New EV Charge Stations For North West Victoria

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Chuq
Groupie

Re: New EV Charge Stations For North West Victoria

Post by Chuq »

About that Kerang one, it shows up on the Evie app so I guess that is confirmation?

Also I didn’t notice initially but see in the Plugshare screenshot, the little yellow “kW” readings next to the plug types - that data can’t be entered manually (I don’t think - Plugshare interface has a lot to answer for) and so is indicative of data that has come through from the network operator.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

philupandgo wrote: Sun, 28 Mar 2021, 14:57 Hopefully the DC chargers in Shepparton are still coming in the next month (on Fraser St). Those at the Shep Arts Museum are in addition.
Fraser St is a pokey little street with excellent prospects for being ICEd I would have thought.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

......and we’ve still got at least another 6 months before the Shepparton arts centre chargers, which are complete and live now, will be ‘unveiled’ in an opening ceremony.
Apparently nobody thinks there is any sort of potential demand already and the priority is for a dress-up day instead.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

Nagaman wrote: Sat, 17 Apr 2021, 17:33 ......and we’ve still got at least another 6 months before the Shepparton arts centre chargers, which are complete and live now, will be ‘unveiled’ in an opening ceremony.
Apparently nobody thinks there is any sort of potential demand already and the priority is for a dress-up day instead.
What brand are they? Chargefox, Evie?
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

I'm getting a notification on the main thread list "Last post by brunohill 17 Apr 2021 23:32" but the most recent post displayed to me in this thread is "by philupandgo » 28 Mar 2021 17:57". Is this some forum bug? Anyone else affected?

[Edit: has been fixed by @rhills , thank you Rob!]
Last edited by Chuq on Sun, 25 Apr 2021, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

Perhaps he deleted the last post. Is that possible? Edit: yes it is, but don't know for how long after posting. Edit again: All good now. And of course we can edit, i have done so months after for my 12 year roll-out post.

Meanwhile Harcourt is live with a 25kw Delta charger. For me, this is twice the speed of a 22kw AC charger, seeing i can only get 11kw out of those. And there will soon be a 50kw charger in Castlemaine.
Last edited by philupandgo on Sun, 25 Apr 2021, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I noticed this yesterday, and discussed it with the other admins. Hopefully Rob will get a chance to re-build the index files in the database back end tonight. Hopefully that will fix the missing posts. I suspect that at least 4 are missing, and possibly others from other topics. You can see parts of the posts by searching for keywords such as "Shepparton" or "EV Charge Stations For North West Victoria"; I don't think they'd appear in the search results if they were deleted.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

Chuq wrote: Mon, 19 Apr 2021, 18:48 I'm getting a notification on the main thread list "Last post by brunohill 17 Apr 2021 23:32" but the most recent post displayed to me in this thread is "by philupandgo » 28 Mar 2021 17:57". Is this some forum bug? Anyone else affected?
I quoted and replied to a post by Nagaman about Sheparaton chargers.I hit enter and then I noticed his original post and my reply gone.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Well I've now deleted and rebuilt the indexes accessible via phpBB's Admin interface. I've also gone into the cPanel back end and run all the tools available there over our DB. Nothing specifically named "reindex" (I hate mySQL!) but I tried all the likely culprits like "check tables" (all got the "OK" tick), "Repair Tables" (all "Repaired OK") and "Optimise Tables".

Back here and nothing seems to have changed!

I wonder if there's any problem like this fixed in the phpBB update that's pending for our forum? I've not had time to wade through the upgrade notes, yet alone apply the upgrade. Hopefully that time will open up sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Chuq wrote: Mon, 19 Apr 2021, 18:48 I'm getting a notification on the main thread list "Last post by brunohill 17 Apr 2021 23:32" but the most recent post displayed to me in this thread is "by philupandgo » 28 Mar 2021 17:57". Is this some forum bug? Anyone else affected?
Rob the magician has pulled the deleted posts out of a hat! 🧙‍♂️

Not only that, he's a naughty magician and has revealed his trick to the other admins. So we know how to fix it now, should any more be found. He's fixed the one other topic that we know was affected. To remind me or other admins later, the magic word is "resynchronise".

Thanks, Rob!
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Thanks for the update @coulomb and thanks Rob! I have edited my earlier post in case the context causes confusion for future readers!
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

brunohill wrote: Sat, 17 Apr 2021, 21:32
Nagaman wrote: Sat, 17 Apr 2021, 17:33 ......and we’ve still got at least another 6 months before the Shepparton arts centre chargers, .......

Sorry Phil I got lost in the forum -
The AC ones didn’t seem familiar to me as I recall.
The fast ones however will be the logical first stop (from Melbourne) on the Newell Hwy .

(Oops - my editing incompetence is on full display )

[ Edited Coulomb: added missing end quote tag. ]
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Wow! Good news, the Shepparton arts centre museum “free” chargers (the big new grey building at the southern end of the lake) are now operational.....rather than the supposed October/November official opening
drlizau

Post by drlizau »

gee whiz, with some care I could get to Shepparton and with some charge I could get back!
Griffith > Narrandera > Jerilderie > ?Cobram > Shepparton
The world starts to open up to us
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

I notice the 50 kW in Echuca opened up today!

https://www.plugshare.com/location/316668

It's also in the Evie map already.

