OpenEVSE Charging Station any Users?

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
doug
Groupie

Re: OpenEVSE Charging Station any Users?

Post by doug »

Hi,
I am building a couple of OpenEVSEs. The first is an early board from an old relay kit bought years ago, but never finished. I just bought a Kona, so also bought a new (advanced) kit for it.
I am changing to TOU metering at home, so need to set up the charging for both the Imiev & the new Kona.
So, the old kit will go into the OpenEVSE box. I will use a 240v contactor powered by a small SSR. (because the old board does not have AC output) I have a recycled Outlander lead for this.

The new kit will be built into an Oxbro case (from Perth, manuf in South Africa). The OKO-OC case is about the same size as the OpenEVSE case, but high enough to fit a socket in the end. Base made from GRP, so strong. These cases are about $70, so not cheap.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

From memory, my box was a sealed waterproof ABS box from RS components and cost about $100. So your $70 is a good price. My Type2 connector mounts on the face plate. There is not much in the way of spare room. Still going strong and the box is very sturdy.
Good luck with it all.
Best Regds,
Dave

reecho

Post by reecho »

I see you are getting an Iotawatt kit soon Doug. Me too. Looking forward to it.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

doug wrote:
Sun, 12 Jul 2020, 08:37
I just bought a Kona,
Well that's a step up from the iMiEV! Well done mate!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

doug
Groupie

Post by doug »

Update:
currently stuck in Brisbane for another 2 weeks due to grandparently duties for our just born granddaughter. Luckily, I brought my computer!
I picked up the 2 Oxbro cases: Plenty of room in the Fibreglass base. (they are molded from paste, so not hand laid). The top is high, & I might have been able to use a lower lid.
Currently waiting on parts. I intend fitting a type ´B´ ELCB inside the case for safety. I have also ordered some TTP223 touch switches that I should be able to add to the Kit. (The type that is jumperable for active low output is needed. abt 50c ea from China) I noted the OpenEVSE touch switch has a switching transistor (buffer) that I do not think is necessary, but I will know when I try it! I have also programmed up an ESP8266 board as a WFI interface for the old EVSE. The old EVSE board will have an external SSR to drive the 240v contactor, instead of the original 14v relays. Contactors are more reliable. My box will be strong enough to fit the EVSE cable socket without extra support.
I will post some pictures, etc when construction begins. (This could be a resource for other builders)