OpenEVSE Charging Station any Users?

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
doggy

Re: OpenEVSE Charging Station any Users?

Post by doggy »

Here is the OpenEVSE board. Line input is two pins on the white connector. Your aim is to get the capacitor as close as you can get to this board. The Traco module is the PSU. I replaced the one they use (different brand) with this one which is a little less noisy and slightly better specced than the US supplied one. But I still need the capacitor. The PSU feeds back noise into the house wiring (and grid!) from where it radiates as EMI (Electromagnetic Interference). The interference is perhaps not very noticeable in an environment with strong AM radio stations, but we have weak stations and I also use ham radio, weatherfax, pactor radio and marine radio bands where it absolutely kills signals. So you could solder to underneath this board or add it to the plug that goes into the white socket. That is what I did by splicing it to the line-in wires.
Cheers,
Dave
Attachments
IMG_20210819_153656.jpg
IMG_20210819_153656.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 953 times
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
11kWHr LiFePO4 battery with 5kW inverter
5kWHr LiFePO4 battery running all computers. comms, CCTV
4.3kW AC Enphase solar system
1kW DC solar system
16 evac tube HWS with 300L
AEVA and TOCA member
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

doggy wrote: Wed, 18 Aug 2021, 15:26 I added a 275V AC rated capacitor of 0.47uF across the 240V input terminals to the control board.
I note that this has to be an "X rated" (no, not that kind of X rated) capacitor, as it sits across the mains. So it should have lots of standards agency logos on it, and X1 (best) or X2 written on it somewhere. Also called "safety capacitors". Ones that connect from mains conductors to earth have even higher ratings, Y2 or even Y1, but that's not needed here.

Like this:

X2 safety capacitor.jpg
X2 safety capacitor.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 951 times
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
doggy

Post by doggy »

Coulomb is totally correct. I thought I had said this, but looking back do not now think so. I think I put that info in another post where I originally reported the problem and fix on this forum.

They are modestly expensive at about A$8 to A$10 from places such as RS Components or Element 14. Absolutely do not use any old capacitor which is not marked as described and do not buy on eBay unless from a reputable electronics supplier.

Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
blue
Groupie

Post by blue »

Another question. I see it being recommended to install the European firmware. Is that necessary or desired?

If I need to install the European firmware does this standard kit bundle https://store.openevse.com/collections/ ... ced-bundle come with a programmer or do I need to add that in when I purchase? Thanks!
doggy

Post by doggy »

I use the European FW. From memory, definitely better for the 3ph side of things.

That bundle does not look like it contains a programmer.

However, you can get a programmer off eBay for a small handful of dollars. I have reprogrammed the main module many times. However, the WiFi side of things is done through a web browser. So, if I were you and buying the European bundle, I would not worry about a programmer at first as you will have the latest firmware when it ships and most of the changes and useful enhancements have been to the WiFi related stuff which you can easily install OTA.

Then later if you want to reprogram the "hardware" (so called), buy a cheap programmer. However, as that side of things is quite stable you probably won't want to.

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
blue
Groupie

Post by blue »

One reply I had above suggested I would want a tethered cable for home? I guess I will have a type 2 to type 2 cable anyway so might be ok to go with the European version and leave that plugged in unless I am going somewhere where I might need it to charge?
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Tethered as in, 32 amp mains plug on one end and the regular EV plug on the other? In my experience the 32 amp plug is a great way to have two EVSEs for the price of one. It spends 364 days of the year plugged in at my carport, and the one time I might need it on a long country trip, I can unscrew it from the wall and take it with me.
AEVA National President, retiring WA branch chair.
blue
Groupie

Post by blue »

I think the replier meant teathered as in permanently connected like the US OPENEVSE is. And by this I mean the Type 2 lead.
blue
Groupie

Post by blue »

As for the whole unit I plan to get a 3 phase connection installed in my garage and then connect the OPENEVSE to that so I can take it with me if I need to. Plus I avoid any issues with electrician not being happy with the lack of AU approval.
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

doggy wrote: Thu, 26 Aug 2021, 07:22 I use the European FW. From memory, definitely better for the 3ph side of things.
I'm interested in upgrading the OpenEVSE to 3-phase for the Zoe. I wonder if you could provide a link to the Euro version firmware?

All Google gives me is the standard OpenEVSE site at https://github.com/OpenEVSE
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
reecho

Post by reecho »

smithy2167 wrote: Thu, 26 Aug 2021, 15:03
doggy wrote: Thu, 26 Aug 2021, 07:22 I use the European FW. From memory, definitely better for the 3ph side of things.
I'm interested in upgrading the OpenEVSE to 3-phase for the Zoe. I wonder if you could provide a link to the Euro version firmware?

All Google gives me is the standard OpenEVSE site at https://github.com/OpenEVSE
https://github.com/openenergymonitor/op ... /releases/

Try here...
doggy

Post by doggy »

That's where I go.