In the original proposal, Echuca was marked as 2x 25 kW units. Once again, good to see they went with the single 50 kW instead!
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

The arts museum ones in Shepparton are EVlink which is a new one on me.
They are free and you simply plug in and press start.

Now I went and checked out the ‘Fraser St’ fast charger site and I don’t think it could possibly be the right location.
There is no sight of activity….and you couldn’t find a worse spot - short dead end in the centre of the retail fashion precinct with a limited number of parking bays, the entrance couldn’t be more disguised ……..guaranteed to be ICEd by locals who know the entrance.
It’s a mystery

[ Edit Coulomb: removed stray? quote tag. ]
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

More on the EVlink AC chargers -
Made in France .
The one thing I’m confused about is the fact that the power button doesn’t stop a charge…..I ended up having to lock then open the car (MGZSEV) in order to release the plug from the vehicle.
What concerned me was that the green pulsing on/off switch indicated that it was still charging and I was worried about the possibility of arcing. Is this normal, shouldn’t it be switched off first?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Nagaman wrote: Sat, 01 May 2021, 08:36 The one thing I’m confused about is the fact that the power button doesn’t stop a charge…..I ended up having to lock then open the car (MGZSEV) in order to release the plug from the vehicle.
What concerned me was that the green pulsing on/off switch indicated that it was still charging and I was worried about the possibility of arcing. Is this normal, shouldn’t it be switched off first?
It's certainly highly desirable that the charger (in the car, for AC charging) switches off first. If not, you still have the fact that the pilot signal is shorter than the others, which should shut off the charge electrically before the power terminals disconnect. At least, I hope that's case with type 2 (it certainly is with type 1).

But I think that unlocking the type 2 charge port (by unlocking the car) should stop the charger from drawing significant power, even if the EVSE continues to supply it.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I went back today and checked again.
Nothing could be easier , at least with the MG.
Plug in and it starts, then use the key fob to unlock which also stops the charger.
All free and simple enough 4 me.
crustyman
Noobie

Post by crustyman »

Nagaman wrote: Sat, 01 May 2021, 13:33 I went back today and checked again.
Nothing could be easier , at least with the MG.
Plug in and it starts, then use the key fob to unlock which also stops the charger.
All free and simple enough 4 me.
Yeah I put them on PlugShare (I just went past to see how they were going and realised it was all up and running so plugged in and tested) I regularly visit Shepp in my Tesla and we now have an MG as well but until there is a bit more reliably charging network the MG won't be making the trip from Ballarat :)

Hopefully the 50kW DC ones are OK but my concern was like yours, they seem to be going in a really bad spot!
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

crustyman wrote: Sun, 02 May 2021, 16:50

Yeah I put them on PlugShare (I just went past to see how they were going and realised it was all up and running so plugged in and tested) I regularly visit Shepp in my Tesla and we now have an MG as well but until there is a bit more reliably charging network the MG won't be making the trip from Ballarat :)

Hopefully the 50kW DC ones are OK but my concern was like yours, they seem to be going in a really bad spot!
Hahahaha, so you have the same dual EV arrangement as us……ours is the white goods SR+.

The fast chargers couldn’t possibly be put in Fraser St . The street ‘entrance’ is all but invisible as you can see on Google satellite street level imagery. Northbound would have to do a lap around the block to access the hidden entrance. I’ve driven down Wyndham Street numerous times and have never seen the entrance. It’s a short dead end and the limited parking will be ICEd when the shops are open.
There is a substation at the base of a coms/observation tower.
Where did this location info come from ?

[ Edited Coulomb: combined two near-duplicate posts into one. ]
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

Fraser Street in Shepparton was mentioned in the following article from mid February
https://www.sheppadviser.com.au/start-me-up-shepparton/
The point is that it was to be located on council land.

That choice is why CTR is rolling out and the SA EVAP is stalled. Over there they are trying to get businesses to buy in. It is the wrong end of the EV transition to expect that.
Just to call me a liar, the Northern Territory has just opened its 2nd DC charger thanks to Jaycar in Alice Springs to go next to the one in Darwin thanks to Middendorp. Props to those local shops for setting a great example.

In more news, the new Echuca site has three bays with 2@50kw and 1@25kw, with redundancy provided by dissimilar hardware (but obviously on the same feed-in circuit). Hopefully all major centres will at least follow that format. And Newbridge has also gone live with 25kw DC. This is the right sized investment for all smaller towns provided that through-traffic is catered for elsewhere at good intervals, which is what appears to be happening.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Thanks Philip but the CTR - SA EVAP ?
I’m not familiar with the acronyms.

It will be interesting to see where the Shep 50s actually go because Fraser St is a nightmare location……it is beside a substation however and at the bottom of a coms/observation tower so that marks the spot all right.

You certainly need to keep an eye on the plugshare app for good news.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

Sorry for the shorthand. The South Aus EV Action Plan was announced in about November, but all i've seen since are general calls for businesses to put up proposals. We also have yet to hear anything regards the WA plan, but to be kind it has only been half as long and they were politically distracted recently. Interestingly, nothing appears to be happening on the NRMA roll-out. Perhaps they are re-negotiating to use the newer Tritium chargers.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Tritium are everywhere in Europe I’ve noticed.