IONIQ 5 - orders open October 12

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
Chuq
Groupie

IONIQ 5 - orders open October 12

Post by Chuq »

Mostly summarised in the following email that was sent to those who had registered their interest:

Worth noting, Hyundai is only selling these via their national office, not dealers. I understand people who have paid deposits to dealers have been asked to get their deposits refunded before September 27 (via a differently worded email sent at the same time).

We still don't know how much it will cost! But those who have received the "Sept 27" email have reported the email also says the online configurator will also open up on that date. So we might get pricing and option details at that point.

After that, anyone who received this email will have the option of ordering on Oct 12, then the general public on Oct 13.

It's a bit hard to predict what sales will be like without the price, I suspect if they start in the mid $60k's they may even sell out their initial 400 vehicles on the day. Bear in mind most of the specs we see in reviews (range, etc) are for the higher spec edition. This is a handy summary of the entry-level model: https://ev-database.org/car/1476/Hyunda ... -Range-2WD
jonescg

Re: IONIQ 5 - orders open October 12

Post by jonescg »

It's got the range, the looks, and a towing capacity. I reckon it will be popular.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Yep I'm registered and very interested. It meets a number of the requirements we couldn't get with the Kona in particularly the towing, extra rear passenger leg room and bigger boot. Without a price though its all still a maybe option for me.
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
t.wardrop
Noobie

Post by t.wardrop »

As one of the pre-orderers who will have the 27th September access I was called last month and was given more information and had a chance to ask questions.

This tranche of cars will only be the top trim with large battery, and you will be choosing from what already has been or is being built. Price will be $70-75k for the RWD and $75-80k for AWD both driveaway. Exact specs and pricing will come when it is launched.

In Victoria there are 2 dealers which will handle deliveries on behalf of head office. Despite the central ordering process, I was told I would be able to test drive before committing, and that I would still be able to trade in my existing car. First deliveries are supposed to be in October, though my understanding is that there will be more than one shipment before the end of the year so delivery would depend on availability of exactly the configuration I select.
reecho

Post by reecho »

200 of the cars have firm orders apparently.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Does anyone have any information about the heaters for the Ioniq 5?

Our Kona EV comes with resistive heater, but European models have the Reverse cycle A/c which is much more efficient. Really makes no sense why they offer Australia the less efficient heater option. Certainly noticed it this winter in Fridgetown (aka Bridgetown).

Also what about the roof solar panels - any specs on this and how much generation? Is this standard on the upcoming release or an option? With a 3-hr one way road trip weekly, in our Australian sun, trying to work out if this is a no brainer or just window dressing with no real impact. Spending that much on the car, we will be tucking it away safely in the garage not the sun when not in use.
Lorax

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
t.wardrop
Noobie

Post by t.wardrop »

The solar panels aren't coming to Australia according to what journos said during their walkarounds of a pre-production car earlier this year. They are only 205 W peak anyway. Even if you parked all day every day in the sun you'd get at best 300 kWh/year, probably a lot less. Maybe 1000-2000 km even with some generous assumptions.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

$75k to $79k drive away for the long range 2WD / AWD options.

So pretty comparable to long range Model Y And a bit more expensive than the Kia eNiro.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

One of the things we DON'T like (or understand) is the type of heater our Kona EV has. for some reason the Aussie market vehicles have the resistive option, while the europeans have the more energy efficient R/C (or so my hubby tells me).

So I asked the question about the new IONIQ5. And this was their response ...
Please be advised that the heater for the Ioniq 5 is a PTC heater.

The resistance of PTC heating devices differs significantly from traditional resistive heating. The resistance changes inversely proportional to the temperature of the device but in a non-linear fashion.

A traditional resistor
A resistive device in a circuit inhibits current flow and creates heat but at a fixed amount. The resistance of the device does not change. The current and power of the circuit remain constant according to ohm's law.

PTC Resistors’ Characteristics
Ohm's Law still applies to the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit containing a PTC heating element but the element itself changes resistance based on its temperature.
The ceramic stones' ambient temperature that makes up a PTC heating element has a positive temperature coefficient(PTC). As the temperature increases, the device's resistance increases making it more efficient.
This was hubby's response ...
It is total bullshit.
In fact they should be taken to consumer affairs and flogged.
Just cos the resistance varies does not change the fact the heat out is 1:1 with the electrical energy input.
For our Kona EV, turning the heater on has a significant impact on range, especially on trips to BT. Might be a deal breaker for me (well at least for the first round of vehicle releases).
Lorax

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

LORAX wrote: Thu, 23 Sep 2021, 15:19 As the temperature increases, the device's resistance increases making it more efficient.
Up until that point, it was all factually correct, while being completely irrelevant to efficiency.

