Kona active cooling when unattended

Hyundai Interest Group
bje
Groupie

Kona active cooling when unattended

Post by bje »

In the most recent issue of Renew (issue 153), Andrew Reddaway reviewed his 2019 Ioniq. He raised the idea of insulating his garage roof to lower the temperature inside the garage. While that's always a good idea for a range of reasons, I wondered if the Kona's (and Ioniq's) active cooling of the battery would kick on if the pack temperature reached an unacceptably high level when unattended? I assume it would. Does anyone know for sure?
reecho

Re: Kona active cooling when unattended

Post by reecho »

When we were using a Kona to charge the Tesla Model 3P+ for Targa West we did see that the battery cooling stayed on after the vehicle was switched off. Can't confirm if this behaviour will kick in if the car is unattended.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

No one seems to know for sure, so I've written to Hyundai and will post when I get an answer back.
bje
Groupie

Post by bje »

I was told that the battery cooling kicks in at a temperature that is considerably higher than what the battery could reach at ambient (say 45C max).
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

So if the ambient temperature is over 45'C you may as well have a Nissan LEAF or does it run the battery flat while it is parked and unused? It will be interesting how well the 62 kWh Leaf batteries perform over time, now that they can be compared apples to apples instead of peas to apples.