New EV Charge Stations For North West Victoria

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Chuq
Groupie

New EV Charge Stations For North West Victoria

Post by Chuq »

Victorian Government is funding 15 charging stations in NW Victoria, as per this press release: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/new-elec ... t-victoria

It's a bit light on details. But I've done the homework for you!

No mention of AC or DC charging stations, however:
  • "More than 15 new electric vehicle charging stations will be constructed in north western Victorian towns"
  • "The Victorian Government is investing $664,000 to build the charging stations"
At an average of $44k per station, this suggests DC fast chargers to me. Just speculation.

As to where, the press release says:
  • "New charging stations will be in rural centres including Ouyen, Swan Hill, Kerang, Maryborough and Echuca, as well as smaller rural towns and key tourist sites."
This report from the CVGA is referenced: http://www.cvga.org.au/uploads/9/8/3/8/ ... ic__1_.pdf

Which includes the following map (cropped to the NW):

One thing that I thought was curious is that of the names provided, not a single one is on the main route to the area from Melbourne (Calder Freeway/Highway) until Ouyen which is 440 km away. But I guess only 5 names were listed out of 15.
Chuq
Groupie

Re: New EV Charge Stations For North West Victoria

Post by Chuq »

So the tender document is available - the sites, and respective chargers are:

2x 50 kW: Ouyen
1x 50 kW: Maryborough, Kerang
2x 25 kW: Robinvale, Echuca, Bendigo, Shepparton
1x 25 kW: Swan Hill, Cohuna, Inglewood, Newbridge, Wedderburn, Wycheproof, Sea Lake, Castlemaine, Harcourt, Whittlesea, Sale

I've ranted about this in other forums/social media, but this is extremely disappointing. It appears they haven't looked at what is useful, but just found what the cheapest chargers were that they could install, based on the existing capacity of the selected sites.

25 kW DC has it's uses, but how is the major route in the region (between Melbourne and Mildura) not covered with 50 kW chargers?

Remember, the Vic Government is contributing $664k for this, for 15 sites. An average of $44k per site. What a waste of government funds.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

The $664,000 was probably before the feasibility committee costs and consultancy charges. I guess you would be staying in town a bit longer and maybe spend some money.
philupandgo
Noobie

Post by philupandgo »

Yes. The way it was sold was that they could spend more and people would stay an hour, or spend less and they will stay for two.

For most of these towns, 25kw is a good toe in the water investment to see what happens, given their technical and financial resources, and it probably doesn't need much more as for them most drivers are not simply passing through. Echuca and Swan Hill will probably lift their game at some point being bigger towns. The big disappointments are Bendigo, Shepparton and Sale that should be installing multiple 150kw chargers on redundant circuits. The good news is that Maryborough, Kerang and Ouyen do provide a path to Mildura that is 70km and 45 minutes longer than the preferred route. Certainly doable and it will be interesting next year to plug them into ABRP to see which is quickest.

Wycheproof is a small town but seen as a key location for through traffic. They may need some help to get them into the fast lane, perhaps such as is happening between Perth and Esperance. There are some shires that have yet to show their hand, such as for St Arnaud and Yarawonga that i have unresonably high hopes for given their similarly key locations. Kerang and Ouyen, similarly sized, are showing the way and should be rewarded by us. Looking forward to see what happens in the south west and over in the east; and for an opportunity to leave Melbourne.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

For some locals that go to town to do their shopping once a week or for a meal at the pub, these chargers could make it doable with a 2nd hand LEAF. That is what I would do if there was a charger at Shepparaton, Yarrawonga or Benalla. I have heard of someone in Bright that would shop in Wangaratta if they could charge to get home( up hill). In the meantime I have to wait for Melbourne to get out of lockdown so I can pick up my Kona.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Chuq wrote: Sun, 13 Sep 2020, 14:46 So the tender document is available - the sites, and respective chargers are:

2x 50 kW: Ouyen
1x 50 kW: Maryborough, Kerang
2x 25 kW: Robinvale, Echuca, Bendigo, Shepparton
1x 25 kW: Swan Hill, Cohuna, Inglewood, Newbridge, Wedderburn, Wycheproof, Sea Lake, Castlemaine, Harcourt, Whittlesea, Sale

I've ranted about this in other forums/social media, but this is extremely disappointing. It appears they haven't looked at what is useful, but just found what the cheapest chargers were that they could install, based on the existing capacity of the selected sites.

25 kW DC has it's uses, but how is the major route in the region (between Melbourne and Mildura) not covered with 50 kW chargers?