It's a typical beginner's error confusing temperature with thermal energy. Just because the ceramic is hot, doesn't mean it will significantly heat the cabin. To do that, you typically have to blow a fan through it, which reduces the temperature, but transfers more heat to the cabin by decreasing the resistance and hence drawing more electrical energy.

Energy has to be conserved. Even the "extra" heat from a heat pump has to come from somewhere; they take the extra heat from the ambient air, making the surroundings slightly colder.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
reecho

Post by reecho »

LORAX wrote: Thu, 23 Sep 2021, 15:19 One of the things we DON'T like (or understand) is the type of heater our Kona EV has. for some reason the Aussie market vehicles have the resistive option, while the europeans have the more energy efficient R/C (or so my hubby tells me).

So I asked the question about the new IONIQ5. And this was their response ...
Please be advised that the heater for the Ioniq 5 is a PTC heater.

The resistance of PTC heating devices differs significantly from traditional resistive heating. The resistance changes inversely proportional to the temperature of the device but in a non-linear fashion.

A traditional resistor
A resistive device in a circuit inhibits current flow and creates heat but at a fixed amount. The resistance of the device does not change. The current and power of the circuit remain constant according to ohm's law.

PTC Resistors’ Characteristics
Ohm's Law still applies to the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit containing a PTC heating element but the element itself changes resistance based on its temperature.
The ceramic stones' ambient temperature that makes up a PTC heating element has a positive temperature coefficient(PTC). As the temperature increases, the device's resistance increases making it more efficient.
This was hubby's response ...
It is total bullshit.
In fact they should be taken to consumer affairs and flogged.
Just cos the resistance varies does not change the fact the heat out is 1:1 with the electrical energy input.
For our Kona EV, turning the heater on has a significant impact on range, especially on trips to BT. Might be a deal breaker for me (well at least for the first round of vehicle releases).
I disagree that the PTC heater in the Kona has a significant impact on range. When you set out the range estimations claim this but in reality it's far less. Unless the EV in question only has a heat pump you are unlikely to see them here. Our climate overall doesn't warrant it and it adds considerable cost
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

When you set out the range estimations claim this but in reality it's far less.
Our experience has been that usually we will have about 150-170km estimated range left (Perth - BT a/c on) from fully charged, but with the heater going, we are always under 100km estimated range left (albeit its typically been bad weather/road conditions).
Lorax

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Water on the road and a cold battery make a big impact on range. Certainly more than the PTC heater anyway.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Orders are open! Fail.. (same message over 4x attempts over the past hour)

LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Yep. Same for me. Had to get to work so gave up. Was really only to have a peak at the offered features. Without heat pump I decided to wait to see initial aussie reviews.
Lorax

EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

I've managed to secure one. Well they did take my money so I guess I have.
Still not the perfect car, but pretty close.
No solar roof for Australia? If any country should get it I thought it would be Australia.
No heat pump? Why? No 240Vac power point on the inside?
So if anyone is after a very well looked after Kona with a new battery in the next few weeks, very rarely charged pass 90%, charged 98% of the time below 3.3kWh, it will be on the market as soon as I have a delivery date for the Ioniq 5
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf
2022 Galactic grey AWD Hyundai Ioniq 5
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - Sold
Aptera and Savic reservation holder
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

You're one of the lucky few, @EVdownUnder!

To be honest at $71k+ I wasn't really going to be able to afford it, but I was interested in looking at the configurator option.

And selling them all out so quickly is a great sign for EVs in Australia. Hopefully other manufacturers take note!
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi Patrick - I think you'll like the Ioniq 5. Had a loan of one for the last week - most impressive! (Have BTW written up a 'first impressions' article for TheDriven. It just went up today).
Seemed to sell itself whenever I met anyone and chatted about it.

When do you take delivery of yours Patrick?

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Bryce wrote: Tue, 02 Nov 2021, 12:24 Have BTW written up a 'first impressions' article for TheDriven. It just went up today.
That would be this one: Ioniq 5 first impressions: An electric Tardis that can power your tools .
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

"Battery:

· 6 kWh (usable)"

That's a little underwhelming :o @Bryce, you might want to use your remote edit-foo (if that's possible) to update that, I suspect it should say 72.6 kWh (as per the EV Database).
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Er - I don't do the uploading or editing of the articles! (Although I really should remember not to send dot-pointed numbers with decimal points. Has happened a few times before).

Have let them know to fix it.

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

After an incredible ordering saga, my Ioniq 5 is arriving next week.
This means that my Kona is on the market. Perfect condition with a brand new drive battery.
PM me if interested.
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf
2022 Galactic grey AWD Hyundai Ioniq 5
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - Sold
Aptera and Savic reservation holder