Primacy 4 vs E-primacy + suggestions?

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
KonaDan
Noobie

Primacy 4 vs E-primacy + suggestions?

Post by KonaDan »

Hello all. 9500km into my Factory P4 tyres about to do the first rotation.

Got a few questions.
1) how many Kms should one hope for? From the tread depth measurements I’ve taken My estimate at this point is I’ll be lucky to get 25-30k out of them? Is this ballpark respectable. Admittedly I probably take corners a tad faster than I should. I don’t feel it when driving but, as a passenger I feel I could slow down a tad if it becomes apparent from your replies that 25-30 is way below expected tyre life.

2) has anyone fitted the e primacy tyres? They claiming a 7% boost to battery efficiency. How do you rate them?

3) is there any limitations to fitting tyres when it comes to warranty? Im sure I’ve read something somewhere about needing to fit specific types or brands?

4) any better alternatives? My driving style is urban mostly and some highway. Mainly looking to achieve best range for wear. Handling not so much an issue in this instance.
KonaDan
Noobie

Re: Primacy 4 vs E-primacy + suggestions?

Post by KonaDan »

Found this also out of interest to others.

Paul
8 months ago
(3) Rolling resistance tests performed on test benches by Applus Idiada, at Michelin’s request, on new tires in June 2020 and on tires milled to 2mm tread depth in August 2020, on size 205/55 R16 91V, comparing MICHEILIN e∙PRIMACY (new: 5.58 kg/t – worn: 5.13 kg/t) to MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 (new: 7.74 kg/t – worn: 6.25 kg/t); BRIDGESTONE TURANZA T005 (new: 7.17 kg/t – worn: 5.81 kg/t); CONTINENTAL ECOCONTACT 6 (new: 6.39 kg/t – worn: 5.49kg/t); CONTINENTAL PREMIUM CONTACT 6 (new: 8.93 kg/t – worn: 6.94 kg/t); DUNLOP BLURESPONSE (new: 7.97 kg/t – worn: 5.54 kg/t); GOODYEAR EFFICIENT GRIP 2 (new: 7.01 kg/t – worn: 5.38 kg/t); PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 BLUE (new: 6.96 kg/t – worn: 6.30 kg/t); PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 (new: 8.79 kg/t – worn: 6.97 kg/t). Results may vary depending on driving practices, vehicle and tire pressure.
shallowal
Groupie

Post by shallowal »

A very interesting table, but what does the measurement value mean, kg/t?.
Also, do you have a link to the original document?
KonaDan
Noobie

Post by KonaDan »

I instantly regretted not copying the link sorry.

From what I researched kg/this the rolling resistance exerted into the tyre eg 6kg per tonne

So I imagine in a vacuum with zero other forces at play this would be the energy loss slowing the car down.

Really in depth articles available around this when it comes to cycling sports.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

I have 4 x MICHEILIN e∙PRIMACY ordered to be fitted next week some time. These will replace the worn Micheilen Pilot Sport 4 that are currently on my Kona. Maybe I will have a 500 km range Kona.
DanSA
Noobie

Post by DanSA »

How did u find them mate?
We have PS4 on the Ioniq.

Tossing up between them and primacy 4 to replace the crappy Nexens on the Kona

Any feedback welcome
2018 Ioniq 28kWhr - the efficiency Queen
2019 Kona - the range King
2017 Leaf 30X - the Entrée (sold)
5.3kW PV with SMA 5kW Inverter - living the dream 8-)
32kL Rainwater - Love those home grown veg
KonaDan
Noobie

Post by KonaDan »

brunohill wrote: Tue, 22 Feb 2022, 21:01 I have 4 x MICHEILIN e∙PRIMACY ordered to be fitted next week some time. These will replace the worn Micheilen Pilot Sport 4 that are currently on my Kona. Maybe I will have a 500 km range Kona.

How many kms did you get? I’ve done 15000. And about to do second rotation.. I’m thinking I’ll be lucky to get 30-40
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

I can't compare the E-primacy to the primacy 4 or Nexens but to very worn Pilot sport 4 they are giving a constant 8 % increase in range. They are quieter, I can now hear gear noises etc that I could not before because of road noise. My fairly accurate guessometer now tells me that I get 511 km at 100% charge compared to 474 km after the battery was replaced. This ties in with the average consumption now saying 12.5 kWh per 100 km compared to 13.5 kWh per 100 km.
I also got to test my FG falcon space saver spare for 4 days after a split pin from somebodies trailer hitch found it's way almost into the sidewall of one of new E-primacy tyres. They had to order a new one because they don't normally have them in stock.
I got about 30,000 km out of the PS4s.
DanSA
Noobie

Post by DanSA »

Good feed back and great range increase !

What about wet weather grip?

The FG works well huh. I tested mine before a big road trip. Perfect fit! And boot floor sits nice and flat. Great solution for the Kona.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

DanSA wrote: Sun, 03 Apr 2022, 05:25
I guess that will be the compromise. We have not really had much rain here to test it yet but I did have a slight woopsy today when I gave it a little squirt to move out of the way on a round about and the traction control cut in. A lot of my driving is on dirt anyway, and there is no grip.
NickJP
Noobie

Post by NickJP »

DanSA wrote: Sun, 03 Apr 2022, 05:25 Good feed back and great range increase !

We replaced the Nexen tyres with E-Primacy a few weeks ago, after having had several skittish moments in wet conditions with the Nexens. My wife had to do a panic stop in the rain last week when encountering a sudden obstruction on a bend in the rain, and said that the car didn't skid, which quite surprised her.
DanSA
Noobie

Post by DanSA »

Good feedback - thanks
DanSA
Noobie

Post by DanSA »

Getting 4x 215/55/17 Michelin E-Primacy ST fitted on Friday. 250ea (BJ price matched)
Just in time for the wet weather..

Let you know how I go..
KonaDan
Noobie

Post by KonaDan »

So my tyre journey has taken me a bit off to the side looking into some reviews a big part of the rolling resistance is due to the tread depth being so low. I’m wondering if a different tyre like a pilot sport 4 or 5 with Tyne extra tread depth would be a better bet? These tyres have significantly worse stopping than a non ev tyre has anyone done more research into this? I’ll post a link the guy at the tree shop shows me
DanSA
Noobie

Post by DanSA »

Initial feedback,

Went for a 500km adventure on the weekend to take advantage of the free rapid chargers up north. (total cost $0 - thanks NRMA)
Good change to get a feel of new tires;
- much better steering feel
- much quieter (old Nexens had 30k on thos tbf)
- grip is improved in wet

Haven't got enough kms under belt to see about range increase yet, plus going into winter with 3deg mornings, so range will be falling atm anyways, but will observe long term trend.

Happy with them, especially at price I got, and confident I should get good wear too. (and better than my wifes Ioniq on Michy PS4 rubber)
ferij
Noobie

Post by ferij »

A video here that might help. All these reviews must be taken with a grain of salt, and tyres from different markets are made with different compounds , tread depth etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUDXxcoYo3I