Remember, the Vic Government is contributing $664k for this, for 15 sites. An average of $44k per site. What a waste of government funds.
I guess the faster the charging the less time spent spending in town .
The opposite of a ‘flyover’ attitude middle America complains of.
The towns are struggling desperately to survive due to regular droughts and farm consolidations.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

So yes, slower charging means more time in the town, where do they draw the line? Why don't they just install 7 kW chargers then? Or 15A power points? 25 kW is too slow to be useful on a road trip. When people ask "can I go from Melbourne to Mildura in an EV as easily as a petrol car?" the answer will unfortunately still be "no".

They should have put a 50 kW unit every ~150 km between Melbourne and Mildura, and between Shepparton and Mildura. Noting that Mildura already has a fast charger, that's seven sites which would be far more useful than the 18 they are proposing. Then if there is money left, a 25 kW half way between each of those. Then if there is money left after that, then 25 kW units in any other towns off to the side of these main routes.

What CVGA proposes (black - 50 kW, dark grey - 2x 25 kW, light grey - 25 kW) vs what we need (red circle - 50 kW)

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

25 kW Chargers are sooo much easier to install - no dicking around with the utility, just a sparky and a half a day's work.
Besides, an Ioniq can't really take more than about 25 kW anyway.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 16:23 25 kW Chargers are sooo much easier to install - no dicking around with the utility, just a sparky and a half a day's work.
They certainly are, and they're fine for many of the towns here, but they're not the right tool for the job of electrifying a major regional highway.
Besides, an Ioniq can't really take more than about 25 kW anyway.
That doesn't sound normal? https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/art ... ndai-Ioniq
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Chuq wrote: Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 16:17 So yes, slower charging means more time in the town, where do they draw the line? Why don't they just install 7 kW chargers then? Or 15A power points? 25 kW is too slow to be useful on a road trip. When people ask "can I go from Melbourne to Mildura in an EV as easily as a petrol car?" the answer will unfortunately still be "no".

They should have put a 50 kW unit every ~150 km between Melbourne and Mildura, and between Shepparton and Mildura. Noting that Mildura already has a fast charger, that's seven sites which would be far more useful than the 18 they are proposing. Then if there is money left, a 25 kW half way between each of those. Then if there is money left after that, then 25 kW units in any other towns off to the side of these main routes.

What CVGA proposes (black - 50 kW, dark grey - 2x 25 kW, light grey - 25 kW) vs what we need (red circle - 50 kW)

We used the free boost (limited to 11Kwh) from the Swan Hill shire outlet, combined with lunch and a wander around the shops and that was sufficient for our Model 3 SR+ to make Mildura.
Mildura and Horsham accomodation paid for our 1500+km trip.
Business people would usually fly to Mildura, but one day, a trip to Perth via Morgan- Port Augusta would be a different matter .
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I guess it depends if roll-out expediency and low budget are key driving factors, rather than ultimate customer experience.

The Ioniq does charge at 43 kW up to 50%, but this drops rapidly. If the goal is to get another 220 km down the road, I need to spend 1.5 hours at a 50 kW charger, meaning my effective charge rate is more like 22 kW... It's the only gripe I have with the car really.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 17:13 I guess it depends if roll-out expediency and low budget are key driving factors, rather than ultimate customer experience.
It doesn't have to be a compromise. The Tas Government put up less money than this ($550,000) and got ten sites with 1x 50kW and two with 2x 350 kW (obviously the station operators co-funded with their own money as well). Applications were made for either individual sites or groups of sites. Successful sites were carefully selected based on distances to other sites and ensuring each location complemented the others from a network point of view. I expect this region of Victoria is fairly similar to Tasmania in regards to land area, population density and volumes of traffic.

That's probably what irks me the most, the fact the money is being spent inefficiently, and when the government sees poor customer experiences and low usage they're not going to be keen to do it again.
philupandgo
Noobie

Post by philupandgo »

Chuq wrote: Mon, 05 Oct 2020, 17:59 the money is being spent inefficiently
I'm not sure where the Vic government money is going. I was surprised to see such a commitment in Ouyen so maybe that is where they are helping, and it would be good to see the same elsewhere with the other 90% of their funding. As for the local Shires, they were the main target of the campaign and they reasonably look to their own opportunities first. I heard on the news that the announced works are planned to be completed by April. (Like the Tassie venture was planned for July). We should see it as step one on a long path and encourage them each to build it up in the following year. And encourage others to better their neighbours. For now it is fine that Kerang gets a bigger charger than Echuca and Swan Hill After all we want speed of charging where we drive through and can afford to dawdle in the towns where we are likely to stop anyway. There is always a future opportunity.
philupandgo
Noobie

Post by philupandgo »

Daylesford wasn't in the announced list of towns building EV chargers, but there it is. The old J-1772 at 7kw has been replaced with CCS2/CHAdeMO at 25kw. See Plugshare. First of many.