2020 Ioniq

Hyundai Interest Group
syntaxfx
Groupie

Re: 2020 Ioniq

Post by syntaxfx »

jonescg wrote: Sat, 23 May 2020, 20:38 A Better Route Planner is a bit clumsy; seems to want to back track unless I'm doing something wrong?
Yes, ABRP does do strange things.
The back tracking occurs when you override charge levels and it thinks that won't be enough to make the next waypoint, based on your required arrival charge.
One I find amusing is when I put in a run from Sydney to Newcastle, it uses the motorway (good). On the return trip, it uses the motorway to Mt. White and then decides to use the Old Pacific Hwy down to the Hawkesbury River before rejoining the motorway.

Still, overall it's a very useful program.
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

syntaxfx wrote: Tue, 26 May 2020, 08:14 Still, overall it's a very useful program.
Side note: If you found routing being weird, try the same route at http://www.openstreetmap.org with the "Car (OSRM)" setting. It could be that some speed limit data is missing or an intersection has some turn setting incorrect.
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

Chuq wrote: Tue, 26 May 2020, 10:22
syntaxfx wrote: Tue, 26 May 2020, 08:14 Still, overall it's a very useful program.
Side note: If you found routing being weird, try the same route at http://www.openstreetmap.org with the "Car (OSRM)" setting. It could be that some speed limit data is missing or an intersection has some turn setting incorrect.
Interesting that GraphHopper can get it right...
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
jonescg

Re: 2020 Ioniq Wh/km

Post by jonescg »

Curious to see what sort of range estimates folks are getting with their 2020 Ioniqs.

My wife hopped in today after charging to full overnight and it read 499 km! At the bottom of the hill we had 516 km.

I presume this is based on the last 5 km of driving, which was no doubt very light - around 80 Wh/km, or barely 5 kW of power to the road at 60 km/h!

We're off to Albany this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how we manage on the open road.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Hahahaha! Turns out she was reading the odometer not the guessometer.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Wow, my car has 294000 km of range. Not bad for 14kWh :D
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

335 km is the best we've seen around town. But on the highway I reckon 250 kmis dependable.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

We just got back from our trip to Albany this WA day long weekend. Last year's EV long weekend was off to Esperance in a Zoe, but this was something a little more manageable at short notice. The Ioniq is very comfortable, and all the cruise control features are pretty good. Dealing with a car slowing down in front was interesting, as it wouldn't quickly get back up to speed when they turned off. Otherwise it was way easier than a noisy, smelly 5-speed 100 mm from the bitumen.

We left home with a full charge of 335 km and got to Williams (155 km away, with a 200 m drop and 200 m rise in elevation). We still had an estimated 150 km left on the guessometer (GOM), but plugged into the Tesla destination charger at the Woolshed anyway. Being a single phase onboard charger it delivered a whopping 3.5 kW while we got takeaway coffee. It has been turned down to 16 A due to wiring limitations, so not that useful. If it was three phase it would be a fairly useful rate.

Pushed on a further 40 km south to Arthur River where the GOM was suggesting 20% battery remained, and about 50 km of range. Jon Edwards had just serviced the Chargepod so it was ready to roll. It's a simple idea - a 60 kVA generator and a Tritium Veefil charger. Start generator, charge car, turn off generator, pay at the counter and drive off. Of course, you need to be ready to answer inane questions from too-smart-by-half bystanders about diesel and EVs. But in the absence of a decent power supply in the bush, it worked great.
20200530_130435.jpg
20200530_130435.jpg (261.88 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Our Ioniq at the Chargepod, Arthur River Roadhouse.

The 2020 Ioniq charges s l o w l y. From 20% it starts off around 32 kW, then hits a bit of a high water mark at 43 kW, but as soon as it hits 50% SOC, it drops back to 30 kW, then 22, then 14 kW... And stays at 14 kW until you're sick of waiting. We must have charged for about 40 mins to get to 85%. That was 22 kWh. Figuring Albany was just 208 km away, an estimated 226 km range would leave a safe buffer.

We briefly stopped in Kojonup for a toilet stop, and I tried the newer Tesla destination charger. No dice. @MDK , Ali and I installed the 32 A socket there some years back, but I didn't bother bringing any adaptors. We know the bush standard works at least. Kojonup is exactly 250 km from home, so it would be possible to drive in a single hit at 100 km/h and no heat or AC. Since the Ioniq charges faster at the bottom end of the battery capacity, you would actually make good time charging to 80% in Kojonup and then pushing on to Albany. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll see a charger there.

It was all looking pretty good till we got to Mount Barker (50 km from Albany). The GOM was saying 70 km remained, but by the time we got to Narrikup (just 26 km past Barker) it was now saying 40 km remained. Then as we passed my old work, the Sandalwood factory (15 km from Albany) the GOM went to its nebulous (--) :shock: The amber turtle showed up on the lower right of the dash, but we weren't being held back at all. Perhaps acceleration might have been limited because speed certainly wasn't. Finally we pulled in at the motel where a Tesla destination charger was waiting for us. Just 4% remained on the GOM. It seems the Ioniq's ability to guess range is OK until you get to the sweaty end of range anxiety, and then it gets overwhelmed and gives up. It took a solid 6 hours at 7 kW to bring it back to a full 311 km the next morning.