It is worth subscribing to the openenergymonitor forum as there is plenty to read about regarding their OpenEVSE fork.

https://community.openenergymonitor.org/

then look for OpenEVSE

Also, be careful about which version of the hardware you have particularly which version of the WiFi (16bit versus 32bit).
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
blue
Groupie

Post by blue »

doggy wrote: Wed, 18 Aug 2021, 15:26 Ah- the EU model.
When you are referring to this (with the reduced electrical noise) are you referring to the OPENEVSE Europe Kit https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/open ... opean-kit/ or the EmonEVSE https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/emon ... on-type-2/

The latter being almost twice the price :-( so I hope its not that one...

Edit: Actually when I add the required cable in for the first one and since I plan to buy a type 2 to type 2 cable anyway the cost gap closes to only about $100 between the two...
doggy

Post by doggy »

Hi blue,
Sorry, no idea. I bought the US one which was single phase, modified it for 3ph and ran the EU software. Also installed the 0.47uF capacitor. So, it was more that 3 years ago and there was only one hardware EU variant then. I found out about their fix for the interference issue at that time when they had just secured the EU certification (equivalent to FCC for the US).
In those days, the cheapest option was to do what I did and buy the kit from the US. I asked them to delete the heavy 40amp relay but they would not do that (but times might have changed).
If I was building another one I would likely do the same again.
For the interference issue, I would nowadays install a fully balanced CLC (capacitor-inductor-capacitor) filter on the input to the PSU AC-DC converter for even better filtering. I have these installed on a number of power supplies around the house. It would be a tight squeeze in my box, but doable.

Regds,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
doggy

Post by doggy »

Just thought I would add a reminder to anyone planning to build an OpenEVSE which will be used on max power (3*32A, 22kW) to borrow or buy a hydraulic crimper. Soldered joints have a much higher resistivity than hydraulic crimped ones. You do not want your high current joins getting hot.
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
doggy

Post by doggy »

Here is the programmer shown connected to the controller board (my spare one).

No separate power required to the processor while programming.

Plugs into USB on a Linux box or Windoze if you use that.

Cheers,
Dave
Attachments
IMG_20210828_154201723.jpg
IMG_20210828_154201723.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 770 times
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
doggy

Post by doggy »

While I'm at it, here are the commands to save EEPROM and Flash and then re-programme with the emon 3ph firmware.

This is on a linux system and you need to have installed the avrdude programmer SW first.

avrdude -c usbasp -P usb -p atmega328p -U eeprom:r:oldevse.hex:i
avrdude -c usbasp -P usb -p atmega328p -U flash:r:oldevse_flash.hex:i
avrdude -c usbasp -P usb -p atmega328p -U flash:w:emonevse-3ph.hex
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
smithy2167
Groupie

Post by smithy2167 »

Thanks for the link to the "Euro" version.

I've had a read through the Release notes and forum and this is what I understand so far:
- the Euro version is different firmware for the ATMega only - currently v7.1.3 EU (emonevse.hex)
- the Euro version can be configured for 3-phase by setting a build-time #define (emonevse-3ph.hex)
- the Euro version has different defaults for Service Level (2) and Max Current (32A)
- there's only one version of the ESP software for both Euro and US (currently v4.1.0 which requires v7.1.2 or greater in the ATMega)
- anything else?

openevse and emonevse version numbers are the same (apart from the EU suffix) leading me to think that, apart from the above, they are essentially the same??
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
doggy

Post by doggy »

There are two different ESP firmwares, depending upon which module you have.

I have the older ESP and that is currently on the latest of 2.9.1. Memory space is pretty much maxed out.

I have been saying for 3yrs now that I am going to change the main firmware so when you set it for Type 1, it assumes single phase 235V and when using Auto or Type 2 it is 3ph. The normal Type 1 setting is of no use in Aus as it is 120V or something like that and gives incorrect kwhr figures. Setting at type 2 or auto assumes 3ph even if you are using single phase, so you need to divide things (total kwhrs, kwhr limit, current kw et al) by 3.

Still have not got around to it. I did compile and load up the firmware and started looking at the code but it was all a bit messy and I had other stuff to do........
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
doggy

Post by doggy »

Just some clarification- if you are installing an OpenEVSE to a fixed installation, then there is no need to be able to dynamically switch between 3ph and 1ph calculations.
However, in my case and that of several other people, we use our OpenEVSE at home and also "on the road".

A simple trick I use at the moment, is to publish my actual line voltage (for house charging) to the OpenEVSE RMS voltage topic and to divide it by 3 if single phase. If on the road and using three phase (e.g. at a Showground) I need not do anything because the 3ph firmware by default multiplies power by 3. If I am staying at the house of one of our kids, I can publish the voltage as 80 and then the displayed values and limits on the OpenEVSE work fine.

One other thing I just checked with the latest firmware. If you select "Type 1", the OpenEVSE assumes 120V (as expected). However, the power is multiplied by 3 so displayed power is 50% too high (unless you change the default voltage or MQTT it to 80).
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
facultative
Noobie

MG ZS

Post by facultative »

I just joined and my first question is this. Can the MG ZS model be charged via a 3 phase as my home has a 3 phase connection plug in my garage. I tried searching through many of the posts but could not land on a definitive answer to this question. Many thanks in advance for any answers on this.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yes, but you'll only get 7 kW - as the charger on the MG is only single phase.
AEVA National President, retiring WA branch chair.