Which 32Amp EVSE charging station should I buy?

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
Newman
Noobie

Which 32Amp EVSE charging station should I buy?

Post by Newman »

I'm leaning towards an Occular 7kW-ish unit, either tethered (great for convenience), or with a socket and separate cable, which I can take with me on a road trip to make use of type 2 charging.
The Occular unit has an LCD screen giving charging info (charging current/kW etc.), it only has a fixed output though, apparently, so adjustment must be done from within the vehicle.

What has been your experience with your home EVSEs?
What do you think I should look for?
jonescg

Re: Which 32Amp EVSE charging station should I buy?

Post by jonescg »

Personally I can't fault the OpenEVSE with a 32 A 5-pin plug. Works out to about $800 landed. Some assembly and knowledge required.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Newman wrote: Wed, 15 Sep 2021, 08:33 I'm leaning towards an Occular 7kW-ish unit, either tethered (great for convenience), or with a socket and separate cable, which I can take with me on a road trip to make use of type 2 charging.
The Occular unit has an LCD screen giving charging info (charging current/kW etc.), it only has a fixed output though, apparently, so adjustment must be done from within the vehicle.

What has been your experience with your home EVSEs?
What do you think I should look for?
Yep I recommend the OpenEVSE too if you are the DIY type. can be adjusted in 1 amp steps. Wifi. Shows charging current and kWh. Timers onboard. Soon to have Tesla API integration. PV divert capability with additional hardware.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - have a look at the Zappi if you have solar and want it to follow the PV output to use home-grown electron flows. (https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/e ... er-at-home) or if you want adjustable from 6A to 32A, the QUBEV (https://store.jetcharge.com.au/collecti ... le-charger).
Alternative: perhaps install a 32A industrial 3 pin outlet and use an adjustable, portable EVSE (eg: Giger/Kwik - same thing, different shops :-) ). Open EVSE is good - but only if you are DIY and electrically aware. It is after all a 240V appliance. Death results from DIY mistakes there!

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

Newman wrote: Wed, 15 Sep 2021, 08:33 What has been your experience with your home EVSEs?
We have a JetCharge Chargemate, installed as part of a trial. It connects to your wifi.
This unit displays basic charge information on the display, but that information disappears when the charging session is finished. So the Energy tally isn't much use, but the Power is good.
PXL_20210827_000203257.jpg
PXL_20210827_000203257.jpg (113.88 KiB) Viewed 138 times
PXL_20210827_000149581.jpg
PXL_20210827_000149581.jpg (135.41 KiB) Viewed 138 times
No adjustments by the user, although an adjustment was made to ours by the installer. He called JetCharge, who were able to reduce the maximum current. We wanted it reduced to 25 A, since our circuit is 32 A for the entire garage.

I emailed JetCharge asking could they alter the display so that it displays the energy for longer. I received a reply that said they are working on an App for their product. Hopefully that will include a bit more user-configuration options.

We haven't had it for long, but so far so good. We use the car's settings to change the current drawn.
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

I'd add that since this is a socket, we leave our cable plugged into it. This means that we've forgotten to take our cable with us on a number of occasions. Never anything disastrous, just couldn't charge from a free charger while parking in town.
Tethered cable has the disadvantage that our parents couldn't use it (they have a Type 1 car), and that it costs more, but otherwise it would be good.
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

4Springs wrote: Wed, 15 Sep 2021, 14:23 No adjustments by the user, although an adjustment was made to ours by the installer. He called JetCharge, who were able to reduce the maximum current. We wanted it reduced to 25 A, since our circuit is 32 A for the entire garage.
As I understand the regulations, an EVSE must be on it's own circuit wired back to it's own breaker (usually 32A) in the main board. The rest of the garage must be on a separate circuit.
You should be able to draw 32A through a 32A breaker.
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - yes, EVSEs must be a completely separate circuit back to the switchboard (with a Type A RCD on the EVSE circuit).

Also - yes, a 32A breaker protecting a 32A breaker is 'ok', but not recommended. (Especially if the 32A breaker is protecting the submains and the sub-board with a 32A EVSE breaker is well away from it. Murphy's Law says the furthest one will always trip first!).

Also - a 32A breaker on a 32A load will cope - but if charging on hot days in the heat of the day, and the breaker is in a switchboard on a N or W outside wall - the breaker may trip on 'overload' after a few hours at that current as the heat sensing component of the breaker will be starting from a high base.

If the EVSE supply cable (and switchboard) are rated for it, a 40A breaker is better. However there are no single DIN Type A RCDs currently available, so if you're short of room in the switchboard, a double DIN might not fit!

Some EVSEs are switchable to lower currents - like the QubeEV (externally by a switch) or the Zappi (by programming) - others can be reset with the addition of resistors to the CP circuit. Your installing electrician should know how to do it. Setting to 24A is a good choice in your situation if the garage is 32A all-up.

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

smithy2167 wrote: Wed, 15 Sep 2021, 21:25 As I understand the regulations, an EVSE must be on it's own circuit wired back to it's own breaker (usually 32A) in the main board. The rest of the garage must be on a separate circuit.
You should be able to draw 32A through a 32A breaker.
By the look of it we have:
Main switchboard: 32 A breaker labelled 'garage'.
Garage sub-board: 40 A breaker labelled 'main', 32 A breaker labelled 'car charger'. I'd assume that these are in series but I don't know.
The garage is about 30 m remote from the main board, with a cable buried under the lawn.

We have two cars that can charge at the same time, so we need to make sure that together they don't exceed 32 A. In theory the Kona draws up to 25 A and the Brumby up to 15 A, so we need to avoid setting them both to their maximum.
Newman
Noobie

Post by Newman »

Thanks everyone for your input, some good info there.
There's some good leads too.

It's a shame they don't make an EVSE with adjustable output and an LCD screen as well, it seems you can only get one or the other.
We have a 6mil cable from the main box with 40Amp RCD (2din) already in place for a charging station. We're ready to go, just got to decide which one to get.