South Australia - DC fast charging network

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Chuq
Groupie

South Australia - DC fast charging network

Post by Chuq »

The SA government has made an announcement that they will be funding a statewide charging network, including DC/rapid and AC/destination chargers, to the tune of $13.4 million!

https://aeva.asn.au/news/south-australi ... -vehicles/

https://thedriven.io/2020/11/06/south-a ... g-ev-push/

The above article from TheDriven includes a map supplied by the SA Government, replicated here:

Now, I'm trying to work out what, where and how many are being installed.

The numbers we have are:
(a) from the map above: number of sites and number of chargers, per region
- totals are 192 sites, 484 chargers

(b) statements from the media release:
- over 110 rapid chargers
- over 350 destination chargers, including 100 destination chargers in Adelaide

I though I could do some maths based on number of sites, number of chargers, etc and work out approximately what was going to be in each area, but plugging the numbers into a spreadsheet gave me this to start with:

But given that there will be 176 chargers in Adelaide metro area, if 100 are destination then that's 76 fast chargers that will be in Adelaide - of only 110 fast chargers total. Doesn't make sense. So I've put any further maths on hold until more info is available. Of course "over 100 destination chargers in Adelaide" could mean 101 and could mean 176.

Steven Marshall's press conference he said they do have a plan/structure for the charging network already laid out so presumably the numbers are based on *something*.
philupandgo
Groupie

Re: South Australia - DC fast charging network

Post by philupandgo »

At first i was concerned about an implication that they would only provide for 400km spacing for outback highways. On re-reading, the quote about new cars having at least 500km range is probably attributable to Mr Jafari of the EVC rather than to Mr van Holst Pellekaan, the energy minister. In my opinion cheaper cars will continue to offer shorter ranges, and the outback will require something else.

The announced plan is great and will likely support at least 200km spacings along the major highways to the north and west borders. The mapped locations are probably for "rapid" chargers (150-350kw?) and in-between locations will have "fast" chargers (50-100kw?); all were noted as being DC chargers. Other "rapid" chargers will be closer to Adelaide and other "fast destination" chargers (25-50kw?) will be in remote towns off the main routes. Unlike the hodge-podge Victorian plan, the shear number of sites and chargers suggests locations will be more logically chosen and charging speeds be based on expected stay times in each location rather than minimising of infrastructure spend.

In the end i'm pleased to see both plans underway and at a quick roll-out pace along with what is happening in Tasmainia and NSW. Hopefully WA will enact their proposed plan and Queensland and Victoria will extend their own announced plans into the following years. That just leaves NT with nothing on the board. Perhaps the federal government will feint and wake up to a new reality.

After putting up my 12 year whole of Australia plan with 300km spacings, stay tuned for a revision based around 200km for major routes and 400km in the outback. It lines up closely with this and the WA proposal. It seems that a future revision might have to speed up the roll-out to match what is actually happening. :)
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

To be honest, I don't think the locations on the map are supposed to be indicative of coverage. Note the "Eyre & Western" numbers in the bottom left. 23 sites, but only 8 shown on the map.

It *could* be that the map shows only 350 kW sites. But it could also be just a vague map so that news stories have a graphic to include. Interesting that some locations are specifically named, though, and others aren't.

The "existing 2020" locations appear to be located at Tailem Bend (Evie's existing site) and Keith (one of Chargefox's existing sites - Murray Bridge isn't shown).

The Sturt Highway sites are labelled as Nurioopta and Renmark - slightly offset from the under-construction NRMA 50 kW sites at Tanunda and Berri. Just enough to complement them and to serve as an alternate option but not enough to render then redundant.

I think 400 km in the outback is a bit too much - if one site is busy or out of service it's a lot more of a risk. Even some of the cheapest long range EVs (Kona and Model 3 SR+) would struggle to do these legs at highway speeds with the AC running.
wilkshake
Noobie

Post by wilkshake »

Here's the link to the full press release.
https://www.energymining.sa.gov.au/late ... ying_drive

The larger map has more detail as to where the chargers are going
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

More detail is good. My reading of the dotty fine print at bottom right is "Rapid Highway = 50kw to 250kw" and "Fast Destination = 7kw to 11kw". I guess in this terminology 350kw is "Ultra Rapid" as is generally printed on the can. Not that there are any cars yet that can charge that fast.