We did some noodling around the town we once called home for a bit over a year. It's like an aged care home with streetlights, except the COV-19 restrictions are making look even more desolate. I remember reading a US sailor once remarked "Albany is one third the size of New York Cemetery and twice as dead" while Charles Darwin lamented on an extended repair stay in the port city - "We staid (sic) there eight days and I do not remember since leaving England having passed a more dull, uninteresting time."

Obligatory photo of the EV at the windfarm:
20200531_104438.jpg
20200531_104438.jpg (161.52 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
I had hoped to catch up with several old acquaintances and friends, but only a couple made the effort. A very Albany thing to do I've found. We hadn't been back since the afternoon we drove back up the highway, just over 3 years ago. Not only had nothing materially changed, the main street was even more desolate. Shops were sort of going through the motions of what life used to be like before the virus, and nobody seemed to be enjoying themselves. The shops weren't making any money, but felt the need to open just to get some life back in the town. It's not a good time for regional retail, but it's also not a good time in general. Depression and anxiety is written all over people's faces as they wait outside take-out windows, where they once sat at tables for a night in. My friend informed me that a former colleague's husband had taken his own life, leaving her with a mortgage and a heart full of sorrow. And that more or less set the tone for the trip. We couldn't wait to get home.

After a very lousy night's sleep, we caught up with some friends in town who are thinking of getting a Kangoo ZE van for their fresh produce business. It would be a great fit for their ethics and the nature of the work. At 10:30 we set off north again, stopping briefly at Mt Barker in the hope we might get a delicious pie or two. Well every traveller in the the south had the same idea, and I'm pretty sure the 1.5 m spacing rule was well ignored. Abandoning that idea we pushed on to Kojonup where a couple of salad rolls were bought before pushing on up to Arthur River for our mid-point charge. Again, with 20% SOC and about an indicated 50 km range remaining it took 60 minutes to add 26.8 kWh. At these sorts of rates, a 22 kW onboard charger would be better value than a fast charger. At least we had a solid 60 km range buffer for the second leg. I daresay we could have made it to Williams on a single charge (250 km) but you would be rolling in on stray cations being evicted from their anode apartment.

We got home at about 4:30 pm. Not bad considering we'd dithered around in Mt Barker and Koji looking for food and toilets, while the leg from Williams to Home was at 110 km/h when we weren't behind the 'Douth Long Weekend Conga line'.

So in short the car is very comfortable to drive, and the range is almost perfect. I say almost because I'd feel better about a genuine 275 km highway range, rather than the 250 km it probably has. And the two towns worth stopping at are both 250 km from the starting point. The charging is frustratingly slow if you're after a full charge for the next leg, but if you were comfortable doing most of your driving in the red zone, you could probably get most of a charge in by 45 mins. After squeaking it into Albany with 4% left, we decided charging to 90% was a safer bet.
bladecar

Post by bladecar »

Very interesting :)
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 01 Jun 2020, 19:58
The 2020 Ioniq charges s l o w l y...
Thanks for detailed writeup there Chris!

Starting to taper at 50% SoC is rather low. Since your car is new, temperature limit is a likely scenario (my guess). I do wish ioniq has an equivalent leafspy!

If my dilapidated leaf is 'only' limited to 13kW after 5 minute charging (even at low SoC), surely, your new batteries can handle more than that. The difference is, I can see mine is limited due to cell voltage (I.e. 4.1V). Polarisation effect is a b*tch.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

It's also a function of the voltage of the battery. It's only 86 cells in series, so 360 V max. A DC fast charger is limited at 120 A, so that's a peak of 43 kW. But since 360 V is the maximum, the charge will be tapering at the 3.9 V per cell stage. So I think there's room to charge faster, but not much faster.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

https://youtu.be/fzkiAAOlyUs

Bjørn’s DC charging comparisons
e-208, ioniq, Zoe, zs ev
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 60
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yeah it sure seems like you'd be better off spending your time charging in the lower end of the battery's range. But that doesn't change the fact that it's still got ~260 km to a charge. Sure, charging above 50% SOC is slower, but you've already got more range than would have if you'd started charging at 5%. It really depends on the length of the next leg as to whether it's worth sticking around at the charger for longer or not.

