladecar wrote:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
"It's really a simply process selling cars" Did you mean Buying Cars.
No, selling them.

As in the salesmen who sell them it's simple.

Answer the questions, show me a good product, and I'll probably buy it.

Unlike another dealership when I bought my Ute, went in for a dual cab Ute, tried to sell me a thoroughbred horse....I probably shouldn't take that Offroad....

But hey, probably better commission on some cars.

Post Reply