AEVA Members: your Forum Login (here) is NOT the same as your new AEVA member login.
You do not need to change your existing Forum login.

BATHOT, no fans running... what to do?

Vectrix EV Interest Group
memecode
Groupie

BATHOT, no fans running... what to do?

Post by memecode »

As some of you are aware we had buckets of rain over the weekend, and my bike was parked out in it. So I'm guessing their might be water somewhere where it shouldn't be. This only showed up as I was arriving at work, some 23km from home. My concern is that it's not going to like going home without the fans operating. At the very least I'll have to keep a close eye on it and pick a route where I can stop if I need to.

If I do manage to get home where do I start with tracking down fan related issues? Obviously the sensors are still working, cause it's complaining about the heat. But it can't do anything about that...

antiscab

Re: BATHOT, no fans running... what to do?

Post by antiscab »

What temperature is being reported (kill switch in off position and right brake displays battery temp in dash)

Most likely the temp sensors got wet. They're pretty unreliable anyway.

The only fan is on the motor controller. The battery fans get removed to make space for the larger lithium batteries. If the mc fan isn't working you wouldn't make it to work.

Given battery voltage is reported in place of est range, you're running a newer firmware version. Likely it will allow you to charge without temp sensors
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

The fans do run for me in normal operation. I can hear them after riding for a while and then stopping, esp on hot days or harder riding+regen.

Is there a concern if I continue to ride while in this state?

Obviously the bike would've returned to ambient temp while I was at work all day. But the trip home it could heat up again. It if it really is overheating, that's bad for the batteries right? Thermal runaway etc?

This gives me hope:
https://visforvoltage.org/comment/78934#comment-78934

Although I don't like that it can be effected by the water. I wonder if it's humidity or actual liquid getting in there?

bladecar

Post by bladecar »

I remember following a conversation online years ago and someone commented that when using vectrixes in rain, the warning lights come on like a christmas tree, as anyone who's done that will know. I'm not sure if this is all you are talking about :)

memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

So the trip home and back to work today was completely uneventful. Thank goodness.

I think long term I need to pull the bike apart and look for places water can get in and seal them up.
antiscab wrote:
Mon, 10 Feb 2020, 10:06
What temperature is being reported (kill switch in off position and right brake displays battery temp in dash)
Will check if it happens again... good to know how.

Shorza
Noobie

Post by Shorza »

memecode wrote:
Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 08:00
So the trip home and back to work today was completely uneventful. Thank goodness.

I think long term I need to pull the bike apart and look for places water can get in and seal them up.
@memecode did you pull you're Vectrix apart and find the source of your problem? Mine has just created the same issue after being outside in the rain.

memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

Shorza wrote:
Thu, 02 Apr 2020, 20:42
memecode wrote:
Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 08:00

@memecode did you pull you're Vectrix apart and find the source of your problem? Mine has just created the same issue after being outside in the rain.
No I didn't, but I've taken to putting a tarp over the bike if it's going to rain heavily. And that kinda works around the problem in a ganky DIY sort of way. I'm just too busy at the moment to worry about it. Plus I don't have anywhere to go right now... the bike just sits there all day unused. Such is the working from home lot. The fever of cabin is increasing... :o

Shorza
Noobie

Post by Shorza »

Unfortunately (or fortunately) and an still traveling to work each day so will need reliable transport.

My trouble started after a large downpour, and i suspected water had gotten into the battery. I pulled everything apart and located a circuit board in the front of the battery within the frame.

This board would get water on it from rain dripping down the steering area on the dash. There are also 2 large intake holes behind the front wheel where water can get in towards the board and battery.

This circuit board contained some corrosion which i managed to clean with pure alcohol.
IMG_20200404_144659-1.jpg
IMG_20200404_144659-1.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 318 times
Attached to the board are the temperature sensors (thermistors). One of these was also corroded and probably causing a false reading. I cleaned this also.

Once back together, everything had been fine. I tried to cover up any areas where water could get in or at least re-route water away from the board.

No temperature warning or 'bathot' warning for the last week. Fingers crossed.