In the case of a trip to Esperance, you'd probably need a coffee charge at Brookton to ensure you squeak it into Lake Grace (190 km). Then charge at Lake Grace for 45 mins, or up to about 70% SOC. This should be enough to get to Ravey (185 km), where again, you'd charge for 45 mins and have the range to get to Esperance (187 km away). Minimising the amount of time spent charging is a detailed art!
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

My typical week commuting:
20200604_173853.jpg
20200604_173853.jpg (126.44 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

jonescg wrote: Tue, 09 Jun 2020, 16:32 My typical week commuting:
20200604_173853.jpg
That is extremely impressive :shock:
What would be your average speed to give us a better idea?
No freeway and no heating I assume.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yeah no heater. Its Perth so it would need to be pretty cold to justify unless the screen fogged up.
Mainly 70 zones and medium traffic. Each drive is about 50 mins each.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Oh, the really good numbers are downhill. The higher numbers are uphill. There's about a 250 m elevation difference between home and work.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

No wonder they alternate

10kwh/100km is amazing
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

jonescg wrote: Tue, 09 Jun 2020, 21:49 Oh, the really good numbers are downhill. The higher numbers are uphill. There's about a 250 m elevation difference between home and work.
I was sure you were going to say that the good numbers are Katherine, and the higher numbers are Chris. :D
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Chris, you are going to be harder to spot on Leach Hwy without the Blackbird, but I'll keep my eyes out for the new Singapore taxi.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

The way to spot this particular whitegood is the RTR sticker on the bumper :)
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

I'm considering a 2019 IONIQ Elite, comments on this ex-demo please vs a brand new 2020 model:
http://carsearch.colcrawford.com.au/vie ... /19911025/
And as per thread in the General section, I'm also considering a LEAF.
Thanks.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

~$47k drive away is awfully close to the $50k drive away price of the 2020 Ioniq for AEVA members.

Send me an email on secretary@aeva.asn.au and I'll fill you in.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

My Kona was at the dealer today for its 30’000km service.
I took the opportunity to ask Doncaster Hyundai for a full EV Ionic as a loan car.
I drove about 100km in the top of the range Ionic Premium.

Well, I have to admit that if you forget the range difference* (311km vs 449km WLTP), the Ionic is a better car in every way. Don’t shoot me, these are just personal opinions:

More quiet. Possibly due to the better Michelin Premacy 4 instead of the very average Nexen.

Better interior in general. More spacious all around, very noticeable for the rear passengers.
Bigger boot (possibly not if you count the big cavity under the floor, but when your boot is full of parts and tools or camping gear, accessing it is extremely impractical. This is why I need that frunk/froot thing), although possibly not as practical shape wise.
Memory seat! Yes thank you. At $70k, the top of the range Kona should really have this option.
Hard to explain but it just feels more "premium" in the Ionic.

I have always liked SUVs for the ride height and visibility, and the boot size and shape. But as mentioned, all my tools and spare parts for my job fitted better in the Ionic, and I didn’t really notice a big difference in the ride height and view forward and sides. Between the seat at max top position (I'm 174cm short) and the skateboard batteries under, it feel much higher than a Toyota Corolla.
One beef, I know it may look good from the outside but this horizontal pillar obscuring the rear view… A perfect example of form over function. Thankfully partially compensated by a good quality rear view camera. Rear view that can be seen at the press of a button at any speed. Cool!

And the lane keep assist ACTUALLY assists. Not sure if the Kona has all the hardware required but the bouncing from side to side is NOT a lane keep assistant.

But it’s not perfect. If you have even mild OCD, the shiny piano black finish with finger marks all over is very annoying. Besides, nothing beats a good old button to minimise the need to take my eyes off the road. The do like the bigger screen and possibility to split it in thirds. Perfect for nerds. Map on 2 third and EV data on 1 third. But is it me or you can’t customise that third when in Android Auto?

As for 100kW/295Nm instead of 150/395, possibly due to the weight difference, it sure doesn't feel sluggish, and still more fun than any ICE cars I've had.
And the flip side is that the efficiency is even better than the Kona. My current consumption from new on the Kona is 12.7KWh/100km, I'm thinking that 11.0 to 11.5 average is achievable.

So my first (and only) 100km impressions, scatter a few more fast chargers to compensate of the range difference and it could be my next car.
Unless I go all out and get the Rivian R1T or R1S ;) I’m just not sure how you’re supposed to park these monsters in a small underground car park…
And let's not forget that the top of the range Ionic is about $13'000 cheaper than the top of the range Kona. Not negligible. And I could probably buy 3 or 4 for the price of the R1S.

*About the range, for those who don't know, I drive 40'000km per year and can't see the point of installing a charger at my house. 240Vac 10A is all I need and very rarely at that.
PlugShare is a great charging station location app that I use extensively to plug all over the place and mostly for free.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yeah that's why we went for the Ioniq. It's a much better fit with our needs. And I hate SUVs.
Agree on all those points, except I will add I've never had a new anything before in my life, so it's all pretty cool to me.
Visibility out the back is no big deal - my Honda CRX has exactly the same issue, so we're used to it.

My gripes - the speed of fast charging is way too slow. If you need at least 200 km range to get to the next charger or destination, you need to spend at least an hour at a charger. After an hour, your average rate is 25 kW! Sure, it starts off at 43 kW, but pretty quickly you find it ticking over at a paltry 14 kW.

Also, the reversing gong is too loud. I'm sure my neighbours are sick of hearing it...