Kona Software Update

Hyundai Interest Group
syntaxfx
Groupie

Kona Software Update

Post by syntaxfx »

I took my new Kona to the dealer yesterday to get help with manually resetting the trip meter (drive info). The instructions in the manual don't do anything.
They couldn't help me with the trip meter. That query has gone to Hyundai Australia's technical department. Hopefully an answer in a week or two.

However, while they looked at that, they also did a software update. I'm not sure if it was classed as a recall, but among other things, it updated the MCU, BMS, IGPM and VCULDC.
The dealer refused to let me read the associated documentation, so I can't be sure what it was actually fixing.
Going through the menus, I note that the Winter Mode option has gone and so has the Aux. Battery Saver+ option.

Is anyone across this patch? Does the removal of those menu items mean that they happen automagically now?
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof

syntaxfx
Groupie

Re: Kona Software Update

Post by syntaxfx »

I found this link about the update.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/dc-char ... te.150933/

I'll have to test it out at the next fast charge.

Looks like the Winter Mode was removed because we didn't get a battery heater - something I didn't realise when buying the car.
Cheers,
Phil

syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

Hyundai Oz came back to me with some technical info on the update - as it applies to my car. If you're reading this, please assume that your situation could be different (more or less changes than mine):

-----------------
Customer Care (Hyundai Customer Care)
Jun 11, 2020, 9:02:05 AM GMT+10

Dear Phil,

Thank you for your patience whilst I have obtained the answers to your questions.

Hyundai Technical have responded with the following information. Please note winter mode does not apply to your vehicle.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Essentially the system’s sensitivity has been turned up and the frequency of testing has increased.

[Purpose]

This upgrade changes the high voltage battery sensitive and frequently checks for cell voltage deviation and insulation resistance,
so that problems can be identified and taken early in the event of a hazardous situation.

[Changed Logic]
1. Proceed the upgrade, the cell deviation and insulation resistance measurements become sensitive.
1) Cell deviation)

- Before : Detect problems when voltage deviation is higher than 1V.
- After : higher than 100mV (Level 1) / higher than 150mV (Level 2)
2) Insulation Resistance)
- Before : Less than 300kΩ
- After : Less than 900kΩ (Level 1) / Less than 700 kΩ (Level 2)

2. The inspection cycle will be changed as shown below.
- Before : Check the condition of the vehicle once 24 hours after starting off)
(At this time, check the condition of the 12V battery to support charging
from the high voltage battery if the SOC is insufficient)
- After : Monitor the vehicle condition for 2 hours in a row after starting off, then check the condition of the vehicle for 4 hours. (Total of 2.5 days)
* Check for 2 hours in a row for the first time only
* Check the condition of the vehicle once every 24 hours after 2.5 days.
* Check auxiliary battery SOC when monitoring the condition for supplementation.

* NOTE 1) As a result, the dark current can reach up to 300 mA even after starting off.
Based on the logic above, it will be lowered to 50 mA level after 2 hours.
* NOTE 2) In some cases, it is reported that the four controllers are discharged after updating them.
This may occur if the vehicle is parked in a short drive with a large number of auxiliary battery SOCs.
* NOTE 3) In some cases, you may be asked that the battery charge function button is disappeared in the cluster.
When vehicle monitoring starts, the 12V battery SOC is also checked at all the time.
then if insufficient, The auxiliary battery is charged. (The charge logic is always active.)

-----------------
So, my take is that:
1. the Aux. Battery Saver+ is now permanently on.
2. Extra monitoring of the traction battery suggests that they found an issue with balancing and this is the fix. I can't say if this relates to the earlier fires, but I can see how it might.
3. They still insist that nothing else changed on my car, but I know that's not true. eg. I now get brake lights when using the left paddle to stop. Didn't have that before.
Cheers,
Phil

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I heard the Kona had a boost to it's fast charging power - wonder if the Ioniq is due for a similar tweak?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Manto
Noobie

Post by Manto »

Mine had these updates and trying two different fast charging locations yesterday the best I got was 51kw and not the 70kw I was getting before. These updates were done when the car was at the dealers after being bricked by the autolink bug

syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

Manto wrote:
Thu, 11 Jun 2020, 12:34
Mine had these updates and trying two different fast charging locations yesterday the best I got was 51kw and not the 70kw I was getting before. These updates were done when the car was at the dealers after being bricked by the autolink bug
I'm having a similar experience and so are a lot of folk overseas:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/dc-char ... 933/page-5
Cheers,
Phil

doug
Groupie

Post by doug »

Hi,
My Kona Elite (Built 12/18) has his s/w:
OSEV.AUS.SOP.V101.190719.DAU_A
& FIRMWARE: OSEV.AUS.290.190708.MICOM.DL

Can anyone tell me if that is current please?

Also having problem connecting to Autolink Premium (It does have dongle with wires off side). The car is not recognised, but Autolink will not accept VIN?
Tried shutting phone off to restart: still no luck. Samsung S7 Android 8.0.0.

regards, Doug

Ps: I asked the dealer to ensure the s/w was latest before delivery, & he assured me it is??