Edit: Looking closer at the list of places, i see that i was overly hopeful and Chuq was closer to reality. Charging rates are lower and sites are chosen based on local population rather than routes for passing traffic. I guess that's ok for a first roll-out, more like Victoria than NSW. The other sites will have to come later. The distance from Yalata to the WA border is too far for many vehicles so something in between will be needed, even if only for the benefit of duplication. Why are they umming and ahhing over Cowell or Whyalla. If Whyalla is your destination then destination charging is plenty to get back to Port Augusta, whereas the run on to Port Lincoln is unavailable for some without a rapid charger is at somewhere like Cowell. Yunta is better than my Manna Hill suggestion, so there is some good logic to the plan. But there isn't enough sites planned for the Mid North region as they are forcing some tourists to use specific routes (through Clare) rather than supporting all of them. My next plan was to put sites at Port Wakefield, Burra, Peterborough and Crystal Brook, because they support the most routes in different directions while remaining reasonably far apart. Yunta actually allows me to move the Peterborough site to the Orroroo junction, less than 200km to Parachilna (Flinders Ranges). If only it was this easy in real life.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

wilkshake wrote: Mon, 09 Nov 2020, 10:06 Here's the link to the full press release.
https://www.energymining.sa.gov.au/late ... ying_drive

The larger map has more detail as to where the chargers are going
Brilliant find, thanks @wilkshake!

From comparing the map and list it seems the only one I had got wrong (and the map has got wrong!) Is showing Burra (on the list) but Peterborough (on the map). I'm guessing the list is the correct one.

There's still some mismatch in numbers (check the "Barossa/Gawler Light/Adelaide Plains" one for example. 2 sites/4 chargers, but only one site (Nurioopta) listed with four chargers. Unless they mean two locations in Nurioopta itself...) But that's minor details - this information gives us a much clearer picture of what the plan is!
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Thinking out loud. Is 50 v 350 kW going to differentiated by the busier routes getting the 350s? Or the route where people want to stop for the shortest amount of time (e.g. Nullarbor/Stuart Hwy) getting the 350s?

Is it a safe assumption that any site listed as 4+ stalls is going to have at least one 350 kW unit?
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

I'm interested in the possibility of getting to Adelaide and back in the Leaf. The current tight spot from the Riverina, NSW is the run between Berri and Nuriootpa,using the Sturt Highway route. This year we took the ICE as driving the EV over and back could have been too 'interesting'. I agree that the planning does not consider the long distance traveller.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Liz - you might find that trip is best done in a Leaf during the cooler months, as the Leaf will throttle back your charge speeds in hot weather (or if the battery is hot).
Chuq - I think the more popular routes will get the faster chargers, simply to avoid any queues. The power requirements for an outback roadhouse with a 350 kW charger are enormous.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
OwenLewis
Noobie

Post by OwenLewis »

At Pt Wakefield no EV charger has been installed, but instead a new fossil fuel station has been opened. It is not convenient to drive north of Adelaide via Clare and Port Pirie is too far for most EVs. Who should we lobby?
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

OwenLewis wrote: Mon, 31 May 2021, 11:30 At Pt Wakefield no EV charger has been installed, but instead a new fossil fuel station has been opened. It is not convenient to drive north of Adelaide via Clare and Port Pirie is too far for most EVs. Who should we lobby?
ChargeFox is wanting suggested sites and is eager for feedback.
They want specific suitable sites.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

While we wait to see new charging infrastructure in South Australia, one thing we don't want to see is chargers being decommissioned. The new Chargefox ultra-rapid chargers are great and i used them four times in two days while in town and traveling down the peninsula. But surely we should not be reducing options. What about those who cannot use DC, those who want to spend time in town without hogging the big chargers. What if the ultras are off-line or have a queue waiting to use them.
MurrayBridgeACremoval.jpg
MurrayBridgeACremoval.jpg (890.94 KiB) Viewed 40 times
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

How much effort is it to maintain an AC EVSE, especially one like that with no cord? Compared to erecting a sign and decommissioning it? Grrr. >:-/
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.